Audacity-2.1.3rc3 finds but ignores system ffmpeg libs.

Re: Audacity-2.1.3rc3 finds but ignores system ffmpeg libs.

Dave Plater

On 14/03/2017 14:44, James Crook wrote:
> Most linux builders don't currently know to run the
> audacity/mac/get_gitident.sh, script and they probably won't realise

audacity/mac/scripts/get_gitident.sh but the downloaded tarball is
stripped of .git

> their responsibility to revert it after compiling, to make sure the
> wrong id isn't used with a modded version.  So Linux builds from source
> are likely to have no gitident, just the version number and timestamp.

I have to patch out timestamps to prevent excessive rebuilds in our
automatic build system, the 2.1.2 patch didn't apply so I'm leaving that
till last.

> They will therefore appear as 'builds built from source, not by Audacity
> team'.  IF a maintainer like David wants to work with us on this, he can
> provide the query string that openSUSE's build uses when doing
> check-version, and we can then add that in to our script and say
> 'Offical openSUSE 2.1.3 version.  Your version is up to date'.  The
> timestamp will be enough.  It doesn't have to have the gitidnet.
>
> Note that we also have enough information to say whether a version is
> mac or windows or linux when it is a known build.
>
> --James.
Our %configure macro used in the spec file passes
--host=x86_64-suse-linux-gnu and --build=x86_64-suse-linux-gnu to configure.
/etc/os/release contains all the info this is my current system:
cat /etc/os-release
NAME="openSUSE Leap"
VERSION="42.2"
ID=opensuse
ID_LIKE="suse"
VERSION_ID="42.2"
PRETTY_NAME="openSUSE Leap 42.2"
ANSI_COLOR="0;32"
CPE_NAME="cpe:/o:opensuse:leap:42.2"
BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.opensuse.org"
HOME_URL="https://www.opensuse.org/"

Currently the Commit Id: field in Build information gives "No revision
identifier was provided" but I use the full git revision code in the
spec file to automatically download the source tarball so I can pass it
to configure.
Best regards
Dave

On 14/03/2017 20:08, Gale Andrews wrote:
> The libflac currently shipped with Audacity is 1.3.1, which does compile
> with Audacity.
>
> On Ubuntu 14.04 my system libflac is claimed as "1.3.0-2ubuntu0.14.04.1"
> which again I can build Audacity against.
>
> I am guessing James has the same system libflac, so something else than
> flac version "might" be the cause of Audacity build problems.

I get an undefined symbol error with 1.3.0, I will investigate this
later, it's possibly something in our flac build. My main task is to get
audacity build 100% before you release 2.1.3. I've already fixed the
wxWidgets containers package I created for audacity so far.

Dave

Re: Audacity-2.1.3rc3 finds but ignores system ffmpeg libs.

Dave Plater

On 14/03/2017 20:08, Gale Andrews wrote:

> The libflac currently shipped with Audacity is 1.3.1, which does compile
> with Audacity.
>
> On Ubuntu 14.04 my system libflac is claimed as "1.3.0-2ubuntu0.14.04.1"
> which again I can build Audacity against.
>
> I am guessing James has the same system libflac, so something else than
> flac version "might" be the cause of Audacity build problems.
>
> Thanks for your input.
>

> Gale
Using revision #2fef7f34b82e1a14af4c4b27f486ce9d13fe3086 and no patch
system ffmpeg is used but this happens:
checking for FLAC... no
checking for FLAC... yes
configure: FLAC libraries are available as system libraries
checking for ./lib-src/libflac/include/FLAC/format.h... yes
checking for ./lib-src/libflac/include/FLAC++/decoder.h... yes
configure: FLAC libraries are available in this source tree
and
configure: disabling LIBFLAC at your request

Is your Audacity not building against local libflac perhaps?

Dave

URL args (was: Audacity-2.1.3rc3 finds but ignores system ffmpeg libs.)

On 3/15/2017 7:00 AM, Dave Plater wrote:

> On 14/03/2017 14:44, James Crook wrote:
>> Most linux builders don't currently know to run the
>> audacity/mac/get_gitident.sh, script and they probably won't realise
> audacity/mac/scripts/get_gitident.sh but the downloaded tarball is
> stripped of .git
Agreed.  It serves no useful purpose in the tarball and could be removed.

>> their responsibility to revert it after compiling, to make sure the
>> wrong id isn't used with a modded version.  So Linux builds from source
>> are likely to have no gitident, just the version number and timestamp.
> I have to patch out timestamps to prevent excessive rebuilds in our
> automatic build system, the 2.1.2 patch didn't apply so I'm leaving that
> till last.

So you're removing the timestring, &Time=Mar8201714:01:59.  If you do
you can put whatever arguments you like on the URL instead, e.g.

&SUSEBuildID=1234
or just
&SUSE

Our script for 'check version' is doing simple string matching.  So you
can tell us you would like:

'from_ver=2.1.3&SUSEBuildID=1234'

to give the message 'You are using the latest version of Audacity
released for SUSE' and

'from_ver=2.1.3&SUSEBuildID=1233'

to give the message 'A more recent version of Audacity for SUSE is
available'

We can then just update our script on our server wit those strings/messages.

>> They will therefore appear as 'builds built from source, not by Audacity
>> team'.  IF a maintainer like David wants to work with us on this, he can
>> provide the query string that openSUSE's build uses when doing
>> check-version, and we can then add that in to our script and say
>> 'Offical openSUSE 2.1.3 version.  Your version is up to date'.  The
>> timestamp will be enough.  It doesn't have to have the gitidnet.
>>
>> Note that we also have enough information to say whether a version is
>> mac or windows or linux when it is a known build.
>>
>> --James.
> Our %configure macro used in the spec file passes
> --host=x86_64-suse-linux-gnu and --build=x86_64-suse-linux-gnu to configure.
> /etc/os/release contains all the info this is my current system:
> cat /etc/os-release
> NAME="openSUSE Leap"
> VERSION="42.2"
> ID=opensuse
> ID_LIKE="suse"
> VERSION_ID="42.2"
> PRETTY_NAME="openSUSE Leap 42.2"
> ANSI_COLOR="0;32"
> CPE_NAME="cpe:/o:opensuse:leap:42.2"
> BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.opensuse.org"
> HOME_URL="https://www.opensuse.org/"
>
> Currently the Commit Id: field in Build information gives "No revision
> identifier was provided" but I use the full git revision code in the
> spec file to automatically download the source tarball so I can pass it
> to configure.
So, let me check, you get the source zip from github, using the git
revision code, patch the source with your patches, run our
maketarball.sh and then run configure on that?

If so then this could make sense as URL arguments:

?from_ver=2.1.3&CommitId=ffe4aa&SUSEPatchID=38adcb

It is up to you if you to what extent you use our 'check for updates'
approach.  If you use URL arguments like:

?from_ver=2.1.3&CommitId=ffe4aa&SUSE
or even:
?from_ver=2.1.3&SUSE

We can still tell your patched builds apart from ours.

Re: Audacity-2.1.3rc3 finds but ignores system ffmpeg libs.

Dave Plater
Ignore the last message, I had a --without-libflac flag left behind. I
retried building with openSUSE's flac-1.3.0 and I get this error:
ondemand/ODDecodeFlacTask.cpp: In member function 'virtual void
ODFLACFile::metadata_callback(const FLAC__StreamMetadata*)':
ondemand/ODDecodeFlacTask.cpp:84:12: error: 'FLAC__MAX_METADATA_TYPE'
was not declared in this scope
        case FLAC__MAX_METADATA_TYPE: // quiet compiler warning with
this line
I'm happy to use flac-1.3.2
Regards
Dave

On 15/03/2017 10:18, Dave Plater wrote:

> On 14/03/2017 20:08, Gale Andrews wrote:
>> The libflac currently shipped with Audacity is 1.3.1, which does compile
>> with Audacity.
>>
>> On Ubuntu 14.04 my system libflac is claimed as "1.3.0-2ubuntu0.14.04.1"
>> which again I can build Audacity against.
>>
>> I am guessing James has the same system libflac, so something else than
>> flac version "might" be the cause of Audacity build problems.
>>
>> Thanks for your input.
>>

>> Gale
> Using revision #2fef7f34b82e1a14af4c4b27f486ce9d13fe3086 and no patch
> system ffmpeg is used but this happens:
> checking for FLAC... no
> checking for FLAC... yes
> configure: FLAC libraries are available as system libraries
> checking for ./lib-src/libflac/include/FLAC/format.h... yes
> checking for ./lib-src/libflac/include/FLAC++/decoder.h... yes
> configure: FLAC libraries are available in this source tree
> and
> configure: disabling LIBFLAC at your request
>
> Is your Audacity not building against local libflac perhaps?
>
> Dave

Re: URL args

Dave Plater

On 15/03/2017 11:08, James Crook wrote:

>>> Most linux builders don't currently know to run the
>>> audacity/mac/get_gitident.sh, script and they probably won't realise
>> audacity/mac/scripts/get_gitident.sh but the downloaded tarball is
>> stripped of .git
> Agreed.  It serves no useful purpose in the tarball and could be removed.
>

>>> their responsibility to revert it after compiling, to make sure the
>>> wrong id isn't used with a modded version.  So Linux builds from source
>>> are likely to have no gitident, just the version number and timestamp.
>> I have to patch out timestamps to prevent excessive rebuilds in our
>> automatic build system, the 2.1.2 patch didn't apply so I'm leaving that
>> till last.
> So you're removing the timestring, &Time=Mar8201714:01:59.  If you do
> you can put whatever arguments you like on the URL instead, e.g.
>
> &SUSEBuildID=1234
> or just
> &SUSE
>
> Our script for 'check version' is doing simple string matching.  So you
> can tell us you would like:
>
> 'from_ver=2.1.3&SUSEBuildID=1234'
>
> to give the message 'You are using the latest version of Audacity
> released for SUSE' and
>
> 'from_ver=2.1.3&SUSEBuildID=1233'
>
> to give the message 'A more recent version of Audacity for SUSE is
> available'
In the static LTS type releases like Leap:42 we don't encourage and
disable automatic updates. This is handled by an update repository.
Tumbleweed, the rolling release, announces updates when new snapshots
are released usually once a week. I also maintain an audacity package in
Packman with all the extra codecs like lame, this is linked to the
development package in multimedia:apps with macros that enable the use
of extra codecs. This is where this package will go when I've finished
and then on to Tumbleweed. The 2.1.3 release will go to the next
Leap:42.3 which is currently under development.
Best regards
Dave

> We can then just update our script on our server wit those strings/messages.
>
>>> They will therefore appear as 'builds built from source, not by Audacity
>>> team'.  IF a maintainer like David wants to work with us on this, he can
>>> provide the query string that openSUSE's build uses when doing
>>> check-version, and we can then add that in to our script and say
>>> 'Offical openSUSE 2.1.3 version.  Your version is up to date'.  The
>>> timestamp will be enough.  It doesn't have to have the gitidnet.
>>>
>>> Note that we also have enough information to say whether a version is
>>> mac or windows or linux when it is a known build.
>>>
>>> --James.
>> Our %configure macro used in the spec file passes
>> --host=x86_64-suse-linux-gnu and --build=x86_64-suse-linux-gnu to configure.
>> /etc/os/release contains all the info this is my current system:
>> cat /etc/os-release
>> NAME="openSUSE Leap"
>> VERSION="42.2"
>> ID=opensuse
>> ID_LIKE="suse"
>> VERSION_ID="42.2"
>> PRETTY_NAME="openSUSE Leap 42.2"
>> ANSI_COLOR="0;32"
>> CPE_NAME="cpe:/o:opensuse:leap:42.2"
>> BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.opensuse.org"
>> HOME_URL="https://www.opensuse.org/"
>>
>> Currently the Commit Id: field in Build information gives "No revision
>> identifier was provided" but I use the full git revision code in the
>> spec file to automatically download the source tarball so I can pass it
>> to configure.
> So, let me check, you get the source zip from github, using the git
> revision code, patch the source with your patches, run our
> maketarball.sh and then run configure on that?
>
> If so then this could make sense as URL arguments:
>
> ?from_ver=2.1.3&CommitId=ffe4aa&SUSEPatchID=38adcb
>
> It is up to you if you to what extent you use our 'check for updates'
> approach.  If you use URL arguments like:
>
> ?from_ver=2.1.3&CommitId=ffe4aa&SUSE
> or even:
> ?from_ver=2.1.3&SUSE
>
> We can still tell your patched builds apart from ours.

Re: URL args

James Crook
On 3/15/2017 11:09 AM, Dave Plater wrote:
In the static LTS type releases like Leap:42 we don't encourage and
disable automatic updates. This is handled by an update repository.
Tumbleweed, the rolling release, announces updates when new snapshots
are released usually once a week. I also maintain an audacity package in
Packman with all the extra codecs like lame, this is linked to the
development package in multimedia:apps with macros that enable the use
of extra codecs. This is where this package will go when I've finished
and then on to Tumbleweed. The 2.1.3 release will go to the next
Leap:42.3 which is currently under development.
Best regards
Dave
The 'check for updates' help menu item provides information about updates, but does not actually do them.  You probably don't want the string to be just:

http://www.audacityteam.org/download/?from_ver=2.1.3

The current message for that on our site is:

"You are using an old or unofficial version of Audacity 2.1.3
This version was never officially released, and is not suitable for production use."

If you use:
http://www.audacityteam.org/download/?from_ver=2.1.3&SUSE
we can provide a message about whether 2.1.3 is the latest release of our software, with a link to openSUSE.

or you could sidestep and use:
http://forums.opensuse.org/someurl

Re: URL args

Dave Plater

On 15/03/2017 15:54, James Crook wrote:

> The 'check for updates' help menu item provides information about
> updates, but does not actually do them.  You probably don't want the
> string to be just:
>
> http://www.audacityteam.org/download/?from_ver=2.1.3
>
> The current message for that on our site is:
>
> "You are using an old or unofficial version of Audacity 2.1.3
> This version was never officially released, and is not suitable for
> production use."
I get this message with the build from git.

> If you use:
> http://www.audacityteam.org/download/?from_ver=2.1.3&SUSE
> we can provide a message about whether 2.1.3 is the latest release of
> our software, with a link to openSUSE.
>
> or you could sidestep and use:
> http://forums.opensuse.org/someurl
>
> --James.
I'll have a look around in src/AboutDialog.cpp and work something out.
This is the link to openSUSE one click install:
https://software.opensuse.org/package/audacity?search_term=audacity#pkg-options
I see that it initially displays the Leap:42.1 package, should be the
Leap:42.2 one. I'll file a bug and get it fixed.
This is the link to the Packman package with all the codecs, I see that
it brings up my home:davepl development package as well:
https://pmbs.links2linux.de/search?search_text=audacity
I see that the openSUSE.org link is currently down.

Dave

Re: URL args

Dave Plater

On 16/03/2017 09:00, Dave Plater wrote:

> On 15/03/2017 15:54, James Crook wrote:
>> The 'check for updates' help menu item provides information about
>> updates, but does not actually do them.  You probably don't want the
>> string to be just:
>>
>> http://www.audacityteam.org/download/?from_ver=2.1.3
>>
>> The current message for that on our site is:
>>
>> "You are using an old or unofficial version of Audacity 2.1.3
>> This version was never officially released, and is not suitable for
>> production use."
> I get this message with the build from git.
>>
>> If you use:
>> http://www.audacityteam.org/download/?from_ver=2.1.3&SUSE
>> we can provide a message about whether 2.1.3 is the latest release of
>> our software, with a link to openSUSE.
>>
>> or you could sidestep and use:
>> http://forums.opensuse.org/someurl
>>
>> --James.
> I'll have a look around in src/AboutDialog.cpp and work something out.
> This is the link to openSUSE one click install:
> https://software.opensuse.org/package/audacity?search_term=audacity#pkg-options
>
> I see that it initially displays the Leap:42.1 package, should be the
> Leap:42.2 one. I'll file a bug and get it fixed.
> This is the link to the Packman package with all the codecs, I see that
> it brings up my home:davepl development package as well:
> https://pmbs.links2linux.de/search?search_text=audacity
> I see that the openSUSE.org link is currently down.
>
> Dave
To add to this try this interesting link that I use to track down packages:
https://maintainer.zq1.de/?pkg=audacity&type=auto&.submit=Search#audacity

Dave

Re: URL args

On 3/16/2017 7:00 AM, Dave Plater wrote:

> On 15/03/2017 15:54, James Crook wrote:
>> The 'check for updates' help menu item provides information about
>> updates, but does not actually do them.  You probably don't want the
>> string to be just:
>>
>> http://www.audacityteam.org/download/?from_ver=2.1.3
>>
>> The current message for that on our site is:
>>
>> "You are using an old or unofficial version of Audacity 2.1.3
>> This version was never officially released, and is not suitable for
>> production use."
> I get this message with the build from git.
Yes.  That is intentional.  Someone could build Audacity with unpatched
wxWidgets on windows or mac and distribute those binaries, and we don't
want to call that 'the latest official release'. 'This binary was never
officially released by Audacity team, ...' might be better wording for
the message.

To cover all bases we would have to capture a checksum of Audacity and
wxwidgets dlls and pass that as a url arg.  Then we can identify unique
binaries.  However, that was more work than we wanted to do.