2.2.0 theme in the Manual

Peter Sampson-2
Now that RM has decreed that Light will be tghe default theme for 2.2.0
I have started work on preparing the Manual for the required changes.

My initial pass was to trawl the Manual  to identify pages and images that
would really need updating (not all will be updated as we discussed earlier)
and maked them with P1s.

I realized this morning that this would not be sufficient (not least because they
would mix in with all the other P1s and become confusing).  Accordingly I decided
to create myself a workbench in my user space for this task:
http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/User:PeterSampson/Pages_with_theme_displayed
Note that right now this is still a work in progress.

I have also realixed that this workbench could be very useful in future if we make
further changes, or even tweaks, to the default theme - so when it's complete I
plan to transfer it to the For Editors section.

So far the only images I have updated are for the icons of the Transport Toolbar
buttons - Iwanted to see how they looked.  I've also been working on achieving
nomenclature consistency to aid Jame's automation project.

James has advised me to hold off on further images as he is making some adjustments
to Light theme based on feedback he received.

One thing I note is that we seem not to use full button images anywhere in the Manual
only their iconic non-button forms (actually ther was one, only one, and I converted
that to iconic and imo it looks a lot better).  So we may end up deleting the full button
images as unused - but for now they've been renamed for nomeclature consistency.

Cheers,

Re: 2.2.0 theme in the Manual

James Crook
On 6/10/2017 3:31 PM, Peter Sampson wrote:

> Now that RM has decreed that Light will be tghe default theme for 2.2.0
> I have started work on preparing the Manual for the required changes.
>
> My initial pass was to trawl the Manual  to identify pages and images that
> would really need updating (not all will be updated as we discussed earlier)
> and maked them with P1s.
>
> I realized this morning that this would not be sufficient (not least
> because they
> would mix in with all the other P1s and become confusing).  Accordingly I
> decided
> to create myself a workbench in my user space for this task:
> http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/User:PeterSampson/Pages_with_theme_displayed
> Note that right now this is still a work in progress.
>
> I have also realixed that this workbench could be very useful in future if
> we make
> further changes, or even tweaks, to the default theme - so when it's
> complete I
> plan to transfer it to the For Editors section.
>

> So far the only images I have updated are for the icons of the Transport
> Toolbar
> buttons - Iwanted to see how they looked.  I've also been working on
> achieving
> nomenclature consistency to aid Jame's automation project.
>
> James has advised me to hold off on further images as he is making some
> adjustments to Light theme based on feedback he received.
My changes today don't affect the raw icons.  I think/hope I'm now done
on the button-background changes.

It is always possible that we will decide that the black raw icons are
too black, and making the enabled ones the same dark-blue/dark-grey as
the background behind/between the tracks 'would be a good thing'.
However if we do do that, I can batch upload that revision of images, so
it should not be a painstaking/tedious job to adjust.

Hmm.  I just set off a task to do the batch upload of those raw Light
Theme icons anyway, using PyWikibot and the autogenerated names.  Now to
go make some coffee :-)  I feel a little guilty about mitching off.

> One thing I note is that we seem not to use full button images anywhere in
> the Manual
> only their iconic non-button forms (actually ther was one, only one, and I
> converted
> that to iconic and imo it looks a lot better).  So we may end up deleting
> the full button
> images as unused - but for now they've been renamed for nomeclature
> consistency.
>
> Cheers,
> Peter.

Re: 2.2.0 theme in the Manual

Stevethefiddle
With such significant changes to the visual appearance, I think this
would be a good opportunity to move the info in the panel on the left
end of the track below the track controls. This should already be
logged somewhere as a usability enhancement (it allows the controls to
be used in multi-track projects with slightly reduced track height).

To be clear, this means changing the vertical order from:

name
info text
solo / mute buttons
gain
pan

to:

name
solo/mute buttons
gain
pan
info text

Steve

On 10 June 2017 at 15:57, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 6/10/2017 3:31 PM, Peter Sampson wrote:
>>
>> Now that RM has decreed that Light will be tghe default theme for 2.2.0
>> I have started work on preparing the Manual for the required changes.
>>
>> My initial pass was to trawl the Manual  to identify pages and images that
>> would really need updating (not all will be updated as we discussed
>> earlier)
>> and maked them with P1s.
>>
>> I realized this morning that this would not be sufficient (not least
>> because they
>> would mix in with all the other P1s and become confusing).  Accordingly I
>> decided
>> to create myself a workbench in my user space for this task:
>>
>> http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/User:PeterSampson/Pages_with_theme_displayed
>> Note that right now this is still a work in progress.
>>
>> I have also realixed that this workbench could be very useful in future if
>> we make
>> further changes, or even tweaks, to the default theme - so when it's
>> complete I
>> plan to transfer it to the For Editors section.
>>

>> So far the only images I have updated are for the icons of the Transport
>> Toolbar
>> buttons - Iwanted to see how they looked.  I've also been working on
>> achieving
>> nomenclature consistency to aid Jame's automation project.
>>
>> James has advised me to hold off on further images as he is making some
>> adjustments to Light theme based on feedback he received.
>
> My changes today don't affect the raw icons.  I think/hope I'm now done on
> the button-background changes.
>
> It is always possible that we will decide that the black raw icons are too
> black, and making the enabled ones the same dark-blue/dark-grey as the
> background behind/between the tracks 'would be a good thing'.  However if we
> do do that, I can batch upload that revision of images, so it should not be
> a painstaking/tedious job to adjust.
>
> Hmm.  I just set off a task to do the batch upload of those raw Light Theme
> icons anyway, using PyWikibot and the autogenerated names.  Now to go make
> some coffee :-)  I feel a little guilty about mitching off.
>

>> One thing I note is that we seem not to use full button images anywhere in
>> the Manual
>> only their iconic non-button forms (actually ther was one, only one, and I
>> converted
>> that to iconic and imo it looks a lot better).  So we may end up deleting
>> the full button
>> images as unused - but for now they've been renamed for nomeclature
>> consistency.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Peter.

Re: 2.2.0 theme in the Manual

James Crook
+1.

[In DA I removed the text, as it is available by the menu in any case,
and adds to visual clutter, in my opinion].

On 6/11/2017 7:46 PM, Steve the Fiddle wrote:

> [...]
>> black, and making the enabled ones the same dark-blue/dark-grey as the
>> background behind/between the tracks 'would be a good thing'.  However if we
>> do do that, I can batch upload that revision of images, so it should not be
>> a painstaking/tedious job to adjust.
>>
>> Hmm.  I just set off a task to do the batch upload of those raw Light Theme
>> icons anyway, using PyWikibot and the autogenerated names.  Now to go make
>> some coffee :-)  I feel a little guilty about mitching off.
>>

>>> One thing I note is that we seem not to use full button images anywhere in
>>> the Manual
>>> only their iconic non-button forms (actually ther was one, only one, and I
>>> converted
>>> that to iconic and imo it looks a lot better).  So we may end up deleting
>>> the full button
>>> images as unused - but for now they've been renamed for nomeclature

Re: 2.2.0 theme in the Manual

Paul Licameli

On Sun, Jun 11, 2017 at 3:07 PM, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1.

[In DA I removed the text, as it is available by the menu in any case, and adds to visual clutter, in my opinion].

This makes sense.  The text would disappear first, instead of the sliders, as the track height is made less.

I am neutral.  But I hope there is not yet much wasted work on Peter's part.

If Peter does not object I leave James to decide whether and how to implement it, with due cautions that the text should look well spaced from the pan slider above on Mac as well as on Windows.

PRL

On 6/11/2017 8:23 PM, Paul Licameli wrote:
On Sun, Jun 11, 2017 at 3:07 PM, James Crook [hidden email] wrote:

+1.

[In DA I removed the text, as it is available by the menu in any case, and
adds to visual clutter, in my opinion].

This makes sense.  The text would disappear first, instead of the sliders,
as the track height is made less.

I am neutral.  But I hope there is not yet much wasted work on Peter's part.

If Peter does not object I leave James to decide whether and how to
implement it, with due cautions that the text should look well spaced from
the pan slider above on Mac as well as on Windows.
Hah.  And I defer back to Steve.  I am happy with how it is in DA, and don't feel an urgency to impose this change on Audacity myself.  Steve suggested it, is a developer, and also well knows the (potential) impact on the manual.  I am not expecting to automate the screen capture of the waves and TCP in time for 2.2.0, so if there was work done to update them for 2.2.0 manual, that would be manual work, mostly.  [We could of course make and save audacity projects and use screenshot tool].  Steve can judge whether a mismatch between manual and TCP is OK or not.

On 11 June 2017 at 20:56, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 6/11/2017 8:23 PM, Paul Licameli wrote:
>
> On Sun, Jun 11, 2017 at 3:07 PM, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> +1.
>
> [In DA I removed the text, as it is available by the menu in any case, and
> adds to visual clutter, in my opinion].
>
> This makes sense.  The text would disappear first, instead of the sliders,
> as the track height is made less.
>
> I am neutral.  But I hope there is not yet much wasted work on Peter's part.
>
> If Peter does not object I leave James to decide whether and how to
> implement it, with due cautions that the text should look well spaced from
> the pan slider above on Mac as well as on Windows.
>
> Hah.  And I defer back to Steve.

I'll discus with Peter and come back to you.

> [...]

> be
> a painstaking/tedious job to adjust.
>
> Hmm.  I just set off a task to do the batch upload of those raw Light
> Theme
> icons anyway, using PyWikibot and the autogenerated names.  Now to go
> make
> some coffee :-)  I feel a little guilty about mitching off.
>

> One thing I note is that we seem not to use full button images anywhere
>
> in
> the Manual
> only their iconic non-button forms (actually ther was one, only one,
> and I
> converted
> that to iconic and imo it looks a lot better).  So we may end up
> deleting
> the full button
> images as unused - but for now they've been renamed for nomeclature

Re: 2.2.0 theme in the Manual

+1 to info text disappearing first when resizing the track upwards.

Gale

On 11 June 2017 at 19:46, Steve the Fiddle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> black, and making the enabled ones the same dark-blue/dark-grey as the
>> background behind/between the tracks 'would be a good thing'.  However if we
>> do do that, I can batch upload that revision of images, so it should not be
>> a painstaking/tedious job to adjust.
>>
>> Hmm.  I just set off a task to do the batch upload of those raw Light Theme
>> icons anyway, using PyWikibot and the autogenerated names.  Now to go make
>> some coffee :-)  I feel a little guilty about mitching off.
>>

>>> One thing I note is that we seem not to use full button images anywhere in
>>> the Manual
>>> only their iconic non-button forms (actually ther was one, only one, and I
>>> converted
>>> that to iconic and imo it looks a lot better).  So we may end up deleting
>>> the full button
>>> images as unused - but for now they've been renamed for nomeclature

Re: 2.2.0 theme in the Manual

As I replied to Steve ...

it will be a fair bit of work - more work than the programming changes
for sure.

I will find some time to day to trawl the Manual and put together a workbench
page which identifies the pages an images that would need attention due
to such a change to the TCP.

Further, many of these images are the ones that we were trying to avoid updating
to Light theme - so this could be seen as an opportunity to actually convert the
whole Manual to Light theme.

If we are prepared to accept that we retain some images as Classiv (actually 2.1.3)
then it may be possible to kludge some of them with a cut and paste of a revised
Classic theme TCP.

But several of them are quite complicated (e.g.) the multi-track image for Sync-lock
and would probably not be amenable to a simple cut&paste approach.

As I put together the workbench today I will tag them with which ones where C&P should
or may work - and those that would require a full rework, together with a degree of
complexity assessment.

Also some of them would be absolutely critical to update while others may be less so .
I will also provide tagging for this.

This task is likely to take me the whole of today (in itself more work than the programming
effort to change the TCP).

With the benefit of hindsight it would have been far better (as far as updating the Manual
is concerned) if wuch far ranging changes to the TCP and the choice of Light as the new
default theme were made much earlier in a development cycle - and I would urge developers
to consider this for future release cycles.

This BTW is not an argument for putting off the TCP changes to the next release cycle.
My vote would be:  if we are going to do it, do it now - as it fits in with all the other
far ranging GUI changes we are making in this development cycle.

Peter.

On Sun, Jun 11, 2017 at 7:46 PM, Steve the Fiddle <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> black, and making the enabled ones the same dark-blue/dark-grey as the
> background behind/between the tracks 'would be a good thing'.  However if we
> do do that, I can batch upload that revision of images, so it should not be
> a painstaking/tedious job to adjust.
>
> Hmm.  I just set off a task to do the batch upload of those raw Light Theme
> icons anyway, using PyWikibot and the autogenerated names.  Now to go make
> some coffee :-)  I feel a little guilty about mitching off.
>

>> One thing I note is that we seem not to use full button images anywhere in
>> the Manual
>> only their iconic non-button forms (actually ther was one, only one, and I
>> converted
>> that to iconic and imo it looks a lot better).  So we may end up deleting
>> the full button
>> images as unused - but for now they've been renamed for nomeclature

Re: 2.2.0 theme in the Manual

On Sun, Jun 11, 2017 at 8:07 PM, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1.

[In DA I removed the text, as it is available by the menu in any case, and adds to visual clutter, in my opinion].

Which begs the question:

If we are to be changing the TCP do we just want to lose the text entirely
as James has done for DarkAudacity?

The data are readily available from the TCP dropdown menu.

Peter.

On 12 June 2017 at 09:51, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 11, 2017 at 8:07 PM, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> +1.
>>
>> [In DA I removed the text, as it is available by the menu in any case, and
>> adds to visual clutter, in my opinion].
>

> Which begs the question:
>
> If we are to be changing the TCP do we just want to lose the text entirely
> as James has done for DarkAudacity?

-1
The risk of irreparably clipping integer format tracks is a bear trap
even for experienced users. Until we fix that I think we must at least
display the track sample format by default.

Steve

> The data are readily available from the TCP dropdown menu.
>
> Peter.
>

>> On 6/11/2017 7:46 PM, Steve the Fiddle wrote:
>>>
>>> With such significant changes to the visual appearance, I think this
>>> would be a good opportunity to move the info in the panel on the left
>>> end of the track below the track controls. This should already be
>>> logged somewhere as a usability enhancement (it allows the controls to
>>> be used in multi-track projects with slightly reduced track height).
>>>
>>> To be clear, this means changing the vertical order from:
>>>
>>> name
>>> info text
>>> solo / mute buttons
>>> gain
>>> pan
>>>
>>> to:
>>>
>>> name
>>> solo/mute buttons
>>> gain
>>> pan
>>> info text
>>>
>>> Steve

Re: 2.2.0 theme in the Manual

I'd prefer that we don't update those images, as it does mean some work
for me too.

IF we do update them, Peter, can we talk carefully about how we go about it?

- We need to systemetise the naming of the images, as we have done for
toolbars/menus/preferences
- And I think we need corresponding named Audacity projects with the
audio in them for each image.
- I can now bulk upload images, and I can either take a zip file from
you with the images to upload, or talk you through setting up the same
upload2 script as I have.

Pasting over the TCP is not going to work.  We'll end up with a
Chimera.  The TCP is different, but so are the selection colours in the
main Track Panel, and almost every Track Panel image shows a selection.
I can script a spot colour convert script, but regenerating the images
is a better route.

IF 2.2.0 is further away than I think, then a nearly fully automated
solution to image update is possible in the time.  But I was expecting
that to be for 2.2.1.

--James.

On 6/12/2017 8:57 AM, Peter Sampson wrote:

> [...]
>>> My changes today don't affect the raw icons.  I think/hope I'm now done
>> on
>>> the button-background changes.
>>>
>>> It is always possible that we will decide that the black raw icons are
>> too
>>> black, and making the enabled ones the same dark-blue/dark-grey as the
>>> background behind/between the tracks 'would be a good thing'.  However
>> if we
>>> do do that, I can batch upload that revision of images, so it should not
>> be
>>> a painstaking/tedious job to adjust.
>>>
>>> Hmm.  I just set off a task to do the batch upload of those raw Light
>> Theme
>>> icons anyway, using PyWikibot and the autogenerated names.  Now to go
>> make
>>> some coffee :-)  I feel a little guilty about mitching off.

Re: 2.2.0 theme in the Manual

Peter Sampson-2

On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 11:40 AM, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'd prefer that we don't update those images, as it does mean some work for me too.

IF we do update them, Peter, can we talk carefully about how we go about it?

Now that I'm working on the workbench - I'm thinking that many of them can just have the
TCP trimmed off the image (we have several like that alraedy).

That way we make those images, at least, agnostic to changes of TCP.

I am tagging those TCP-trim candidates in the workbench page.

Peter.

- We need to systemetise the naming of the images, as we have done for toolbars/menus/preferences
- And I think we need corresponding named Audacity projects with the audio in them for each image.
- I can now bulk upload images, and I can either take a zip file from you with the images to upload, or talk you through setting up the same upload2 script as I have.

Pasting over the TCP is not going to work.  We'll end up with a Chimera.  The TCP is different, but so are the selection colours in the main Track Panel, and almost every Track Panel image shows a selection.  I can script a spot colour convert script, but regenerating the images is a better route.

I'm minded to agree, having looked at them today.

IF 2.2.0 is further away than I think, then a nearly fully automated solution to image update is possible in the time.  But I was expecting that to be for 2.2.1.

I don't see it on a near-time horizon right now ...

wrote:

[...]

So today I created a workbench to deal with the imact on the Manual
of the proposed changes to the GUI in the TCP:
http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/User:PeterSampson/Pages_with_TCP_displayed

As expected there are a large number of pages in the Manual that have
images showing the TCP, 52 of them (I think I found them all).

With a total of 262 images (though some of those are duplicates).

Of those 36 must be replaced with 1 further 13 that probably should be replaced.

That leaves over 200 images that could be dealt with by trimming off the TCP
(though many of these will be duplicated, used on several pages).  Still
a lot of work thogh.  However I feel that such a TCP trim would be beneficial, as
for these images the TCP adds little if anything - and trimming the TCP from
those images will make them agnostic to any future TCP GUI changes.
The workbench page would then become much shorter with fewer pages
afftected.

I would like to do this TCP trim anyway - I will hold off for a day or so to allow
other folk to consider and object if they wish too.  Please feel free to further
annotate my workbench page with comments if you feel the need.

If there are no nay-sayers I shall start this work on Thursday.

The images that then will need updationg I shall be discussing with James to
see which, if any, can be auto-generated as part of his automation project.

Cheers,

Re: 2.2.0 theme in the Manual

Stevethefiddle
As you say Peter, there's a lot to change. but it's doable, even manually if it comes to that (hopefully we can avoid doing all of them manually). The TCP is already "wrong" in those images, and I think that moving the info below the controls is a worthwhile change, so I think we should go for it if you're willing to do so, and I'll be happy to help update images.

FYI, here's a screenshot on Linux:

Steve

On 12 June 2017 at 15:18, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Peter,

If you can list the filenames of all images which are simple trims of a fixed pixel width, then I can automate that part,
i.e. downloading all those images, trimming the fixed amount off, uploading the image back again with the same name.

I'll use the dump of the manual for the source images, ImageMagick to trim them, and PyWikibot to upload them back again.

--James.

​

On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 3:57 PM, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:
Peter,

If you can list the filenames of all images which are simple trims of a fixed pixel width, then I can automate that part,
i.e. downloading all those images, trimming the fixed amount off, uploading the image back again with the same name.

That might take me almost as long as just doing the trims manually, I'm thinking.

Let me think about that.

There is a risk that not all are fixed pixel width.

Peter.

wrote:

[...]

OK then.  If you want to fetch-and-trim, then I can give you the recipe
for bulk upload, OR you send me a zip to upload if you don't want to
install python and pywiki bot, OR you upload 'by hand'.  Uploading is a
LOT quicker/easier with a bot.

--James.

On 6/12/2017 4:05 PM, Peter Sampson wrote:

> [...]
>> beneficial, as
>> for these images the TCP adds little if anything - and trimming the TCP
>> from
>> those images will make them agnostic to any future TCP GUI changes.
>> The workbench page would then become much shorter with fewer pages
>> afftected.
>>
>> I would like to do this TCP trim anyway - I will hold off for a day or so
>> to allow
>> other folk to consider and object if they wish too.  Please feel free to
>> further
>> annotate my workbench page with comments if you feel the need.
>>
>> If there are no nay-sayers I shall start this work on Thursday.
>>
>> The images that then will need updationg I shall be discussing with James
>> see which, if any, can be auto-generated as part of his automation project.

Re: 2.2.0 theme in the Manual

Peter Sampson-2

On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 4:12 PM, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:
OK then.  If you want to fetch-and-trim, then I can give you the recipe for bulk upload, OR you send me a zip to upload if you don't want to install python and pywiki bot, OR you upload 'by hand'.  Uploading is a LOT quicker/easier with a bot.

I haven't said no - I'm seriously thinking about making you that file list.
I *like* the idea of automation.

It'll take a fair while though (probably not today)  :-))