Quantcast

2.1.3 RC1 release candidates.

James Crook
Audacity 2.1.3 RC1 release candidates are on FossHub.
https://www.fosshub.com/Audacity.html

These are the same as the jc12 versions I shared earlier off list.
Linux tarball still being worked on.

--James.

audacity-win-2.1.3-rc1.exe    (application/x-msdownload) - 27061000 bytes
SHA-1    3473f78896f20f8a432ebf497082fa0f43ff3fd8
SHA-256    b0fa7907140fc6e80657a0b8811d9c7e682039fd3a8ec898164680f1e3abfd9c
SHA-384    b41af39c50cb62f934b974bc517745cb77c2fd25847b0490c3dd1e2e9b9e414293b654eb95376aeffd268f563d5b7841
SHA-512    d710d55bc0c86e3cd350616201dbd41f0b49e0797a0242f36acf38a7ada30ae6e2c6ec37b24a69691ad8ecb1c5ec03795952ed0977830aa2b67bdfb442e98619

audacity-win-2.1.3-rc1.zip    (application/x-zip-compressed) - 11972949 bytes
SHA-1    14aa7895c10908acd5dea2e178cface1e0bf66db
SHA-256    8aa50b70e7d320a6db236b3c028996f1c431d3541dc14cc1e4e5747cde3649f4
SHA-384    046f99f6b93c40ef77804572ffc0c0ba2edfcf716a50d30c9cb853c7163e24f04c246f7569bd87829069c8f04a13cb5b
SHA-512    a39b16c50522ae131fe68fe4c94f951661951a0c2b968ab925ead35ce4e13b0c7802a68f54cc3da9fa84c52aa164fe88f90d3e06f4154ce92fd2b8916eab3b83

audacity-mac-2.1.3-rc1.dmg    (n/a) - 34225092 bytes
SHA-1    54c446f30b6012fcdc68592ff0c4785773058fd4
SHA-256    c9d812eccae717cccdc5d49ce2002b1afb0dc3e36139505c75d2c1da8aac498a
SHA-384    33e702b0c20168c4dc388bb387ca68fda53f42dd6e3156720500e259876efcbe83abea01d137891f9b13faa5c88f3787
SHA-512    9fc519b6047bb4ff12635074fa9344aca2b4cf545dd55a89a547f3b19af78c0cc3cf6882ab9a541079c07a72233d1171b50e3f62c27b120393b96a4b73e70b80

Re: 2.1.3 RC1 release candidates.

Peter Sampson-2
Testing RC1 on my W10 laptop - using the .exe installer, installing over
a previous 2.1.2 installation.

Testing on  my main adin account

1) Downloads and fires up fine

Testing on a new account that is virgin to Aufacity and has no admin priveleges
(as per DAvid Bailes' suggestion elsewher to thest the Save/Export defualt targetting).

2) LAME and FFmpeg libraries located correctly

3) all Nyquist effects present and correct with no duplicates

4) Save As and Save - both correctly target ...\Documents\Audacity

5) Exprt Audio, Export Selected AUdio and Export Multiple correctly target ...\Documents\Audacity

6) Export Label targets the directory to which my admin user installed Audacity and thus the
location from which this test account launched Audacity.  (This should be fixed for 2.2.0)

So far looking good to go on W10.

Will continue to give this extensive user testing over the coming week on live projects.
I am not anticipating problems as I have been using alphas for my production work for
many months now with no problems.

Will do some Mac testing shortly.

Re: 2.1.3 RC1 release candidates.

Peter Sampson-2
Testing on Macbook Pro Sierra 10.12.3

1) Main admin account
a) installed 2.1.3 RC1 from the DMG
b) created and Audacity.app in the Applications folder
c) this sits alongside the Audacity folder that contains 2.1.2, given no chance to overwrite 2.1.2
d) FFmpeg and LAME lbraries located automatically ok
e) All Nyquist present and correct with no duplicates
f) All Saves default target ~/Documents
g) Export Audio/Selected and Export Multiple default target ~/Documents
h) Export Labels default targets ~/Documents

2) Test standard account
a) two Audacity icons visible in Launchapad with no diferentation - so confusing for the user
b) RC1 fies up and runs fine
c) FFmpeg and LAME lbraries located automatically ok
d) All Nyquist present and correct with no duplicates
e) All Saves default target ~/Documents
f) Export Audio/Selected and Export Multiple default target last location used by 2.1.2 Audacity
g) Export Labels default targets last location used by 2.1.2 Audacity (happens to be desktop)

3) Guest account
a) no Audacity icons showing in Launchpad
b) Audacity.app and Audacity Folder both present in /Applications - so similarly confusing for the user
c) RC1 fies up and runs fine
d) FFmpeg located automatically ok
e) LAME librarry not located bit Guest can temporarilt install ok
f) All Nyquist present and correct with no duplicates
g) All Saves default target ~/Documents
h) Export Audio/Selected and Export Multiple default target ~/Documents
i) Export Labels default targets ~/Documents
(remember that Guest folders are clean when logging in as on last logout all files are purged)

Basically looking good to go on Mac Sierra.

Will try to find time for more MAc Sierra testing during the week.

Cheers,

Re: 2.1.3 RC1 release candidates.

Cliff Scott

On Feb 10, 2017, at 8:25 AM, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Peter,

Could you tell me where Lame in installed in your Admin account? I'm puzzled why I don't see this on my Guest account. It finds Lame just fine where it is already installed on the system.

Cliff

f) All Nyquist present and correct with no duplicates
g) All Saves default target ~/Documents
h) Export Audio/Selected and Export Multiple default target ~/Documents
i) Export Labels default targets ~/Documents
(remember that Guest folders are clean when logging in as on last logout all files are purged)

Basically looking good to go on Mac Sierra.

Will try to find time for more MAc Sierra testing during the week.

Cheers,

Re: 2.1.3 RC1 release candidates.

Bill Wharrie

On 2017/02/10, at 9:25 AM, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]> wrote:

Testing on Macbook Pro Sierra 10.12.3

1) Main admin account
a) installed 2.1.3 RC1 from the DMG
b) created and Audacity.app in the Applications folder
c) this sits alongside the Audacity folder that contains 2.1.2, given no chance to overwrite 2.1.2
d) FFmpeg and LAME lbraries located automatically ok
e) All Nyquist present and correct with no duplicates

This was not my experience when testing jc12 (which I understand is identical to RC1). Did pluginregistry.cfg exist in ~/Library/Application Support/audacity when you launched 2.1.3?

In my experience the test is to first launch 2.1.2 and do Effect > Add / Remove Plugins, which creates the pluginregistry.cfg file. (Simply launching and quitting 2.1.2 will not do it.) On subsequently launching 2.1.3 you should see duplicate Nyquist plug-ins since they still exist in the 2.1.2 folder.

— Bill

[...]

probono
> Audacity 2.1.3 RC1 release candidates are on FossHub.

Not an official RC, but an experimental AppImage build for Linux from
the latest GitHub codebase as of today:

https://transfer.sh/TeIBH/audacity-travis18-glibc2.15-x86-64.appimage

Should run on most 2014-ish and later 64-bit Linux distributions. Does
not install anything into the system, because all dependencies that
cannot be expected to come with most distributions are bundled inside
the self-mounting filesystem image. To run it, just download the one
file, chmod +x it, and execute. Let me know if you run into issues, it
is expected that some fine-tuning may be needed.

Cliff wrote:
>Could you tell me where Lame in installed in your Admin account? I'm puzzled why I don't
>see this on my Guest account. It finds Lame just fine where it is already installed on the system.

It's in /usr/local/lib/audacity/libmp3lame.dylib

FFmpeg is in:

/Library/Application Support/audacity/libs/libavformat.55.dylib

Bill wrote:
>This was not my experience when testing jc12 (which I understand is identical to RC1).
>Did pluginregistry.cfg exist in ~/Library/Application Support/audacity when you launched 2.1.3?

>In my experience the test is to first launch 2.1.2 and do Effect > Add / Remove Plugins, which
>creates the pluginregistry.cfg file. (Simply launching and quitting 2.1.2 will not do it.) On subsequently
>launching 2.1.3 you should see duplicate Nyquist plug-ins since they still exist in the 2.1.2 folder

1) Ok so I purged ~/Library/Application Support/audacity of all contents

2) Ran 2.1.2 and exited - as Bill says no pluginregistry.cfg exists
But this time no Nyquist effects visible/available
Exit Audacity

3) Ran 2.1.2, used plug-in manager to add classic filters
this creates a pluginregistry.cfg
still no Nyquist effects visible/available
Exit Audacity

4) Launch 2.1.3 RC1
All Nyquist effects present with no duplicates.
Used plg-in manager to add SC4
still all Nyquist effects present with no duplicates.

Re: 2.1.3 RC1 release candidates.

Cliff Scott
Thanks. Exactly the same here. Strange how Guest responds differently on our systems.

Cliff

> On Feb 10, 2017, at 11:58 AM, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Cliff wrote:
> >Could you tell me where Lame in installed in your Admin account? I'm puzzled why I don't
> >see this on my Guest account. It finds Lame just fine where it is already installed on the system.
>
> It's in /usr/local/lib/audacity/libmp3lame.dylib
>

> FFmpeg is in:
>
> /Library/Application Support/audacity/libs/libavformat.55.dylib
>
> Peter

Re: 2.1.3 RC1 release candidates.

Bill Wharrie

> On 2017/02/10, at 1:14 PM, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Bill wrote:
> >This was not my experience when testing jc12 (which I understand is identical to RC1).
> >Did pluginregistry.cfg exist in ~/Library/Application Support/audacity when you launched 2.1.3?
>
> >In my experience the test is to first launch 2.1.2 and do Effect > Add / Remove Plugins, which
> >creates the pluginregistry.cfg file. (Simply launching and quitting 2.1.2 will not do it.) On subsequently
> >launching 2.1.3 you should see duplicate Nyquist plug-ins since they still exist in the 2.1.2 folder

Perhaps you’re not seeing Nyquist effects with 2.1.2 due to Gatekeeper issues in Sierra? I’m running El Capitan.

> 1) Ok so I purged ~/Library/Application Support/audacity of all contents

I trashed the audacity folder.

> 2) Ran 2.1.2 and exited - as Bill says no pluginregistry.cfg exists

Ran 2.1.2 from its folder, which contains the plug-ins folder which contains the Nyquist effects.

> But this time no Nyquist effects visible/available

In my case all Nyquist plug-ins are in the menus.

> Exit Audacity
>
> 3) Ran 2.1.2, used plug-in manager to add classic filters

Did not exit 2.1.2 but opened plug-in manager and Cancelled it.
pluginregistry.cfg is created in invoking the plug-in manager.

> this creates a pluginregistry.cfg
> still no Nyquist effects visible/available

In my case, Nyquist plug-ins are visible in the menus and the manager.

> Exit Audacity

Exit 2.1.2.

> 4) Launch 2.1.3 RC1
> All Nyquist effects present with no duplicates.

Launch 2.1.3.
Duplicate Nyquist plug-ins appear in menus and manager.

The difference must be El Capitan versus Sierra.

— Bill

> Used plg-in manager to add SC4
> still all Nyquist effects present with no duplicates.
>
> Peter.

Re: 2.1.3 RC1 release candidates.

Thanks for testing, Peter. Couple of comments inline.

On 10 February 2017 at 13:52, Peter Sampson
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Testing RC1 on my W10 laptop - using the .exe installer, installing over
> a previous 2.1.2 installation.
>
> Testing on  my main adin account
>
> 1) Downloads and fires up fine
>
> Testing on a new account that is virgin to Aufacity and has no admin
> priveleges
> (as per DAvid Bailes' suggestion elsewher to thest the Save/Export defualt
> targetting).
>
> 2) LAME and FFmpeg libraries located correctly
>
> 3) all Nyquist effects present and correct with no duplicates
>
> 4) Save As and Save - both correctly target ...\Documents\Audacity
>
> 5) Exprt Audio, Export Selected AUdio and Export Multiple correctly target
> ...\Documents\Audacity
>
> 6) Export Label targets the directory to which my admin user installed
> Audacity and thus the
> location from which this test account launched Audacity.  (This should be
> fixed for 2.2.0)

"Should" would imply P1 rating.

> So far looking good to go on W10.
>
> Will continue to give this extensive user testing over the coming week on
> live projects.
> I am not anticipating problems as I have been using alphas for my production
> work for
> many months now with no problems.

True. But the builds we're releasing are built on a different machine
than the alphas you test, possibly with different Visual Studio settings. .

Gale

> Will do some Mac testing shortly.
>
> Peter

Re: 2.1.3 RC1 release candidates.

Peter Sampson-2
>> So far looking good to go on W10.
>>
>> Will continue to give this extensive user testing over the coming week on
>> live projects.
>> I am not anticipating problems as I have been using alphas for my production
>> work for
>> many months now with no problems.
>
>True. But the builds we're releasing are built on a different machine
>than the alphas you test, possibly with different Visual Studio settings. .

Precisely - that's exactly why I choose not to build Audacity - in order that I can QA
test as close as possible to the environmement of a "normal civilian user" on both
Windows and macOS.

"... different Visual Stusio settings" - I don't have VS and I have no intention of
acquiring it - I have no need of it.  ;-)

Cliff wrote:
>Thanks. Exactly the same here. Strange how Guest responds differently on our systems.

Indeed - it seems to me that each of our Macs, yours, mine, Gale's and Bill's all seem to
operate subtly differently - most odd :-//

Re: 2.1.3 RC1 release candidates.

On 10 February 2017 at 19:29, Peter Sampson
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> So far looking good to go on W10.
>>>
>>> Will continue to give this extensive user testing over the coming week on
>>> live projects.
>>> I am not anticipating problems as I have been using alphas for my
>>> production
>>> work for
>>> many months now with no problems.
>>
>>True. But the builds we're releasing are built on a different machine
>>than the alphas you test, possibly with different Visual Studio settings. .
>
> Precisely - that's exactly why I choose not to build Audacity - in order
> that I can QA
> test as close as possible to the environmement of a "normal civilian user"
> on both
> Windows and macOS.
>
> "... different Visual Stusio settings" - I don't have VS and I have no
> intention of
> acquiring it - I have no need of it.  ;-)

I know, but that's not the point I was making, Peter.

What I was pointing out was that I build the alphas you test, but in a
change from recent releases, someone else (James) has built the
release.

My and James's build environments are (FWIW) almost certainly not
exactly the same, of which Visual Studio settings and version may be
an example.

Re: 2.1.3 RC1 release candidates.

Peter Sampson-2
Spent this afternoon testing all the new 2.1.3 features that are mentioned
in the draft Release Notes and on the pages in the Manual on New Features.

Testing on both W10 and Mac Sierra 10.12.3 all new fetures seem to work
as intended.

Peter wrote:
>> 6) Export Label targets the directory to which my admin user installed
>> Audacity and thus the
>> location from which this test account launched Audacity.  (This should be
>> fixed for 2.2.0)

Gale replied:
>"Should" would imply P1 rating.

Testing this again today on RC 1 on W10 seems to show that Audacity is using
a last-used Windows location - when testing today wiith a clened out
AppData/Romaing/Audacity folder and then running RC1 to create and then
export some labels I was instead offered the desktop.

And in either case I would have thought that P1 was rather too high - I would hve
thought that P3 and a Release Note entry would suffice.

Re: 2.1.3 RC1 release candidates.

Peter Sampson-2
Testing 2.1.3 RC1 on W10 laptop

I've given it a good run through of my regular (twice/thrice weekly) workflow:

1) Open webstream for later webcast radio
2) Launch Audacity
3) Save empty project
4) Set up Timer record with an automatic save on completion (as a backup for the project files)
5) The unattended midnight to 2am recording worked fine
6) Trim off the 5mins each end (the saftety recording buffers)
7) Use Noise Reduction (two passes needed) to remove the webcast carrier hiss
8) Identify the ad break in the middle of the show and remove ads
9) Amplify to -2dB
10) Export a WAV file for my own use (xfr to USB clip for playing on my X30 "jukebox")
11) Export a 192 fixed rate stereo MP3
12) Copy that MP3 to Dropbox and publish the recording by posting the Dropbox Link in the show's Facebook Event

Whole process ran flawlessly.

Re: 2.1.3 RC1 release candidates.

Peter Sampson-2
Testing 2.1.3 RC1 on XP

1) My XP machine is air-gapped freom the Internet and my router
2) Copied the .exe installation file from my W10 laptop to USB stick
3) Installed 2,1.3 RC1 in the XP machine from USB stick
4) Launched 2.1.3 RC1 and did some basic simple tests (including drag&drop import audio) - all look fine
5) This XP desktop has no soundcard so no onborad I/O so Device Toolbar has blank inputs
6) Plugged my USB soundcard (with FM radio attached) into the XP box
7) Transport > Rescan Audio Devices
8) USB device recognized and selected
9) Recording from the USB device and playback through it work fine.

RC1 looking good on XP

Re: 2.1.3 RC1 release candidates.

Peter Sampson-2
Testing USB sound device (Edirol UA-1EX) with 2.1.3 RC1

1) with macOS Sierra 10.12.3 - after plugin and rescan devcie seen fine
as both input and output.

2) with Windows XP - after plugin and rescan devcie seen fine
as both input and output

3) However with W10 the UA-1EX is only visible as an input device, I cannet see
it as an output device (and thus set output to it) with any of the three vailable
hosts: MME, WDS or WASAPI.  2.1.3 RC1 only sees my onboard Relatek
as an available output devce.

No while this is not a problem grom me as I record from the UA-1EX but output via
the onboard Realtek card - this could be a problem for other USB soundcard users.

Re: 2.1.3 RC1 release candidates.

Thanks.  XP was one of my worries. This gives me confirmation I built
correctly for XP.
--James.