Quantcast

2.1.3 Released.

James Crook
2.1.3 is now released.  IS_ALPHA is back to 1, and the development
source code is now set for 2.2.0.

Over a year's work in this release.  Thanks to everyone involved.  Only
happens at all because of the team effort.

--James.
(RM for 2.1.3)

Re: 2.1.3 Released.

Paul Licameli
Okay to push?

I have one or two things...

PRL

On 3/17/2017 9:37 PM, Paul Licameli wrote:
> Okay to push?
Not my call anymore :-)  [translation: Go ahead!].

I'd personally rather you didn't push your menu changes though, as I
have menu rearrangement to go in too, but branch 'various' is nice, and
I'd like to see it in.  Someone needs to do a tally of what library
upgrades are likely for 2.2.0 too, as they are risky and we like to get
them in early.

Re: 2.1.3 Released.

Paul Licameli

On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 5:51 PM, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 3/17/2017 9:37 PM, Paul Licameli wrote:
> Okay to push?
Not my call anymore :-)  [translation: Go ahead!].

I'd personally rather you didn't push your menu changes though, as I
have menu rearrangement to go in too, but branch 'various' is nice, and
I'd like to see it in.  Someone needs to do a tally of what library
upgrades are likely for 2.2.0 too, as they are risky and we like to get
them in early.

Which menu changes do you mean?

There are rearrangements of popup menu code in my track-panel-refactor branch, but I don't mean to do anything about reorganizing the toolbar menus.  I did push something to my origin for toolbar menu reorganization, but that's old now, I consider it abandoned.

However track-panel-refactor is not for the very near future.  What I want to do first is address naked-news and various minor bugs.  I will do that very soon.

Then I want tol work on the exception safety project, and with that in place, deal with disk exhaustion by throwing exceptions.  This relates to bug 437.  Examining how to address that bug right had all sorts of incidental fallout.

I have nothing to say about library upgrades.

Re: 2.1.3 Released.

James Crook
On 3/17/2017 10:11 PM, Paul Licameli wrote:

> Which menu changes do you mean?
96695c7

> There are rearrangements of popup menu code in my track-panel-refactor
> branch, but I don't mean to do anything about reorganizing the toolbar
> menus.  I did push something to my origin for toolbar menu reorganization,
> but that's old now, I consider it abandoned.
>
> However track-panel-refactor is not for the very near future.  What I want
> to do first is address naked-news and various minor bugs.  I will do that
> very soon.
>
> Then I want tol work on the exception safety project, and with that in
> place, deal with disk exhaustion by throwing exceptions.  This relates to
> bug 437.  Examining how to address that bug right had all sorts of
> incidental fallout.
>
> I have nothing to say about library upgrades.
>
> PRL

Re: 2.1.3 Released.

Paul Licameli

On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 6:23 PM, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 3/17/2017 10:11 PM, Paul Licameli wrote:

> Which menu changes do you mean?
96695c7

Right, that's abandoned.

> There are rearrangements of popup menu code in my track-panel-refactor
> branch, but I don't mean to do anything about reorganizing the toolbar
> menus.  I did push something to my origin for toolbar menu reorganization,
> but that's old now, I consider it abandoned.
>
> However track-panel-refactor is not for the very near future.  What I want
> to do first is address naked-news and various minor bugs.  I will do that
> very soon.
>
> Then I want tol work on the exception safety project, and with that in
> place, deal with disk exhaustion by throwing exceptions.  This relates to
> bug 437.  Examining how to address that bug right had all sorts of
> incidental fallout.
>
> I have nothing to say about library upgrades.
>
> PRL

Re: 2.1.3 Released.

I have not looked at all of the libs, but PortAudio, libflac and libsndfile
seem reasonable choices.

PortAudio seem not to have merged changes which might have
really helped us (a PortAudio API for pulse, and hotplug support)
but there seem to have been a number of WASAPI fixes:
https://app.assembla.com/spaces/portaudio/git/commits/list .

Updating libsndfile gives us some good security fixes, among
others:

Version 1.0.27 (2016-06-19)
  * Fix an SF_INFO seekable flag regression introduced in 1.0.26.
  * Fix potential infinite loops on malformed input files.
  * Add string metadata read/write for CAF and RF64.
  * Add handling of CUE chunks.
  * Fix enaian-ness issues in PAF files.
  * Minor bug fixes and improvements.

Version 1.0.26 (2015-11-22)
  * Fix for CVE-2014-9496, SD2 buffer read overflow.
  * Fix for CVE-2014-9756, file_io.c divide by zero.
  * Fix for CVE-2015-7805, AIFF heap write overflow.
  * Add support for ALAC encoder in a CAF container.
  * Add support for Cart chunks in WAV files.
  * Minor bug fixes and improvements.

Version 1.0.25 (2011-07-13)
  * Fix for Secunia Advisory SA45125, heap overflow in PAF file handler.
  * Accept broken WAV files with blockalign == 0.
  * Minor bug fixes and improvements.

Gale

On 17 March 2017 at 21:51, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 3/17/2017 9:37 PM, Paul Licameli wrote:
>> Okay to push?
> Not my call anymore :-)  [translation: Go ahead!].
>
> I'd personally rather you didn't push your menu changes though, as I
> have menu rearrangement to go in too, but branch 'various' is nice, and
> I'd like to see it in.  Someone needs to do a tally of what library
> upgrades are likely for 2.2.0 too, as they are risky and we like to get
> them in early.

Re: 2.1.3 Released.

David Timms
On 18/03/17 08:15, James Crook wrote:
> 2.1.3 is now released.  IS_ALPHA is back to 1, and the development
> source code is now set for 2.2.0.
>
> Over a year's work in this release.  Thanks to everyone involved.  Only
> happens at all because of the team effort.
Congratulations on the new release milestone. Moving Audacity forward
takes a lot of teamwork, and I think you should all be patted on the back.

Cheers, David Timms (Fedora maintainer).

Re: 2.1.3 Released.

Mark Young
Congratulations to all others involved and thanks to James for his work as RM.

Onto 2.2.0 - I have a plan... ;-)

Mark

On 18 March 2017 at 05:35, David Timms <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 18/03/17 08:15, James Crook wrote:
> 2.1.3 is now released.  IS_ALPHA is back to 1, and the development
> source code is now set for 2.2.0.
>
> Over a year's work in this release.  Thanks to everyone involved.  Only
> happens at all because of the team effort.
Congratulations on the new release milestone. Moving Audacity forward
takes a lot of teamwork, and I think you should all be patted on the back.

Cheers, David Timms (Fedora maintainer).

Re: 2.1.3 Released.

Dave Plater

On 17/03/2017 23:15, James Crook wrote:
> 2.1.3 is now released.  IS_ALPHA is back to 1, and the development
> source code is now set for 2.2.0.
>
> Over a year's work in this release.  Thanks to everyone involved.  Only
> happens at all because of the team effort.
>
> --James.
> (RM for 2.1.3)
There's something wrong with
https://www.fosshub.com/Audacity.html/audacity-minsrc-2.1.3.tar.xz
tar -xf audacity-minsrc-2.1.3.tar.xz
xz: (stdin): File format not recognized
tar: Child returned status 1
tar -xf audacity-minsrc-2.1.3.tar.xz
xz: (stdin): File format not recognized
tar: Child returned status 1

I'm using:
https://github.com/audacity/audacity/archive/Audacity-2.1.3.tar.gz
That works.
Best regards
Dave

Re: 2.1.3 Released.

James Crook
Try:
tar -xJf  audacity-minsrc-2.1.3.tar.xz

I'm guessing SUSE has a version of tar that does not auto detect .xz
http://askubuntu.com/questions/92328/how-do-i-uncompress-a-tarball-that-uses-xz

On Ubuntu I'm seeing everything I expect in the file with tar -xvf.
Ditto when I open it in 7zip in Windows.

--James.

On 3/18/2017 1:05 PM, Dave Plater wrote:

> On 17/03/2017 23:15, James Crook wrote:
>> 2.1.3 is now released.  IS_ALPHA is back to 1, and the development
>> source code is now set for 2.2.0.
>>
>> Over a year's work in this release.  Thanks to everyone involved.  Only
>> happens at all because of the team effort.
>>
>> --James.
>> (RM for 2.1.3)
> There's something wrong with
> https://www.fosshub.com/Audacity.html/audacity-minsrc-2.1.3.tar.xz
> tar -xf audacity-minsrc-2.1.3.tar.xz
> xz: (stdin): File format not recognized
> tar: Child returned status 1
> tar -xf audacity-minsrc-2.1.3.tar.xz
> xz: (stdin): File format not recognized
> tar: Child returned status 1
>
> I'm using:
> https://github.com/audacity/audacity/archive/Audacity-2.1.3.tar.gz
> That works.
> Best regards
> Dave

Re: 2.1.3 Released.

Dave Plater

On 18/03/2017 15:35, James Crook wrote:

> Try:
> tar -xJf  audacity-minsrc-2.1.3.tar.xz
>
> I'm guessing SUSE has a version of tar that does not auto detect .xz
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/92328/how-do-i-uncompress-a-tarball-that-uses-xz
>
> On Ubuntu I'm seeing everything I expect in the file with tar -xvf.
> Ditto when I open it in 7zip in Windows.
>
> --James.

xz -t audacity-minsrc-2.1.3.tar.xz
xz: audacity-minsrc-2.1.3.tar.xz: File format not recognized
but
xz -t audacity-minsrc-2.1.2.tar.xz
succeeds.
  xz --version
xz (XZ Utils) 5.2.2
liblzma 5.2.2

Dave

Re: 2.1.3 Released.

Dave Plater

On 18/03/2017 15:35, James Crook wrote:

> Try:
> tar -xJf  audacity-minsrc-2.1.3.tar.xz
>
> I'm guessing SUSE has a version of tar that does not auto detect .xz
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/92328/how-do-i-uncompress-a-tarball-that-uses-xz
>
> On Ubuntu I'm seeing everything I expect in the file with tar -xvf.
> Ditto when I open it in 7zip in Windows.
>
> --James.
I just opened audacity-minsrc-2.1.3.tar.xz as html and it's full of the
fosshub download page. Try:
wget https://www.fosshub.com/Audacity.html/audacity-minsrc-2.1.3.tar.xz
I can only download the proper file in Firefox by clicking save file, I
normally use a download manager downthemall, that also ends up with the
html filled xz.
The problem is with fosshub.
Anyway the github tarball is fine.
Best regards