Audacity error on xubuntu 16.04

Chris Green
I haven't used audacity for a while and now it fails to load with:-

    chris$ audacity
    audacity: error while loading shared libraries: libSoundTouch.so.0:
    chris$

This is on xubuntu 16.04.  Does anyone know what might be wrong?

--
Chris Green

*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: Audacity error on xubuntu 16.04

stan-7
On Sun, 27 Nov 2016 21:40:23 +0000
Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I haven't used audacity for a while and now it fails to load with:-
>
>     chris$ audacity
>     audacity: error while loading shared libraries:
> libSoundTouch.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory chris$
>
> This is on xubuntu 16.04.  Does anyone know what might be wrong?

I think you need to install the soundtouch package.  This is the
description from Fedora, so you will have to find the equivalent for
xubuntu.

Name        : soundtouch
Version     : 1.9.2
Release     : 3.fc24

URL         : http://www.surina.net/soundtouch/
Summary     : Audio Processing library for changing Tempo, Pitch and
Playback Rates Description :
SoundTouch is a LGPL-licensed open-source audio processing library for
changing the Tempo, Pitch and Playback Rates of audio streams or
files. The SoundTouch library is suited for application developers
writing sound processing tools that require tempo/pitch control
functionality, or just for playing around with the sound effects.

The SoundTouch library source kit includes an example utility
SoundStretch which allows processing .wav audio files from a
command-line interface.

On Sun, Nov 27, 2016 at 03:31:35PM -0700, stan wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Nov 2016 21:40:23 +0000
> Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I haven't used audacity for a while and now it fails to load with:-
> >
> >     chris$ audacity
> >     audacity: error while loading shared libraries:
> > libSoundTouch.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> > directory chris$
> >
> > This is on xubuntu 16.04.  Does anyone know what might be wrong?
> >
> I think you need to install the soundtouch package.  This is the
> description from Fedora, so you will have to find the equivalent for
> xubuntu.
>
> Name        : soundtouch
> Version     : 1.9.2
> Release     : 3.fc24

It is installed:-

    root@t430# dpkg -l | grep soundtouch
    ii  libsoundtouch-dev:amd64                     1.9.2-2 amd64        Development files for the sound stretching library
    ii  libsoundtouch1:amd64                        1.9.2-2 amd64        Sound stretching library

However as far as I can see the above packages don't install the file
that audacity is looking for.

Strangely I have another xubuntu 16.04 system where audacity works
perfectly OK and that doesn't have libSoundTouch.so.0 either.

It seems that audacity on this system (where it doesn't work) is
looking for libSoundTouch.so.0 and 16.04 Ubuntu has libSoundTouch.so.1.

--
Chris Green

*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: Audacity error on xubuntu 16.04

stan-7
On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 20:06:22 +0000
Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It is installed:-
>
>     root@t430# dpkg -l | grep soundtouch
>     ii  libsoundtouch-dev:amd64                     1.9.2-2
> amd64        Development files for the sound stretching library ii
> libsoundtouch1:amd64                        1.9.2-2 amd64
> Sound stretching library
>
> However as far as I can see the above packages don't install the file
> that audacity is looking for.
>
> Strangely I have another xubuntu 16.04 system where audacity works
> perfectly OK and that doesn't have libSoundTouch.so.0 either.
>
> It seems that audacity on this system (where it doesn't work) is
> looking for libSoundTouch.so.0 and 16.04 Ubuntu has
> libSoundTouch.so.1.

That is strange.  I wonder if they were compiled with slightly
different constraints, so one wants >= .0, and one wants == .0 .

If you are feeling adventurous you could create a symbolic link to the
so.1 file for the so.0 file. (with su or root)

e.g.  ln -s /usr/lib64/libSoundTouch.so.1 /usr/lib64/libSoundTouch.so.0

The paths might be different on your system.  The reason that is a
little risky is that the .1 version might have a different api than
the .0 version.  But the difference might be completely irrelevant to
audacity, because it might not use the part that changed.

For what it's worth, the audacity here is version 2.1.3, and it uses
the .1 version of the SoundTouch library without problem.

*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: Audacity error on xubuntu 16.04

stan-7
On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 20:06:22 +0000
Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Strangely I have another xubuntu 16.04 system where audacity works
> perfectly OK and that doesn't have libSoundTouch.so.0 either.

You could run ldd on the audacity binary to see which version this
binary is dependent on.  You probably want to run it through grep,
since audacity is dependent on a *lot* of libraries.

ldd /usr/bin/audacity | grep -i soundtouch

It's probably dependent on .1, which is why it is working.

On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 02:49:45PM -0700, stan wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 20:06:22 +0000
> Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > It is installed:-
> >
> >     root@t430# dpkg -l | grep soundtouch
> >     ii  libsoundtouch-dev:amd64                     1.9.2-2
> > amd64        Development files for the sound stretching library ii
> > libsoundtouch1:amd64                        1.9.2-2 amd64
> > Sound stretching library
> >
> > However as far as I can see the above packages don't install the file
> > that audacity is looking for.
> >
> > Strangely I have another xubuntu 16.04 system where audacity works
> > perfectly OK and that doesn't have libSoundTouch.so.0 either.
> >
> > It seems that audacity on this system (where it doesn't work) is
> > looking for libSoundTouch.so.0 and 16.04 Ubuntu has
> > libSoundTouch.so.1.
>
> That is strange.  I wonder if they were compiled with slightly
> different constraints, so one wants >= .0, and one wants == .0 .
>
> If you are feeling adventurous you could create a symbolic link to the
> so.1 file for the so.0 file. (with su or root)
>
> e.g.  ln -s /usr/lib64/libSoundTouch.so.1 /usr/lib64/libSoundTouch.so.0

Yes, that's fixed it!

> The paths might be different on your system.  The reason that is a
> little risky is that the .1 version might have a different api than
> the .0 version.  But the difference might be completely irrelevant to
> audacity, because it might not use the part that changed.
>
> For what it's worth, the audacity here is version 2.1.3, and it uses
> the .1 version of the SoundTouch library without problem.

On my systems the files are in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu, so I just
did:-

    root@t430# cd /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
    root@t430# ln -s libSoundTouch.so.1 libSoundTouch.so.0

That doesnt exist on my other 16.04 system where audacity works fine
though, very odd.

On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 03:25:41PM -0700, stan wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 20:06:22 +0000
> Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Strangely I have another xubuntu 16.04 system where audacity works
> > perfectly OK and that doesn't have libSoundTouch.so.0 either.
>
> You could run ldd on the audacity binary to see which version this
> binary is dependent on.  You probably want to run it through grep,
> since audacity is dependent on a *lot* of libraries.
>
> ldd /usr/bin/audacity | grep -i soundtouch
>
> It's probably dependent on .1, which is why it is working.

Both systems say the following:-

    chris$ ldd /usr/bin/audacity | grep -i soundtouch
        libSoundTouch.so.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libSoundTouch.so.1 (0x00007f70f87fd000)

So why is one system failing with:-

    audacity: error while loading shared libraries: libSoundTouch.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

since accoring to ldd it shouldn't be trying to load libSoundTouch.so.0.

Oh well, the workaround in the previous E-Mail works.

On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 10:53:33PM +0000, Chris Green wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 03:25:41PM -0700, stan wrote:
> > On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 20:06:22 +0000
> > Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Strangely I have another xubuntu 16.04 system where audacity works
> > > perfectly OK and that doesn't have libSoundTouch.so.0 either.
> >
> > You could run ldd on the audacity binary to see which version this
> > binary is dependent on.  You probably want to run it through grep,
> > since audacity is dependent on a *lot* of libraries.
> >
> > ldd /usr/bin/audacity | grep -i soundtouch
> >
> > It's probably dependent on .1, which is why it is working.
> >
> Both systems say the following:-
>
>     chris$ ldd /usr/bin/audacity | grep -i soundtouch
>         libSoundTouch.so.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libSoundTouch.so.1 (0x00007f70f87fd000)
>
> So why is one system failing with:-
>
> audacity: error while loading shared libraries: libSoundTouch.so.0: cannot
>
> since accoring to ldd it shouldn't be trying to load libSoundTouch.so.0.
>
> Oh well, the workaround in the previous E-Mail works.

It's very curious, I can see no reason whatsoever for the audacity on
the 'bad' system to ask for libSoundTouch.so.0, searching for name
using the 'strings' command produces the following:-

    chris$ strings /usr/bin/audacity | grep libSound
    libSoundTouch.so.1
    chris$

The two binaries (/usr/bin/audacity) are identical.

I have also compared the system call sequence using ptrace and the two
systems are near enough identical except that the 'bad' one loads
libSoundTouch.so.0.  However there is a difference here, the 'good'
one goes straight to /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libSoundTouch.so.1
whereas the 'bad' one searches through the whole series of possible
library locations before finding libSoundTouch.so.0.

--
Chris Green

*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: Audacity error on xubuntu 16.04

stan-7
On Wed, 30 Nov 2016 23:26:51 +0000
Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 10:53:33PM +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> > Both systems say the following:-
> >
> >     chris$ ldd /usr/bin/audacity | grep -i soundtouch
> >         libSoundTouch.so.1
> > => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libSoundTouch.so.1 (0x00007f70f87fd000)
> >
> > So why is one system failing with:-
> >
> > audacity: error while loading shared libraries: libSoundTouch.so.0:
> > cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> >
> > since accoring to ldd it shouldn't be trying to load
> > libSoundTouch.so.0.
> >
> > Oh well, the workaround in the previous E-Mail works.
> >
> It's very curious, I can see no reason whatsoever for the audacity on
> the 'bad' system to ask for libSoundTouch.so.0, searching for name
> using the 'strings' command produces the following:-
>
>     chris$ strings /usr/bin/audacity | grep libSound
>     libSoundTouch.so.1
>     chris$
>
> The two binaries (/usr/bin/audacity) are identical.
>

> I have also compared the system call sequence using ptrace and the two
> systems are near enough identical except that the 'bad' one loads
> libSoundTouch.so.0.  However there is a difference here, the 'good'
> one goes straight to /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libSoundTouch.so.1
> whereas the 'bad' one searches through the whole series of possible
> library locations before finding libSoundTouch.so.0.

This is really bizarre.  Is it possible that you have an old version
dependent on .0 in /usr/local, and that /usr/local is before /usr/bin
in your $PATH? That would cause this error, as it looked for the
earlier version.

On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 08:46:28PM -0700, stan wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Nov 2016 23:26:51 +0000
> Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 10:53:33PM +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> > > Both systems say the following:-
> > >
> > >     chris$ ldd /usr/bin/audacity | grep -i soundtouch
> > >         libSoundTouch.so.1
> > > => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libSoundTouch.so.1 (0x00007f70f87fd000)
> > >
> > > So why is one system failing with:-
> > >
> > > audacity: error while loading shared libraries: libSoundTouch.so.0:
> > > cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> > >
> > > since accoring to ldd it shouldn't be trying to load
> > > libSoundTouch.so.0.
> > >
> > > Oh well, the workaround in the previous E-Mail works.
> > >
> > It's very curious, I can see no reason whatsoever for the audacity on
> > the 'bad' system to ask for libSoundTouch.so.0, searching for name
> > using the 'strings' command produces the following:-
> >
> >     chris$ strings /usr/bin/audacity | grep libSound
> >     libSoundTouch.so.1
> >     chris$
> >
> > The two binaries (/usr/bin/audacity) are identical.
> >

> > I have also compared the system call sequence using ptrace and the two
> > systems are near enough identical except that the 'bad' one loads
> > libSoundTouch.so.0.  However there is a difference here, the 'good'
> > one goes straight to /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libSoundTouch.so.1
> > whereas the 'bad' one searches through the whole series of possible
> > library locations before finding libSoundTouch.so.0.
> >
> This is really bizarre.  Is it possible that you have an old version
> dependent on .0 in /usr/local, and that /usr/local is before /usr/bin
> in your $PATH? That would cause this error, as it looked for the
> earlier version.

Aaarrrggghhh!!!  Why didn't I think of that?  I have a locally built
Audacity in /usr/local/bin which I built before 2.1.2 was in the
xubuntu repositories (there was a particular bug I needed to avoid).

Thank you!  :-)