Audacity 2.1.1's Chinese (Simplified) lang is missing

Audacity 2.1.1's Chinese (Simplified) lang is missing

min zhang

I’m testing audacity 2.1.1 on my mac(mac os 10.9.5) and I found Chinese(Simplified) is missing. my system language is English but I’d like audacity to be Chinese for testing. Is this a application error or something else?

Re: Audacity 2.1.1's Chinese (Simplified) lang is missing

James Crook

We have zh - Chinese and zh_TW - Taiwanese.

We don't have zh_CN or zh_SG  (mainland China, Singapore - which use simplified characters)
We don't have a zh_HK (Hong Kong - which uses traditional)

I know nothing about the Chinese language.  I don't know whether our zh is actually zh_CN, zh_SG or zh_HK.

Try opening Chinese (Traditional).  Maybe it is mislabeled?
Do we need to change its label to zh_CN?

If so we will fix that in 2.1.2.

We used to have a zh_CN translated by min zang who did the recent zh translation too, so maybe it is just a mislabel?  Please let us know.

--James.

https://www.gigenetcloud.com/

Re: Audacity 2.1.1's Chinese (Simplified) lang is missing

min zhang
hello, James Crook
For audacity, zh means zh_CN (i.e. Chinese Simplified, it's the most common written Chinese in China). I'm the translator of Chinese Simplified so I'm sure of that. I think it's better to change zh to zh_CN, in order to avoid misunderstanding.

Re: Audacity 2.1.1's Chinese (Simplified) lang is missing

James Crook
Thanks.  And thanks for translating.
We will do that for 2.1.2
--James.

On 07/07/2015 09:43, min zhang wrote:
> hello, James Crook
> For audacity, zh means zh_CN (i.e. Chinese Simplified, it's the most
> common written Chinese in China). I'm the translator of Chinese
> Simplified so I'm sure of that. I think it's better to change zh to
> zh_CN, in order to avoid misunderstanding.

Re: Audacity 2.1.1's Chinese (Simplified) lang is missing

min zhang

Still no one my problem here,

this is Audacity 2.1.0, as you can see there is a Chinese(Simplified) in Language preference.

and this is Audacity 2.1.1, Chinese (Simplified)is missing.

Re: Audacity 2.1.1's Chinese (Simplified) lang is missing

min zhang wrote
Still no one my problem here,
this is Audacity 2.1.0, as you can see there is a Chinese(Simplified) in Language preference.

and this is Audacity 2.1.1, Chinese (Simplified)is missing.
Thank you for the report, yes it's a problem on all operating systems and I
have set it to the highest rating that does not block a release.

I have written a release note telling users how to display Audacity in Chinese
Simplified. In your case on Mac, quit Audacity and edit audacity.cfg to

[Locale]
Language=zh

I don't think renaming zh.po to "zh_CN" po will fix the missing menu item but
we should make that change anyway. Then users with computers set to
Traditional Chinese will see the correct language on Mac and Linux when they
install Audacity or reset Preferences.

Gale