Quantcast

Audacity for Video?

CNCBay
Hi Guys,

I recall some discussion about this before, but am not remembering
the consensus. Audacity is a GREAT program and I use it regularly,
effortlessly, and effectively. I'm spoiled! Of late, I find myself needing to burn
"TV DVD Player" useable video from my computer. I have used and
purchased a number of programs that supposedly do this, but
after many hours of effort encoding for a "DVD movie", I find that
they do not play in the DVD player/recorder that I have connected to my TV.

Basically what I want to do, is to move or capture any video content that
displays on my computer monitor into a program that I can then edit
and encode into a DVD movie format that can played on an ordinary
DVD player connected to a TV; -the same way that Audacity captures or records
audio through your sound card, then allows you to edit it and then encode
a standard MP3 audio.

I am using a fairly powerful PC running WINXP.

Any of you audio/video technical type folks have any suggestions?
Your thoughts and feedback are very much appreciated.

Yours truly (sitting on a pile of unusable DVDS)
Sam Peeples

Re: Audacity for Video?

James Poulakos
A few things come to mind.

1. Make sure your drive is capable of reading the type of blank DVD
you use. I have occasionally burned DVD-R DVDs, on my Mac, that then
failed to work on another person's PC. Switching to DVD+R solved that
problem, but then the +R disks sometimes gave *other* users problems.

Also, I wasn't sure if it was really the +R/-R difference, or the
quality of the blanks, that caused my troubles, since my +Rs were a
name brand [either Memorex or Maxell, I forget].

If you shopped for the computer or DVD drive, you probably know where
to look to find what blank DVD formats it's capable of using. Same
for your DVD player. If you can't find that out, try one of each: a
+R and a -R. Test each in your DVD player, and in someone else's PC
or Mac, if you can.

2. Camtasia has proven excellent for making screen-videos, though I
must say I've never yet used its output for a DVD.

3. DVDs cannot show your PC's screen at full resolution.

Keep in mind that the resolution of a DVD is far lower than your
typical PC screen's setup. You might be capturing video of a screen
that's sharp and clear at 1680 X 1050 pixels, but you can expect a
DVD to show you a soft, fuzzy and somewhat blurry version of that,
with the smallest text simply unreadable. Officially, a DVD is 720 X
480 pixels. On any given television, you will see even less of the
screen than that, because TV has a bit of "overscan", as they call it
-- it's as if the screen spills off the edges.

So capture only part of your PC's screen, if you expect viewers to
read the buttons you click on.

--moonie