[Audacity-help] creating 8-bit WAV files

[Audacity-help] creating 8-bit WAV files

Marshall Votta
Hi there -

I need to create WAV files that are 16000 Hz., 8-bit.  From the Audacity documentation, it looks like the program automatically converts sound to a minimum of 16-bit, no matter what.

Is there a way for me to save WAV files at 8-bit?  If not, can you recommend an application to convert to 8-bit after I'm finished with Audacity?

Thanks,
Marshall

Re: [Audacity-help] creating 8-bit WAV files

audacity-help mailing list

    | From Marshall Votta
    | Fri, 10 Nov 2006 07:12:55 -0500
    | Subject: [Audacity-help] creating 8-bit WAV files
    | I need to create WAV files that are 16000 Hz., 8-bit.  From the Audacity
    | documentation, it looks like the program automatically converts sound to
    | a minimum of 16-bit, no matter what.

Audacity always records or imports in either 16, 24 or 32 bit sample
format (as selected at Edit > Preferences > Quality) in order to maintain
the quality of the file for editing purposes. If it did not, editing of files
with 4 bit or 8 bit formats would lead to their rapid degradation. The
sample rate of imported files is always respected however.

If you need to export your WAV in 4 bit or 8 bit formats you can always
do so by choosing an appropriate export format at Edit > Preferences >
File Formats: Uncompressed Export Format - in your case choose
"WAV Microsoft 8 bit PCM" in that dropdown. Then set the Project Rate
button bottom left of the Audacity screen to 16 000 Hz (if it isn't already)
to export your WAV at 16 000 Hz.

If the track you want to export is at some other sample rate than 16 000 Hz
(as displayed on the track panel), then we'd advise you to resample it to
16 000 Hz before export, or (due to a current resampling bug), silence will be
added to the end of the exported track. To resample the track to 16 000 Hz
(with the Project Rate set at that rate), select the track by clicking in its
track panel then Project > Quick Mix. You will still have to select and delete
the added silence at the end of the track, but will then have no silence
in the exported WAV.

Gale Andrews

Outbound message virus free.
Tested on: 11/10/2006 8:05:55 PM