[Audacity-help] new microphone won't work with audacity

[Audacity-help] new microphone won't work with audacity

Monte Ladner

I have a new AT2020 mic and an alesis mixer that connect to my computer via a usb port.  I cannot get audacity to record sound with these.  I changed the Audio preference to reflect usb but that did not help.

What should I do?

Monte

Exercise is Real Medicine

www.drmonte.net

(508) 495-0431

Re: [Audacity-help] new microphone won't work with audacity

Gale Andrews

    | From "Monte Ladner" <[hidden email]>
    | Thu, 8 Jun 2006 19:58:21 -0400
    | I have a new AT2020 mic and an alesis mixer that connect to my
    | computer via a usb port.  I cannot get audacity to record sound with
    | these. I changed the Audio preference to reflect usb but that did not help.

We know you are frustrated but please stop sending multiple messages on the
same subject. This is a free program and most of the time only two volunteers
help on this list. It would also help if you gave the correct name of the
product which we have to try and look up, which is Alesis Multimix, and your
operating system and version of Audacity.

You are correct in setting the recording device in Audacity Preferences > Audio
I/O tab to the USB device. You can set the playback device as well to the USB
device or to your onboard sound. If you set the USB as playback device you
should be able to monitor the recording without any latency if you wish to.

As far as I can see the Alesis uses system drivers and has none of its own
so there should not be driver issues.  Have you looked at the input selector
on Audacity's mixer toolbar
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/onlinehelp-1.2/toolbar_mixer.htm

Is it greyed out or are there choices there (or in the Windows Sounds and
Audio Devices Control Panel Applet, or Apple Sound and Midi setup, or in
any custom mixer Alesis has) for setting the source to the microphone port
you are using? Have you got the microphone in one of the four mic ports?
In Audacity have you got the right hand of the two volume sliders on the
mixer toolbar turned up?

Have you got another microphone you can test with the mixer to eliminate
the AT as the cause of the problem?

If you need to write back please tell us your operating system and version
of Audacity.

Gale Andrews

---
Outbound message virus-free.
Tested on: 09/06/2006 16:09:39

Re: [Audacity-help] new microphone won't work with audacity

Monte Ladner
Gale,

Thank you for your reply.  I was not trying to be abusive, I was sending
e-mails to so many different places to try to figure out this problem that I
must have inadvertently e-mailed you more than once - my apologies.

For your notes, the problem was (as I knew it would be) very simple: In
addition to selecting the audio input source as USB Audio CODEC (which I had
already done) you also have to put a check in the box next to software
playthrough in the AUDIO I/O preference tab.

Thank you,

Monte

Exercise is Real Medicine
www.drmonte.net
(508) 495-0431

    | I have a new AT2020 mic and an alesis mixer that connect to my
    | computer via a usb port.  I cannot get audacity to record sound with
    | these. I changed the Audio preference to reflect usb but that did not
help.

We know you are frustrated but please stop sending multiple messages on the
same subject. This is a free program and most of the time only two
volunteers
help on this list. It would also help if you gave the correct name of the
product which we have to try and look up, which is Alesis Multimix, and your
operating system and version of Audacity.

You are correct in setting the recording device in Audacity Preferences >
Audio
I/O tab to the USB device. You can set the playback device as well to the
USB
device or to your onboard sound. If you set the USB as playback device you
should be able to monitor the recording without any latency if you wish to.

As far as I can see the Alesis uses system drivers and has none of its own
so there should not be driver issues.  Have you looked at the input selector

on Audacity's mixer toolbar
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/onlinehelp-1.2/toolbar_mixer.htm

Is it greyed out or are there choices there (or in the Windows Sounds and
Audio Devices Control Panel Applet, or Apple Sound and Midi setup, or in
any custom mixer Alesis has) for setting the source to the microphone port
you are using? Have you got the microphone in one of the four mic ports?
In Audacity have you got the right hand of the two volume sliders on the
mixer toolbar turned up?

Have you got another microphone you can test with the mixer to eliminate
the AT as the cause of the problem?

If you need to write back please tell us your operating system and version
of Audacity.

Gale Andrews

---
Outbound message virus-free.
Tested on: 09/06/2006 16:09:39

Re: [Audacity-help] new microphone won't work with audacity

Gale Andrews

    | From "Monte Ladner" <[hidden email]>
    | Fri, 9 Jun 2006 14:53:58 -0400
    | Gale,
    |
    | Thank you for your reply.  I was not trying to be abusive, I was sending
    | e-mails to so many different places to try to figure out this problem that I
    | must have inadvertently e-mailed you more than once - my apologies.
    |
    | For your notes, the problem was (as I knew it would be) very simple: In
    | addition to selecting the audio input source as USB Audio CODEC (which I had
    | already done) you also have to put a check in the box next to software
    | playthrough in the AUDIO I/O preference tab.

I am very glad you fixed it. That option enables you to hear a recording (that
is being successfully made in the first place) whilst you are making it. Not
enabling that option would not stop you hearing it upon playing it back after
recording.  Your messages appeared to be clear that no recording was being
made - you even said in one message there were "no sound waves on the
recording track" (i.e. presumably a flat line) which is why I suggested among
other things turning up the input volume on the mixer toolbar.  Hope this helps.

Gale Andrews
---
Outbound message virus-free.
Tested on: 09/06/2006 20:26:51

Re: [Audacity-help] new microphone won't work with audacity

Anthony
I have the smae exact microphone, It used to work on my old computer but since this new one, I can't seem tohave it show up in audacity's preferences like the old one. I downloaded 1.3 Beta and am running on windows xp 2002 sp3. im also using a m-audio fast track interface.  I see the light flashing everytime i noise flows threw the microphone. I tested i t with earphones while set on direct monitor so I know it works. Its just audacity i cant get it to work with. I have the smae exact microphone, It used to work on my old computer but since this new one, I can't seem tohave it show up in audacity's preferences like the old one. I downloaded 1.3 Beta and am running on windows xp 2002 sp3. im also using a m-audio fast track interface.  I see the light flashing everytime i noise flows threw the microphone. I tested i t with earphones while set on direct monitor so I know it works. Its just audacity i cant get it to work with.