Quantcast

[Audacity-help] Help please - convert aud to mp3

[Audacity-help] Help please - convert aud to mp3

Eli and Angela Sharplin

Hello

I recently downloaded the Audacity sound editor and it was great but now I need to convert my file to mp3 or something so I can burn it to a CD.

Can you please help, how do I do this?

Thank you

Angela

Re: [Audacity-help] Help please - convert aud to mp3

audacity-help mailing list

    | From Eli and Angela Sharplin
    | Sun, 14 Jan 2007 23:21:38 +1300
    | Subject: [Audacity-help] Help please - convert aud to mp3
    | I recently downloaded the Audacity sound editor and it was great but now I
    | need to convert my file to mp3 or something so I can burn it to a CD.

If you want to burn an audio CD that will play on any standalone CD player (not
just on your computer), you always want to export your Project as a 44 100 Hz,
16 bit stereo WAV or AIFF file according to these instructions:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/faq?s=files&i=burn-cd

Note if you use dedicated burning software like Nero, you should open the
exported WAV or AIFF file from within that software, not drag and drop it from
your file manager, as if you are you are on Windows that always creates a
"data CD" (which will only play on your computer).

If you do only want to play your CD on your computer then you can if preferred
export your Project as an MP3 and then burn it onto an "MP3" or "data" CD. The
MP3 format is much smaller than WAV or AIFF so you will get much more than
the 80 minutes' playing time you get on an audio CD. On the other hand you will
lose a certain amount of audio quality as the price of the smaller filesize.

To export to MP3 you need to add the LAME MP3 encoder to your system and tell
Audacity where it is. See the instructions here on how to do this:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/faq?s=install&i=lame-mp3

Gale Andrews

Outbound message virus free.
Tested on: 1/15/2007 11:50:25 PM