A few tooltips

Paul Licameli
This is the last thing I'll push this release that isn't a bug fix.

I put a few tooltips back in track panel.  None for the proper track area.  A few for the vertical rulers of Wave and Note tracks, the track panel rearrange drag, and the menu, mute, solo, close, and minimize buttons.

I wanted at least to complete the similarity of TCP buttons to toolbar buttons -- having a status message that agrees with the tooltip, and also mentions the appropriate shortcut key.  The oddity here is that mute, solo, and close have shortcuts (Ctrl+U, +S, +C) but only in case the track is focused.

If anyone really hates these, I will revert them.

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 7:39 AM, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Any chance we could also get tooltips to identify the Pan and
Gain sliders?

Peter

I'd like to but I have called a halt to new features today and I am sticking to it.  Fixes to errors and omissions only:  no more new stuff, which I would consider that.

Button and slider tooltips in the toolbars are a little different as to color and use very different code.  Making TCP buttons consistent with toolbar buttons was easy, doing the same for sliders proves a little harder, and I will leave it be for 2.2.0.

PRL

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 7:31 AM, Paul Licameli <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is the last thing I'll push this release that isn't a bug fix.

I put a few tooltips back in track panel.  None for the proper track area.  A few for the vertical rulers of Wave and Note tracks, the track panel rearrange drag, and the menu, mute, solo, close, and minimize buttons.

I wanted at least to complete the similarity of TCP buttons to toolbar buttons -- having a status message that agrees with the tooltip, and also mentions the appropriate shortcut key.  The oddity here is that mute, solo, and close have shortcuts (Ctrl+U, +S, +C) but only in case the track is focused.

If anyone really hates these, I will revert them.

Re: A few tooltips

Peter Sampson-2
Th tooltip for the Vertical scale is incorrect/misleading. It says:

" ...  Drag to specify a zoom region"

It should say:

" ... Click and drag to specify a zoom region."

Peter.

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 12:49 PM, Paul Licameli <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

David Bailes-3
On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 7:31 AM, Paul Licameli <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is the last thing I'll push this release that isn't a bug fix.

I put a few tooltips back in track panel.  None for the proper track area.  A few for the vertical rulers of Wave and Note tracks, the track panel rearrange drag, and the menu, mute, solo, close, and minimize buttons.

I wanted at least to complete the similarity of TCP buttons to toolbar buttons -- having a status message that agrees with the tooltip, and also mentions the appropriate shortcut key.  The oddity here is that mute, solo, and close have shortcuts (Ctrl+U, +S, +C) but only in case the track is focused.

If anyone really hates these, I will revert them.

Unless you can solve the following two problems, I think you should revert them.
1. When you move the mouse pointer within a button, the tooltip flickers.
2. There is no delay before they appear, and so they get in the way of normal usage.

The tooltips for the buttons in the toolbars don't have these problems.

David.

Re: A few tooltips

Paul Licameli

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 10:59 AM, David Bailes <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 7:31 AM, Paul Licameli <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is the last thing I'll push this release that isn't a bug fix.

I put a few tooltips back in track panel.  None for the proper track area.  A few for the vertical rulers of Wave and Note tracks, the track panel rearrange drag, and the menu, mute, solo, close, and minimize buttons.

I wanted at least to complete the similarity of TCP buttons to toolbar buttons -- having a status message that agrees with the tooltip, and also mentions the appropriate shortcut key.  The oddity here is that mute, solo, and close have shortcuts (Ctrl+U, +S, +C) but only in case the track is focused.

If anyone really hates these, I will revert them.

Unless you can solve the following two problems, I think you should revert them.
1. When you move the mouse pointer within a button, the tooltip flickers.

Does 14450d6d9fb650cc199f705b34ae49c1d8322fbb fix that for you?

2. There is no delay before they appear, and so they get in the way of normal usage.

This may vary with the operating system.  Which system?

PRL

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 4:17 PM, Paul Licameli <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Happens for me on W10 - and happens for James on Windows as we both reported earlier.

[...]

Yes.

2. There is no delay before they appear, and so they get in the way of normal usage.

This may vary with the operating system.  Which system?

Windows 10, but that appears fixed as well.
Incidentally, the track menu has a shortcut (by default, shift+m).

I know that the tooltips do include any shortcuts, but for buttons which have names rather than icons, tooltips look a little superfluousness, eg on the mute and solo buttons.

David.

PRL

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 11:33 AM, David Bailes <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Good point.

I have change that tooltip at 64ce79fef8d4896ed690191dc0db0bf81717ab2b to "Open menu..." plus the shortcut.

It should be noticed too that these tooltips are smart about changes in Keyboard preferences.

I know that the tooltips do include any shortcuts, but for buttons which have names rather than icons, tooltips look a little superfluousness, eg on the mute and solo buttons.

That complaint applies only to Mute and Solo.

Perhaps they could have cute little icons instead.  Like the speaker icon with or without a "disable".

It occurs to me too now that the mixer board Mute and Solo do not have similar tooltips.  I will resist the temptation to do anything about them.

PRL

David.

PRL