Amazing fractions

Robert Hänggi
Hi
Have you ever wondered what
849748551766 divided by 2821109907455 gives?
Not even in base 36?
A pity since it is the rational approximation of...
..Well, look for yourself
(Click on more digits)
https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=849748551766%2F2821109907455+in+base+36

Robert

Re: Amazing fractions

Cliff Scott
Amazing. The question that comes to my mind is: what would move a person to choose those numbers to divide and then in base 36 in the first place? Was someone working backwards from a desired result?

Cliff

> On May 27, 2017, at 7:22 AM, Robert Hänggi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi
> Have you ever wondered what
> 849748551766 divided by 2821109907455 gives?
> Not even in base 36?
> A pity since it is the rational approximation of...
> ..Well, look for yourself
> (Click on more digits)
> https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=849748551766%2F2821109907455+in+base+36
>
> Robert

Re: Amazing fractions

Robert Hänggi
Yes Cliff.
I stumbled upon the procedure somewhere and just changed the outcome.
You can essentially do it with any phrase (short and periodic works best).
prefix it with 0. and append _36 at the end.
For instance 0.cliffcliffcliffcliff_36
(base 20 would also do in this case)
Paste it into wolfram alpha and it gives you some interpretations.

Clicking a result puts it into the input box.

It has some other cool features, especially in mathematics and also for audio.
Try some examples...

Robert

On 27/05/2017, Cliff Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Amazing. The question that comes to my mind is: what would move a person to
> choose those numbers to divide and then in base 36 in the first place? Was
> someone working backwards from a desired result?
>
> Cliff
>
>> On May 27, 2017, at 7:22 AM, Robert Hänggi <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>> Have you ever wondered what
>> 849748551766 divided by 2821109907455 gives?
>> Not even in base 36?
>> A pity since it is the rational approximation of...
>> ..Well, look for yourself
>> (Click on more digits)
>> https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=849748551766%2F2821109907455+in+base+36
>>
>> Robert

Re: Amazing fractions

Cliff Scott
Pretty cool. Actually my name requires base 22 to accommodate the L, but I did work it backwards to a rational fraction. Looks like fun to play with.

Cliff

> On May 27, 2017, at 8:48 AM, Robert Hänggi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yes Cliff.
> I stumbled upon the procedure somewhere and just changed the outcome.
> You can essentially do it with any phrase (short and periodic works best).
> prefix it with 0. and append _36 at the end.
> For instance 0.cliffcliffcliffcliff_36
> (base 20 would also do in this case)
> Paste it into wolfram alpha and it gives you some interpretations.
>
> Clicking a result puts it into the input box.
>
> It has some other cool features, especially in mathematics and also for audio.
> Try some examples...
>
> Robert
>
> On 27/05/2017, Cliff Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Amazing. The question that comes to my mind is: what would move a person to
>> choose those numbers to divide and then in base 36 in the first place? Was
>> someone working backwards from a desired result?
>>
>> Cliff
>>
>>> On May 27, 2017, at 7:22 AM, Robert Hänggi <[hidden email]>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi
>>> Have you ever wondered what
>>> 849748551766 divided by 2821109907455 gives?
>>> Not even in base 36?
>>> A pity since it is the rational approximation of...
>>> ..Well, look for yourself
>>> (Click on more digits)
>>> https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=849748551766%2F2821109907455+in+base+36
>>>
>>> Robert

Re: Amazing fractions

Robert Hänggi
Oops, I forgot the l...

It is also a great way to compress things.
Let's say that we take an irrational number (in this case "e") as our
data base and you would ask me what browser I'm using.
My answer would be "14th" decimal place--encodable in 4 bits.

Can you guess it from the attached mp3 file?

That's a compression ratio of 448:1... 8-O

(here, it is a probabilistic compression since the name has to be
inferred from the language context.)

Robert

On 27/05/2017, Cliff Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Pretty cool. Actually my name requires base 22 to accommodate the L, but I
> did work it backwards to a rational fraction. Looks like fun to play with.
>
> Cliff
>
>> On May 27, 2017, at 8:48 AM, Robert Hänggi <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Yes Cliff.
>> I stumbled upon the procedure somewhere and just changed the outcome.
>> You can essentially do it with any phrase (short and periodic works best).
>> prefix it with 0. and append _36 at the end.
>> For instance 0.cliffcliffcliffcliff_36
>> (base 20 would also do in this case)
>> Paste it into wolfram alpha and it gives you some interpretations.
>>
>> Clicking a result puts it into the input box.
>>
>> It has some other cool features, especially in mathematics and also for
>> audio.
>> Try some examples...
>>
>> Robert
>>
>> On 27/05/2017, Cliff Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Amazing. The question that comes to my mind is: what would move a person
>>> choose those numbers to divide and then in base 36 in the first place?
>>> Was
>>> someone working backwards from a desired result?
>>>
>>> Cliff

used_browser.mp3 (98K) Download Attachment

Re: Amazing fractions

Cliff Scott
You've got me on that one. I can only decipher a few of the numbers and words in the audio even when slowing it down. My ears are not as quick as they used to be. The 14th place in e is the digit 4, but what do you mean by "encodable in 4 bits"? What kind of encoding?

Cliff

> On May 28, 2017, at 2:08 AM, Robert Hänggi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Oops, I forgot the l...
>
> It is also a great way to compress things.
> Let's say that we take an irrational number (in this case "e") as our
> data base and you would ask me what browser I'm using.
> My answer would be "14th" decimal place--encodable in 4 bits.
>
> Can you guess it from the attached mp3 file?
>
> That's a compression ratio of 448:1... 8-O
>
> (here, it is a probabilistic compression since the name has to be
> inferred from the language context.)
>
> Robert
>
> On 27/05/2017, Cliff Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Pretty cool. Actually my name requires base 22 to accommodate the L, but I
>> did work it backwards to a rational fraction. Looks like fun to play with.
>>
>> Cliff
>>
>>> On May 27, 2017, at 8:48 AM, Robert Hänggi <[hidden email]>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes Cliff.
>>> I stumbled upon the procedure somewhere and just changed the outcome.
>>> You can essentially do it with any phrase (short and periodic works best).
>>> prefix it with 0. and append _36 at the end.
>>> For instance 0.cliffcliffcliffcliff_36
>>> (base 20 would also do in this case)
>>> Paste it into wolfram alpha and it gives you some interpretations.
>>>
>>> Clicking a result puts it into the input box.
>>>
>>> It has some other cool features, especially in mathematics and also for
>>> audio.
>>> Try some examples...
>>>
>>> Robert

Re: Amazing fractions

Robert Hänggi
It's certainly not safari.
Cortana (Windows 10 personal assistant) recognizes it...

Robert