Audacity compiled with visual studio 2015

Audacity compiled with visual studio 2015

David Bailes-3
Has anyone on the list got a build of Audacity compiled with visual studio 2015 (or 2017) which they could make available for me to download? It doesn't have to be up to date with the latest commits, and it doesn't matter what version of wxWidgets it uses.

Background: There is currently a problem using the "creators" update of windows 10, that Audacity can crash when using the Jaws screen reader. Window 10 is not officially listed as a target for visual studio 2013, so I wanted to check if this is the problem.

thanks,
David.

Re: Audacity compiled with visual studio 2015

Robert Hänggi
I guess it isn't easy to adapt it to VS 15/17.
Last time that I've tried, it succeeded in 18 projects and failed in 5.
WXWidgets had a good "Migration" report after importing but had also
some problems building afterwards.
Someone was able to build with  VS2015, if I don't err.

I would be happy to migrate to 2017 since NVDA does for some strange
reason refuse to read the editor content in VS2013.

Robert

On 05/06/2017, David Bailes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Has anyone on the list got a build of Audacity compiled with visual studio
> 2015 (or 2017) which they could make available for me to download? It
> doesn't have to be up to date with the latest commits, and it doesn't
> matter what version of wxWidgets it uses.
>
> Background: There is currently a problem using the "creators" update of
> windows 10, that Audacity can crash when using the Jaws screen reader.
> Window 10 is not officially listed as a target for visual studio 2013, so I
> wanted to check if this is the problem.
>
> thanks,
> David.

Re: Audacity compiled with visual studio 2015

Vaughan Johnson-4
Thanks for this, David and Robert.  I've been thinking about this, too, since release of 2017 version.  Heuristic has always been to be a version behind, waiting for the inevitable patches. So probably we should be at VS2015, I'm guessing. RM's decision whether it's important for next release. -- V

On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 12:06 AM, Robert Hänggi <[hidden email]> wrote:
I guess it isn't easy to adapt it to VS 15/17.
Last time that I've tried, it succeeded in 18 projects and failed in 5.
WXWidgets had a good "Migration" report after importing but had also
some problems building afterwards.
Someone was able to build with  VS2015, if I don't err.

I would be happy to migrate to 2017 since NVDA does for some strange
reason refuse to read the editor content in VS2013.

Robert, you can use visual studio 2017, and still use the 2013 compiler, as pointed out by Mark, and as documented here:

For just desktop development, visual studio 2017 takes up about 5GB on disk.

David.

Robert

On 05/06/2017, David Bailes <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Has anyone on the list got a build of Audacity compiled with visual studio
> 2015 (or 2017) which they could make available for me to download? It
> doesn't have to be up to date with the latest commits, and it doesn't
> matter what version of wxWidgets it uses.
>
> Background: There is currently a problem using the "creators" update of
> windows 10, that Audacity can crash when using the Jaws screen reader.
> Window 10 is not officially listed as a target for visual studio 2013, so I
> wanted to check if this is the problem.
>
> thanks,
> David.

Re: Audacity compiled with visual studio 2015

Henric Jungheim

The Visual Studio 2017 Build Tools require less space:
    https://www.visualstudio.com/downloads/#build-tools-for-visual-studio-2017

From the release notes: "Requires 250 MB to 2.1 GB of
available hard disk space"

For an IDE with less of a footprint than Visual Studio,
there is "Visual Studio Code".  I wouldn't suggest replacing
Visual Studio, but it may be an option for some.

[The "TL;DR" part ends here.  Windows build minutiae
follow.  You have been warned.]

The actual compiler chosen is determined by the
"PlatformToolset" MSBuild property.  It can be overridden
from the command line.  For example, to build with the
cl.exe 19.10 compiler that ships with VS2017 open "x86
Native Tools Command Prompt for VS 2017" (the "x64_x86 Cross
Tools for VS 2017" should also work), change directory to
"win" and run:

  msbuild /m /p:Configuration=Debug;Platform=Win32;PlatformToolset=v141 audacity.sln

For building from an arbitrary command prompt (or just
double-clicking from File Explorer), one needs to use
"vswhere" to locate the tools.  This can be used to build
wxWidgets 3.0.3 using their wx_vc12.sln file.
    https://github.com/henricj/audacity/blob/x64/win/build_wx2017.bat

Note that the .vcxproj files that wx_vc12.sln references all
have "<PlatformToolset>v120</PlatformToolset>"; setting it
on the command line forces it to v141 (or v141_xp).  That
script also sets the wxCompilerPrefix property so that
multiple toolsets can be used in the same wxWidgets
directory without the build files clobbering each other.
Using that property also requires some build changes for
Audacity to find the resulting files.

In order to be more AppVeyor friendly--since it doesn't
involve spending time building every platform/configuration
combination--a top-level MSBuild file was added that
delegates the Audacity build to audacity.sln and the
wxWidgets build to wx_vc12.sln:
   https://github.com/henricj/audacity/blob/x64/win/top.proj

For going beyond VS2013, one also needs something like the
changes here:
   https://github.com/henricj/audacity/tree/post-vs2013
That should be nearly the same as my outstanding pull
requests.

For purposes other than development (e.g., using ASIO or
trying to track down an, "it only happens here," bug with a
Debug build and wxDEBUG_LEVEL=2), it might be useful to
provide a simpler way for folks to build Audacity,
particularly on Windows.  "Download the source, put the
wxWidgets stuff here, double click this .bat file, then get
some coffee." Perhaps downloading and extracting wxWidgets
should also be automated?

Speaking of building, the appveyor.yml in master needed some
minor changes when I tried to get it to work.  The
AUDACITY_ROOT environment variable needs to look more like
this:
   AUDACITY_ROOT: '%APPVEYOR_BUILD_FOLDER%'
This is the file I use for building "master":
   https://github.com/henricj/audacity/blob/appveyor/appveyor.yml
It would be more useful it if generated some build artifacts
(e.g., a zip file with the resulting binaries), but it does
let me see if things compile with VS2013 when I'm on my laptop.
Any interest?  I think I can just copy some of what I did
for x64.

On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 02:22:55PM +0100, David Bailes wrote:

>    On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 12:06 AM, Robert Hänggi
>    <[1][hidden email]> wrote:
>
>      I guess it isn't easy to adapt it to VS 15/17.
>      Last time that I've tried, it succeeded in 18 projects and failed in
>      5.
>      WXWidgets had a good "Migration" report after importing but had also
>      some problems building afterwards.
>      Someone was able to build with  VS2015, if I don't err.
>      I would be happy to migrate to 2017 since NVDA does for some strange
>      reason refuse to read the editor content in VS2013.
>
>    Robert, you can use visual studio 2017, and still use the 2013
>    compiler, as pointed out by Mark, and as documented here:
>    [2]https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vcblog/2016/02/24/stuck-on-an-older
>    -toolset-version-move-to-visual-studio-2015-without-upgrading-your-tool
>    set/
>    For just desktop development, visual studio 2017 takes up about 5GB on
>    disk.
>    David.
>
>      Robert
>
>    On 05/06/2017, David Bailes <[3][hidden email]> wrote:
>    > Has anyone on the list got a build of Audacity compiled with visual
>    studio
>    > 2015 (or 2017) which they could make available for me to download? It
>    > doesn't have to be up to date with the latest commits, and it doesn't
>    > matter what version of wxWidgets it uses.
>    >
>    > Background: There is currently a problem using the "creators" update
>    of
>    > windows 10, that Audacity can crash when using the Jaws screen
>    reader.
>    > Window 10 is not officially listed as a target for visual studio
>    2013, so I
>    > wanted to check if this is the problem.
>    >
>    > thanks,
>    > David.
>    >

> References
>
>    1. mailto:[hidden email]
>    2. https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vcblog/2016/02/24/stuck-on-an-older-toolset-version-move-to-visual-studio-2015-without-upgrading-your-toolset/
>    3. mailto:[hidden email]
>    4. http://sdm.link/slashdot
>    5. mailto:[hidden email]
>    6. https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-devel

Re: Audacity compiled with visual studio 2015

Henric Jungheim

After some changes, the below appveyor.yml now produces an
artifact that contains a working audacity.exe.

E.g.,
   https://ci.appveyor.com/project/henricj/audacity-n5suy/build/artifacts

On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 09:11:13AM -0700, Henric Jungheim wrote:

> Speaking of building, the appveyor.yml in master needed some
> minor changes when I tried to get it to work.  The
> AUDACITY_ROOT environment variable needs to look more like
> this:
>    AUDACITY_ROOT: '%APPVEYOR_BUILD_FOLDER%'
> This is the file I use for building "master":
>    https://github.com/henricj/audacity/blob/appveyor/appveyor.yml
> It would be more useful it if generated some build artifacts
> (e.g., a zip file with the resulting binaries), but it does
> let me see if things compile with VS2013 when I'm on my laptop.
> Any interest?  I think I can just copy some of what I did
> for x64.

Re: Audacity compiled with visual studio 2015

MartynShaw
This is all very interesting, but I don't have time to follow it up at the moment.  Keep up the good work!

TTFN
Martyn