1.3.3 noise removal problem

Birdworks
Gale,
I downloaded Version 1.3.3, running on a mac g3 ibook, OS 10.4.6, and when I try to use Noise Removal effect(NR), the OK button remains dimmed, so I can't apply the effect.

my procedure is: I highlight the noise sample in soundwave, open NR, select get
noise sample, highlight the wave to select the area that I want the effect applied to,
reopen NR, and the OK and preview buttons are dimmed out, preventing me from
previewing and applying the effect. Am I making a procedural error?

Thanks for your help!
Regards, Peter
In a message dated 8/7/07 5:22:52 PM, [hidden email] writes:

    | From Birdworks
    | Tue, 7 Aug 2007 16:33:13 EDT
    | Subject: [Audacity-help] Audacity noise removal help
    | I'm running Audacity 1.2.6 on a mac g3, OS 10.2.8.
    | When I use the noise removal effect, I get  "bong-bong"
    | artifacts, when slider is set to less. As I move the slider
    | to increase the effect, the bongs go away, but the overall
    | sound is blown out. Any help gratefully welcomed!!

Generally you get less artefacts (but less noise removal) the further left
the slider is.  You can try reducing the amplification of the section of audio
you use for the Noise Profile. This may allow you to use a lower setting
on the slider in Step 2, so generate less artefacts. Please also see our page
of tips on removing noise including alternative techniques you may be able
to use:
http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=Noise_Removal

As you can see the Beta 1.3.3 version of Audacity has an improved Noise
Removal effect but unfortunately the Beta needs OS X 10.3 or later.
Unfortunately there are hardly any free noise removal plugins either on
Windows or OS X.

Gale Andrews

Outbound message virus free.
Tested on: 8/7/2007 10:22:25 PM

Re: 1.3.3 noise removal problem

audacity-help mailing list

    | From Birdworks
    | Wed, 8 Aug 2007 18:10:48 EDT
    | Subject: [Audacity-help] 1.3.3 noise removal problem
    | I downloaded Version 1.3.3, running on a mac g3 ibook, OS 10.4.6, and
    | when I try to use Noise Removal effect(NR), the OK button remains
    | dimmed, so I can't apply the effect.
    | my procedure is: I highlight the noise sample in soundwave, open NR,
    | select get noise sample, highlight the wave to select the area that I want
    | the effect applied to, reopen NR, and the OK and preview buttons are
    | dimmed out, preventing me from previewing and applying the effect.
    | Am I making a procedural error?

You are doing it quite correctly, but it would seem Audacity doesn't think the
profile has been captured. Please try again in case the Get Noise Profile
button is sticking. Meantime we'll test it out on a PPC Mac and come back to
you.

Gale Andrews

Outbound message virus free.
Tested on: 8/9/2007 12:00:47 AM

Re: 1.3.3 noise removal problem

Birdworks
Thanks again. I will try that, and look forward to the result of your attempt as well!
Peter
In a message dated 8/8/07 7:01:12 PM, [hidden email] writes:

    | From Birdworks
    | Wed, 8 Aug 2007 18:10:48 EDT
    | Subject: [Audacity-help] 1.3.3 noise removal problem
    | I downloaded Version 1.3.3, running on a mac g3 ibook, OS 10.4.6, and
    | when I try to use Noise Removal effect(NR), the OK button remains
    | dimmed, so I can't apply the effect.
    | my procedure is: I highlight the noise sample in soundwave, open NR,
    | select get noise sample, highlight the wave to select the area that I want
    | the effect applied to, reopen NR, and the OK and preview buttons are
    | dimmed out, preventing me from previewing and applying the effect.
    | Am I making a procedural error?

You are doing it quite correctly, but it would seem Audacity doesn't think the
profile has been captured. Please try again in case the Get Noise Profile
button is sticking. Meantime we'll test it out on a PPC Mac and come back to
you.

Gale Andrews

Outbound message virus free.
Tested on: 8/9/2007 12:00:47 AM

Re: 1.3.3 noise removal problem

Birdworks
Hi Gale,
Any news about the noise removal effect? I have not been able to get it
to work. Could there perhaps be an issue with having Audacity  versions 1.3
and 1.3.3 installed at the same time?
Thanks!
Peter Stetler
In a message dated 8/8/07 7:01:12 PM, [hidden email] writes:

    | From Birdworks
    | Wed, 8 Aug 2007 18:10:48 EDT
    | Subject: [Audacity-help] 1.3.3 noise removal problem
    | I downloaded Version 1.3.3, running on a mac g3 ibook, OS 10.4.6, and
    | when I try to use Noise Removal effect(NR), the OK button remains
    | dimmed, so I can't apply the effect.
    | my procedure is: I highlight the noise sample in soundwave, open NR,
    | select get noise sample, highlight the wave to select the area that I want
    | the effect applied to, reopen NR, and the OK and preview buttons are
    | dimmed out, preventing me from previewing and applying the effect.
    | Am I making a procedural error?

You are doing it quite correctly, but it would seem Audacity doesn't think the
profile has been captured. Please try again in case the Get Noise Profile
button is sticking. Meantime we'll test it out on a PPC Mac and come back to
you.

Gale Andrews

Outbound message virus free.
Tested on: 8/9/2007 12:00:47 AM

Re: 1.3.3 noise removal problem

audacity-help mailing list

    | From Birdworks
    | Mon, 13 Aug 2007 11:36:57 EDT
    | Subject: [Audacity-help] 1.3.3 noise removal problem
    | Any news about the noise removal effect? I have not been able to get it
    | to work. Could there perhaps be an issue with having Audacity  versions 1.3
    | and 1.3.3 installed at the same time? [ 1.3.3, running on a mac g3 ibook,
    | OS 10.4.6]

Noise Removal works on a PPC Mac for us, and as we don't have any other
reports we can't really fix anything unfortunately. You could try building
Audacity 1.3.3 yourself from our current CVS code:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/community/developers#cvs

Installing different versions of 1.3.x should not matter but you could
alternatively try updating your earlier 1.3 to the previous 1.3.2:
http://belnet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/audacity/audacity-macosx-ppc-1.3.2.dmg

which will give you a more recent alternative 1.3.x, and try the release candidate
for 1.3.3 which should be similar to the released 1.3.3:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/files/audacity-macos-ub-1.3.3rc2.dmg

Gale Andrews

Outbound message virus free.
Tested on: 8/13/2007 5:39:49 PM

Re: 1.3.3 noise removal problem

Birdworks
Thanks for your help!!
Peter
In a message dated 8/13/07 12:40:07 PM, [hidden email] writes:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/community/developers#cvs

Re: 1.3.3 noise removal problem

audacity-help mailing list

    | From Birdworks
    | Mon, 13 Aug 2007 11:36:57 EDT
    | Subject: [Audacity-help] 1.3.3 noise removal problem
    | Any news about the noise removal effect? I have not been able to get it
    | to work. Could there perhaps be an issue with having Audacity  versions 1.3
    | and 1.3.3 installed at the same time? [ 1.3.3, running on a mac g3 ibook,
    | OS 10.4.6]

Further to our last response that we could not replicate the problem, are you
possibly only running your versions of Audacity from the downloaded .dmg
instead of having installed them from the .dmg into their own folder? If so, it
is possible the location to which Audacity tries to write the noisegate.nrp
Noise Removal Profile file will be read-only and so the Noise Profile will not be
created.

If you have not installed Audacity from the .dmg contents, please do so thus:

* Inside your Applications folder, create a folder called "Audacity".
* Double-click the downloaded .dmg to mount it
* Option-drag the whole of the .dmg contents (not the .dmg itself)
   into the "Audacity" folder you created
* Double-click Audacity.app inside the Applications folder to launch it

Please let us know if this helps.

Gale Andrews

Outbound message virus free.
Tested on: 9/6/2007 9:39:23 AM

Re: 1.3.3 noise removal problem

Birdworks
Dale,
You nailed it!!! I threw out all versions, de-downloaded 1.3.3,
installed according to your instructions and boom! operational.
Thanks so much for following up!
Give Dale a Raise!!!
Best wishes,
Peter Stetler
In a message dated 9/6/07 4:39:35 AM, [hidden email] writes:

    | From Birdworks
    | Mon, 13 Aug 2007 11:36:57 EDT
    | Subject: [Audacity-help] 1.3.3 noise removal problem
    | Any news about the noise removal effect? I have not been able to get it
    | to work. Could there perhaps be an issue with having Audacity  versions 1.3
    | and 1.3.3 installed at the same time? [ 1.3.3, running on a mac g3 ibook,
    | OS 10.4.6]

Further to our last response that we could not replicate the problem, are you
possibly only running your versions of Audacity from the downloaded .dmg
instead of having installed them from the .dmg into their own folder? If so, it
is possible the location to which Audacity tries to write the noisegate.nrp
Noise Removal Profile file will be read-only and so the Noise Profile will not be
created.

If you have not installed Audacity from the .dmg contents, please do so thus:

* Inside your Applications folder, create a folder called "Audacity".
* Double-click the downloaded .dmg to mount it
* Option-drag the whole of the .dmg contents (not the .dmg itself)
   into the "Audacity" folder you created
* Double-click Audacity.app inside the Applications folder to launch it

Please let us know if this helps.

Gale Andrews

Outbound message virus free.
Tested on: 9/6/2007 9:39:23 AM

Re: 1.3.3 noise removal problem

Silje
HEYY; I REALLY NEED HELP.
I have a efffect called noise removal and when i did this effect then all my songs got destroyed!!!
Can someone PLEASE help ??!
i need really help, or i can't listening to my songs enymore :(
THANKS