2.2.0 and beyond - RC testing

James Crook
I've just uploaded Release Candidate RC1 for 2.1.3 to FossHub, per our
current release process:

"Upload RC's to FossHub with descriptive string making clear the version
and that they are RCs for testing. Post the links to these on
audacity-devel, audacity-quality, audacity-translation, and the Forum."

I still think it's likely that there will be many windows users who
download this RC without appreciating that it is an RC.

So I am opening this for discussion -

* Should we host RCs elsewhere to avoid that confusion?
* Is there a good way to get an engaged community of people willing to
try out RCs and give feedback?  It is particularly the feedback on
different machines that helps.

Re: 2.2.0 and beyond - RC testing

On 10 February 2017 at 12:21, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've just uploaded Release Candidate RC1 for 2.1.3 to FossHub, per our
> current release process:
>
> "Upload RC's to FossHub with descriptive string making clear the version
> and that they are RCs for testing. Post the links to these on
> audacity-devel, audacity-quality, audacity-translation, and the Forum."
>

> I still think it's likely that there will be many windows users who
> download this RC without appreciating that it is an RC.
>
> So I am opening this for discussion -
>
> * Should we host RCs elsewhere to avoid that confusion?

I think that is reasonable, on a special FossHub Audacity developer
page.

I'm open minded about having regular nightly builds too on a FossHub
developer page, perhaps as a separate page on its own. I don't think
Leland and I should be hosting nightlies on separate sites, which looks
as if Team wanted to disown those builds. I would expect the download
count to be shown for nightlies, as Leland and I do.

If so that would leave the main FossHub developer page showing RC's
and "milestone alphas" or "experimental releases" (if we have such).

However I see other problems that I have never been happy with.

* If there are multiple RC's for a given release then we have multiple
   different versions floating around that say the same thing at the top
   in About Audacity where the user will look. I might like to see the
   commit ID repeated as (build <ID>) in smallish font to right of the
   version string.

*  The commit ID still only really helps tech support people. We have
    no way to indicate an RC is an RC inside the app such that the user
    might know. I don't see a solution until building is automatic, because
    we probably don't want to rebuild just to turn a successful RC into a
    release.

> * Is there a good way to get an engaged community of people willing to
> try out RCs and give feedback?  It is particularly the feedback on
> different machines that helps.

I am willing to have some kind of push/blog/announcement that we want
that kind of help. Feedback on RC's on the Forum is minimal.

We may get some trickle down of RC testers from experimental releases
if we have those. But they need to be official publicised experimental
releases to maximise that benefit. IMO.

Re: 2.2.0 and beyond - RC testing

Vaughan Johnson-4
Thanks for the progress update, James. Good.

Just to note, we've previously always done it as you have done with
2.1.3rc1.  E.g., on GC, the Release Process indicated that, and that
we deprecate each former rc when subsequent rc posted.

I don't think we ever had a problem you anticipate, with users not
understanding it's an RC.  Probably because we don't announce RC's on
the website.

And posting it in the same FossHub repo is better for your 2nd
question, about number of testers, I expect. Putting it on devs-only
repo would limit uptake, probably.

Nightlies, Gale makes good points. I doubt anybody who currently
downloads them thinks they're disowned, but yes, putting it on FH has
the upside of a single place for them.

Thanks,
Vaughan