Quantcast

Audacity and a foot pedal

Diane Martin
You have such a wonderful program with a great quality of sound. I am training to be a medical transcriptionist. We get reports of every sound quality, and hard to understand speakers, from the English as a second language, to speed talkers. Audacity is the only program I have found where I can slow it down without a lot of distortion, use the normalize function, and basically hear files that are the pits! I wish that you would create a lesser version of Audacity that has those functions plus the high pass filter and that could be used with a foot pedal. As it is, I use the Express Scribe software and foot pedal for the first run through. You can't slow it down because the distortion makes it sound like chipmunks. Then for the final passes, I use Audacity. I couldn't do these reports without it.

Thank you so much.

Re: Audacity and a foot pedal

audacity-help mailing list

    | From Diane Martin
    | Sat, 1 Sep 2007 10:45:26 -0600
    | Subject: [Audacity-help] Audacity and a foot pedal
    | I am training to be a medical transcriptionist. We get reports of every
    | sound quality, and hard to understand speakers, from the English as a
    | second language, to speed talkers. Audacity is the only program I have
    | found where I can slow it down without a lot of distortion, use the
    | normalize function, and basically hear files that are the pits! I wish that
    | you would create a lesser version of Audacity that has those functions
    | plus the high pass filter and that could be used with a foot pedal. As it
    | is, I use the Express Scribe software and foot pedal for the first run
    | through. You can't slow it down because the distortion makes it sound
    | like chipmunks. Then for the final passes, I use Audacity. I couldn't do
    | these reports without it.

The demand to use Audacity solely for transcription would not justify a
separate version or interface and probably would not justify adding support
for foot pedals either, at least in the short term. However as we are asked
for foot pedal support from time to time I have added your vote for this to
our user-editable Feature Requests page:
http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=Feature_Requests#Better_transcription_support

If you can suggest any additional features or improvements to existing
features that would assist you in your work, please add them to that
section.

Meantime if you can find and install a suitable driver so that the pedal
delivers mouse clicks or key strokes then Audacity can be controlled by
these. The pedal manufacturer might be able to assist if you ask them, or
the pedal may already have utility software that lets you map foot pedal
buttons to specific keystrokes. The PI Engineering XKeys and VPedal foot
pedals include keystroke mapping software.

Or on Windows, if your pedal appears in the list of available Game Controllers,
you may be able to use software such as AutoHotKey (freeware):
http://www.autohotkey.com/

to map foot pedal buttons to specific keystrokes. On a Mac, you can use
USB Hotkey (shareware) to do likewise.
http://www.usboverdrive.com/

If desired, you can modify the Audacity keyboard shortcuts on the Keyboard
tab of Audacity Preferences.

Thanks for the kudos (though there is no need to send it three times.....)

Gale Andrews

Outbound message virus free.
Tested on: 9/1/2007 7:59:10 PM

Re: Audacity and a foot pedal

Diane Martin
Oh my gosh! I am so sorry about the three times thing. It kept coming back
as undeliverable. I will try the options you suggested. It is such a great
program for this use. I have tried GearPlayer, Bytescribe Wav player,
Express Scribe, and of course the Windows media player. None of them clarify
the speech as well as Audacity does without the distortion.