Audacity 'freezes' after hitting play

samsamsontb
Hi.
So my audacity 1.3.13, running on ubuntu linux, won't playback any file or recorded sound. I've tried recording sound, and that works. But when I hit play, it 'freezes' after less than a second. When I say freeze I really am only talking about that bar cursor that tracks what position the song is at; it will immediatley stop after I hit play and won't move. The rest of the program, however, is not frozen. When I press stop, the "playback" stops and everything returns to normal. All other options and buttons seem to just go on standby when i press play, but like I said, the song simply won't play, whether it is recorded sound or an imported .wav. Any ideas?