Quantcast

[Audacity-help] Audacity does not recognize CD

[Audacity-help] Audacity does not recognize CD

Jeffrey Norwood

I downloaded Audacity but it will not recognize my cd drive or the input from my analog sound card.

Jeffrey Norwood

CCTS Camera Concepts & Telescope Solutions

33 East Main Street

Patchogue, NY 11772

Ph 631-475-1118

Fax 631-475-1158

Cell 631-335-1279

www.cameraconcepts.com

Re: [Audacity-help] Audacity does not recognize CD

audacity-help mailing list

    | From Jeffrey Norwood
    | Thu, 18 Jan 2007 13:47:40 -0500
    | Subject: [Audacity-help] Audacity does not recognize CD
    | I downloaded Audacity but it will not recognize my cd drive
    | or the input from my analog sound card.

Audacity does not recognise your CD Drive as a recording input because this
is a redundant option on most computers which is not actually implemented
in the hardware (i.e. there is no connection from the CD drive to the input of
the sound device).

If you want to extract the audio off an audio CD, don't try and record it off
the soundcard as this is slow (real time) and involves an un-necessary and
error-prone conversion from the digital domain to analogue and back again.
Instead, extract the tracks to a WAV or AIFF audio file using CD extraction
software, then you can import that WAV or AIFF into Audacity with the usual
Project > Import Audio command. Instructions for extracting the CD audio
with CD-EX, Windows Media Player 11 and iTunes are pasted underneath this
message. Alternatively on OS X, CD tracks are mounted as AIFF files in the
Finder, so you can drag the AIFF files from there into Audacity or import them
normally from within Audacity. If you do this we recommend you set Audacity
on the File Formats tab of Preferences to "when importing uncompressed audio..,
make a copy of the file" (otherwise you must ensure the CD is always available
when working on the tracks in Audacity).

Regarding not recognising input from your soundcard, we need to know what
operating system you are on (e.g. Windows XP,  OS X 10.4) and if you are on
OS X, whether it is an Intel Mac or Power PC). Also please tell us what source
you want to record from e.g. a record or tape player, or the audio that is playing
on the computer such as an internet stream.  Please also tell us what version of
Audacity you are using (see Help > About or Audacity > About in the program).

Whatever source you are recording from, you have to explicitly select the soundcard
as the recording device on the Audio I/O tab of Audacity Preferences. Do not
select Microsoft SoundMapper if you are on Windows.

If you want to record the sounds playing through the computer, you need to go to
the dropdown input selector on the Mixer Toolbar
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/onlinehelp-1.2/toolbar_mixer.htm

and turn up the right-hand input volume slider and select "Stereo Mix" or whatever
the source option is called that records the output from the computer. This option
may also be called "wave out", "sum", "what U hear", "loopback" or other names.
If the dropdown selector is greyed out or lacking an option to record the computer
output, you may need to select and/or or display this source in the system mixer
(e.g. Sounds and Audio Devices on Windows), or update the sound device drivers
to see if the required source can be made available - see:
http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=Mixer_Toolbar_Issues

Alternatively, you can instead use a cable to connect your computer's green
line-out (speaker) port to its blue line-in port, and choose line-in as the recording
source in Audacity's dropdown selector. If you do this, you'll need to double the
line-out port with a stereo single to double connector if you want to listen while
you're recording.

If you are on OS X, their sound chips do not normally support capturing audio with
a "stereo mix" type of option. We instead recommend using Audio Hijack
http://www.rogueamoeba.com/audiohijack/

to capture the audio before it reaches the soundcard. It will then be saved to an
AIFF file.

Gale Andrews

EXTRACTING AUDIO FROM CDS

For users on Windows we recommend CD-EX as a fully featured CD extraction
program:
http://gnuwin.epfl.ch/apps/cdex/en/install/cdex_151.exe

In the CD-EX window, simply select the CD tracks you want to extract to WAV
and press F8 or Convert > Extract CD track(s) to WAV. Make sure you know
where to look for the exported WAV files when you import them into Audacity.
By default CD-EX saves the WAV to one of your Documents and Settings folders
for whatever account you are logged into at the time. If in CD-EX you click
Options > Settings > Filenames tab and look in the second text box from the top
(probably marked "WAV --> MP3"), you will see the location where it saves its
output files from CD extraction or file conversion.

You can also extract audio CDs to WAV with Windows Media Player 11 (choose
WAV output at Tools > Options > Rip Music), or to WAV or AIFF with iTunes.
To do this in iTtunes, set the "conversion format" at Edit > Preferences >
Advanced > Importing: Import using AIFF encoder (or WAV if preferred). Under
that, choose the "automatic" setting. Then insert your CD in the computer and
click "Audio CD" on the "Source" pane on the left. Select the tracks you want to
extract and right-click on them and click the option "convert selection to AIFF"
(or ".. to WAV").

If you are on Linux or other Unix-like systems you can use K3b for Linux
http://www.k3b.org/

or Grip, for Gnome desktops
http://www.nostatic.org/grip/

Outbound message virus free.
Tested on: 1/18/2007 8:06:49 PM

Re: [Audacity-help] Audacity does not recognize CD

Jeffrey Norwood
Thank you. You have given me a lot of useful info. I have two more
questions:

1. Regarding not recognizing input from my soundcard, My info is as follows:

Windows XP
Recording from a Cassette player
Audacity version 1.2.6

Please help me get the sound from the player

2. The other problem I am having is that I am not getting a dropdown input
selector on the Mixer Toolbar at all. I cannot select my input.

> [...]

(or ".. to WAV").

If you are on Linux or other Unix-like systems you can use K3b for Linux
http://www.k3b.org/

or Grip, for Gnome desktops
http://www.nostatic.org/grip/

Outbound message virus free.
Tested on: 1/18/2007 8:06:49 PM

Re: [Audacity-help] Audacity does not recognize CD

audacity-help mailing list

    | From Jeffrey Norwood
    | Fri, 19 Jan 2007 10:35:36 -0500
    | Subject: [Audacity-help] Audacity does not recognize CD
    | Regarding not recognizing input from my soundcard, My info is as follows:
    | Windows XP
    | Recording from a Cassette player
    | Audacity version 1.2.6
    | Please help me get the sound from the player
    | The other problem I am having is that I am not getting a dropdown input
    | selector on the Mixer Toolbar at all. I cannot select my input.

The problems are connected. Whenever you record from Audacity you have to
first select the correct recording device at Edit > Preferences > Audio I/O tab
(if you only have one recording device e.g. built-in sound then naturally you
only have to do this once). Then you have to choose the recording source, which
should normally be possible in the Mixer Toolbar dropdown selector, but can
also be done on the Audio tab of Sounds and Audio Devices in the Windows
Control Panel.  If you were recording what the computer was playing you would
as described choose "stereo mix" or similar option (if the sound device offers this),
but if you were recording from a microphone you'd choose the "mic" source, and
where you want to record from a tape player, you'd choose the line-in source.

Please see this page for an explanation of why the Audacity dropdown selector
may be greyed out and ways to resolve it:
http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=Mixer_Toolbar_Issues

Please see this page for a tutorial on recording from cassettes to your computer
http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=Transferring_audio_tapes_to_your_computer_or_to_CD

This includes information on connecting the player to the computer and what
to do if you do not have the necessary line-in port on your computer to connect
to.

Gale Andrews

Outbound message virus free.
Tested on: 1/19/2007 5:39:26 PM