Quantcast

Adding some presets to the zoom sub menu

Adding some presets to the zoom sub menu

David Bailes-3
I would like to add the following four presets to the zoom sub menu:
1 px is one s
1 px is tenth s
1 px is hundredth s
1 px is thousandth s

Having some zoom presets has been discussed on a number of previous occasions. The main reason I'm raising it again now is to make the new "clip left" and "clip right" commands more useful. The presets would also be helpful when using the commands to move the cursor and ends of the selection by 1 px.

The proposal for a zoom toolbar includes zoom presets, but even if they are included there, it would also be a lot more convenient for keyboard users to have them available in the menus as well.

I appreciate that getting agreement on the precise wording of these new commands may take some considerable time, but I would like to just add the commands with some temporarily "good enough" wording in the near future.

Are there any objections to me doing this?

David.

Re: Adding some presets to the zoom sub menu

On 5 April 2017 at 10:04, David Bailes <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I would like to add the following four presets to the zoom sub menu:
> 1 px is one s
> 1 px is tenth s
> 1 px is hundredth s
> 1 px is thousandth s

I'm OK with it but personally I would rather have "Zoom Presets" as its
own menu item rather than have to navigate through an extended
Zoom submenu. Presets access should be as easy as possible.

> Having some zoom presets has been discussed on a number of previous
> occasions. The main reason I'm raising it again now is to make the new "clip
> left" and "clip right" commands more useful. The presets would also be
> helpful when using the commands to move the cursor and ends of the selection
> by 1 px.

I cannot find those commands. Have they been released yet? Also I may
be missing something but don't LEFT/RIGHT and their (CTRL) + SHIFT
equivalents already do that (except when playing audio)?

On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 3:18 PM, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 5 April 2017 at 10:04, David Bailes <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I would like to add the following four presets to the zoom sub menu:
> 1 px is one s
> 1 px is tenth s
> 1 px is hundredth s
> 1 px is thousandth s

I'm OK with it but personally I would rather have "Zoom Presets" as its
own menu item rather than have to navigate through an extended
Zoom submenu. Presets access should be as easy as possible.

That sounds fine.

Maybe better wording for the commands might be to express it the other way round - better to put the varying bit first:
one second per pixel
tenth sec per pixel
hundredth sec per pixel
thousandth sec per pixel

> Having some zoom presets has been discussed on a number of previous
> occasions. The main reason I'm raising it again now is to make the new "clip
> left" and "clip right" commands more useful. The presets would also be
> helpful when using the commands to move the cursor and ends of the selection
> by 1 px.

I cannot find those commands. Have they been released yet?

Yes they are "occult" commands, without default shortcuts (at least at the moment)((Just search in keyboard preferences.))

Also I may
be missing something but don't LEFT/RIGHT and their (CTRL) + SHIFT
equivalents already do that (except when playing audio)?

I meant that having the zoom presets would make it easier to use them to move by a known amount, eg tenth of a second.

David.

On 5 April 2017 at 15:33, David Bailes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 3:18 PM, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 5 April 2017 at 10:04, David Bailes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > I would like to add the following four presets to the zoom sub menu:
>> > 1 px is one s
>> > 1 px is tenth s
>> > 1 px is hundredth s
>> > 1 px is thousandth s
>>
>> I'm OK with it but personally I would rather have "Zoom Presets" as its
>> own menu item rather than have to navigate through an extended
>> Zoom submenu. Presets access should be as easy as possible.
>

> That sounds fine.
>
> Maybe better wording for the commands might be to express it the other way
> round - better to put the varying bit first:
> one second per pixel
> tenth sec per pixel
> hundredth sec per pixel
> thousandth sec per pixel

+1

>> > Having some zoom presets has been discussed on a number of previous
>> > occasions. The main reason I'm raising it again now is to make the new
>> > "clip
>> > left" and "clip right" commands more useful. The presets would also be
>> > helpful when using the commands to move the cursor and ends of the
>> > selection
>> > by 1 px.
>>
>> I cannot find those commands. Have they been released yet?
>

> Yes they are "occult" commands, without default shortcuts (at least at the
> moment)((Just search in keyboard preferences.))

I can find Clip Left and Clip Right. I can't find new commands to move the
cursor and selection ends by 1 px, so I assume you mean the commands
I mentioned (called Cursor Left/Right, Selection Extend/Contract Left/Right)?

>> Also I may
>> be missing something but don't LEFT/RIGHT and their (CTRL) + SHIFT
>> equivalents already do that (except when playing audio)?
>

> I meant that having the zoom presets would make it easier to use them to
> move by a known amount, eg tenth of a second.

Yes, I agree.

Gale

>> Thanks,
>>

>> Gale
>>
>> > The proposal for a zoom toolbar includes zoom presets, but even if they
>> > are
>> > included there, it would also be a lot more convenient for keyboard
>> > users to
>> > have them available in the menus as well.
>> >
>> > I appreciate that getting agreement on the precise wording of these new
>> > commands may take some considerable time, but I would like to just add
>> > the
>> > commands with some temporarily "good enough" wording in the near future.
>> >
>> > Are there any objections to me doing this?
>> >
>> > David.

Re: Adding some presets to the zoom sub menu

James Crook
On 4/5/2017 4:01 PM, Gale Andrews wrote:

> On 5 April 2017 at 15:33, David Bailes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I'm OK with it but personally I would rather have "Zoom Presets" as its
>>> own menu item rather than have to navigate through an extended
>>> Zoom submenu. Presets access should be as easy as possible.
>>
>> That sounds fine.
>>
>> Maybe better wording for the commands might be to express it the other way
>> round - better to put the varying bit first:
>> one second per pixel
>> tenth sec per pixel
>> hundredth sec per pixel
>> thousandth sec per pixel
> +1

Robert has made suggestions about having repeated information just once.
I'm just tossing these out as options, and I think it's for others to
decide:

Zoom one second to
    1 pixel
    10 pixels
    100 pixels
    1000 pixels

or

Zoom pixels:seconds
    1:1
    10:1
    100:1
    1000:1

or

Zoom seconds:pixels
    1:1
    1:10
    1:100
    1:1000

>>> I cannot find those commands. Have they been released yet?
>>
>> Yes they are "occult" commands, without default shortcuts (at least at the
>> moment)((Just search in keyboard preferences.))
> I can find Clip Left and Clip Right. I can't find new commands to move the
> cursor and selection ends by 1 px, so I assume you mean the commands
> I mentioned (called Cursor Left/Right, Selection Extend/Contract Left/Right)?
>

>>> Also I may
>>> be missing something but don't LEFT/RIGHT and their (CTRL) + SHIFT
>>> equivalents already do that (except when playing audio)?
>>
>> I meant that having the zoom presets would make it easier to use them to
>> move by a known amount, eg tenth of a second.
> Yes, I agree.
>

> Gale
>

>>> Thanks,
>>>

>>> Gale

Re: Adding some presets to the zoom sub menu

I find "seconds" plural confusing when that is always one second and I
also think colons could imply some other ratio if you did not take in the
"Zoom seconds:pixels" properly.

It was clearer how it was IMO so I prefer repetitiveness in this case.

Gale

On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 4:35 PM, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 4/5/2017 4:01 PM, Gale Andrews wrote:
> On 5 April 2017 at 15:33, David Bailes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I'm OK with it but personally I would rather have "Zoom Presets" as its
>>> own menu item rather than have to navigate through an extended
>>> Zoom submenu. Presets access should be as easy as possible.
>>
>> That sounds fine.
>>
>> Maybe better wording for the commands might be to express it the other way
>> round - better to put the varying bit first:
>> one second per pixel
>> tenth sec per pixel
>> hundredth sec per pixel
>> thousandth sec per pixel
> +1

Robert has made suggestions about having repeated information just once.
I'm just tossing these out as options, and I think it's for others to
decide:

Zoom one second to
    1 pixel
    10 pixels
    100 pixels
    1000 pixels

+0.5

or

Zoom pixels:seconds
    1:1
    10:1
    100:1
    1000:1

-1

or

Zoom seconds:pixels
    1:1
    1:10
    1:100
    1:1000

+1

>>> I cannot find those commands. Have they been released yet?
>>
>> Yes they are "occult" commands, without default shortcuts (at least at the
>> moment)((Just search in keyboard preferences.))
> I can find Clip Left and Clip Right. I can't find new commands to move the
> cursor and selection ends by 1 px, so I assume you mean the commands
> I mentioned (called Cursor Left/Right, Selection Extend/Contract Left/Right)?
>

>>> Also I may
>>> be missing something but don't LEFT/RIGHT and their (CTRL) + SHIFT
>>> equivalents already do that (except when playing audio)?
>>
>> I meant that having the zoom presets would make it easier to use them to
>> move by a known amount, eg tenth of a second.
> Yes, I agree.
>

> Gale
>

>>> Thanks,
>>>

>>> Gale

Re: Adding some presets to the zoom sub menu

Vaughan Johnson-4
Ditto Peter's vote. -- V

On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 4:01 PM, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 5 April 2017 at 15:33, David Bailes <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 3:18 PM, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 5 April 2017 at 10:04, David Bailes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > I would like to add the following four presets to the zoom sub menu:
>> > 1 px is one s
>> > 1 px is tenth s
>> > 1 px is hundredth s
>> > 1 px is thousandth s
>>
>> I'm OK with it but personally I would rather have "Zoom Presets" as its
>> own menu item rather than have to navigate through an extended
>> Zoom submenu. Presets access should be as easy as possible.
>

> That sounds fine.
>
> Maybe better wording for the commands might be to express it the other way
> round - better to put the varying bit first:
> one second per pixel
> tenth sec per pixel
> hundredth sec per pixel
> thousandth sec per pixel

+1

>> > Having some zoom presets has been discussed on a number of previous
>> > occasions. The main reason I'm raising it again now is to make the new
>> > "clip
>> > left" and "clip right" commands more useful. The presets would also be
>> > helpful when using the commands to move the cursor and ends of the
>> > selection
>> > by 1 px.
>>
>> I cannot find those commands. Have they been released yet?
>

> Yes they are "occult" commands, without default shortcuts (at least at the
> moment)((Just search in keyboard preferences.))

I can find Clip Left and Clip Right. I can't find new commands to move the
cursor and selection ends by 1 px, so I assume you mean the commands
I mentioned (called Cursor Left/Right, Selection Extend/Contract Left/Right)?

Yes,
David.

>> Also I may
>> be missing something but don't LEFT/RIGHT and their (CTRL) + SHIFT
>> equivalents already do that (except when playing audio)?
>

> I meant that having the zoom presets would make it easier to use them to
> move by a known amount, eg tenth of a second.

Yes, I agree.

Gale

>> Thanks,
>>

>> Gale
>>
>> > The proposal for a zoom toolbar includes zoom presets, but even if they
>> > are
>> > included there, it would also be a lot more convenient for keyboard
>> > users to
>> > have them available in the menus as well.
>> >
>> > I appreciate that getting agreement on the precise wording of these new
>> > commands may take some considerable time, but I would like to just add
>> > the
>> > commands with some temporarily "good enough" wording in the near future.
>> >
>> > Are there any objections to me doing this?
>> >
>> > David.

Re: Adding some presets to the zoom sub menu

David Bailes-3
On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 4:35 PM, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 4/5/2017 4:01 PM, Gale Andrews wrote:
> On 5 April 2017 at 15:33, David Bailes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I'm OK with it but personally I would rather have "Zoom Presets" as its
>>> own menu item rather than have to navigate through an extended
>>> Zoom submenu. Presets access should be as easy as possible.
>>
>> That sounds fine.
>>
>> Maybe better wording for the commands might be to express it the other way
>> round - better to put the varying bit first:
>> one second per pixel
>> tenth sec per pixel
>> hundredth sec per pixel
>> thousandth sec per pixel
> +1

Robert has made suggestions about having repeated information just once.
I'm just tossing these out as options, and I think it's for others to
decide:

Zoom one second to
    1 pixel
    10 pixels
    100 pixels
    1000 pixels

or

Zoom pixels:seconds
    1:1
    10:1
    100:1
    1000:1

or

Zoom seconds:pixels
    1:1
    1:10
    1:100
    1:1000

I've added zoom presets with this commit:

I've used the following wording:
Set One Pixel to
    One second
    Tenth second
    Hundredth second
    Thousandth second

Notes:
1. I've used words rather than numbers (eg 100, 1000), so that there can be access keys that can be easily remembered.
2. If a keyboard user wants to move something be a certain time then they want to set a pixel to be some appropriate time to do this. This is why I've expressed it as what time a pixel corresponds to, rather than how many pixels corresponds to one second.

David.

>>> I cannot find those commands. Have they been released yet?
>>
>> Yes they are "occult" commands, without default shortcuts (at least at the
>> moment)((Just search in keyboard preferences.))
> I can find Clip Left and Clip Right. I can't find new commands to move the
> cursor and selection ends by 1 px, so I assume you mean the commands
> I mentioned (called Cursor Left/Right, Selection Extend/Contract Left/Right)?
>

>>> Also I may
>>> be missing something but don't LEFT/RIGHT and their (CTRL) + SHIFT
>>> equivalents already do that (except when playing audio)?
>>
>> I meant that having the zoom presets would make it easier to use them to
>> move by a known amount, eg tenth of a second.
> Yes, I agree.
>

> Gale
>

>>> Thanks,
>>>

>>> Gale

Re: Adding some presets to the zoom sub menu

Stevethefiddle
"millisecond"? (and "centisecond"?)

Steve

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 1:14 PM, Steve the Fiddle <[hidden email]> wrote:
"millisecond"? (and "centisecond"?)

millisecond is much better!
not sure about centisecond. I don't think it used that much in general conversation. On the context menu of the time controls in the selection bar, "hundredths" is used. However, when using the format, when screen readers are reading the time, "centiseconds" is used.

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 1:43 PM, David Bailes <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 1:14 PM, Steve the Fiddle <[hidden email]> wrote:
"millisecond"? (and "centisecond"?)

millisecond is much better!
not sure about centisecond. I don't think it used that much in general conversation. On the context menu of the time controls in the selection bar, "hundredths" is used. However, when using the format, when screen readers are reading the time, "centiseconds" is used.

I've changed thousandth second -> Millisecond, and left Hundredth second unchanged: