Audacity on latest mac osx sierra with VoiceOver.

Audacity on latest mac osx sierra with VoiceOver.

Anders Holmberg
Hi!
I am currently using Audacity latest version on the latest mac osx sierra.
I use the screenreader Voiceover and have problems in the preferences pane accessing the categories scrollbar.
THe only option i can set is the playbac and recording devices.
Any thoughts on this?
/A
*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: Audacity on latest mac osx sierra with VoiceOver.

Audacity 2.1.2 or 2.1.3-alpha are not screen reader accessible on Mac.

It is recommended to use the 2.1.1-screen-reader version (either ZIP or
DMG) which you can obtain here:
http://www.audacityteam.org/download/mac/ .

Gale

On 15 December 2016 at 22:53, Anders Holmberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi!
> I am currently using Audacity latest version on the latest mac osx sierra.
> I use the screenreader Voiceover and have problems in the preferences pane accessing the categories scrollbar.
> THe only option i can set is the playbac and recording devices.
> Any thoughts on this?
> /A
> *********** ASKING FOR HELP *************
>
> When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
> help you properly:
>
> * What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)
>
> * Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
>    Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)
>
> * If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
>    connected to the computer?
>
> Mailing list: [hidden email]
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, use the form at the bottom of this web page:

*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: Audacity on latest mac osx sierra with VoiceOver.

Anders Holmberg
Hi!
Is there something i wont be able to do with the screenReader version that can be done with the latest?
/A

On 18 December 2016 at 19:39, Anders Holmberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi!
> Is there something i wont be able to do with the screenReader version that can be done with the latest?

Obvious to state, any features new to 2.1.2 and 2.1.3 (when released) won't
be in  2.1.1-screen reader.

Here are some 2.1.2 Improvements:
http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Release_Notes_2.1.2#Improvements .

In 2.1.3, the new Option + LEFT and Option + RIGHT shortcuts would
in theory let you screen read Audacity labels for the first time. But this
does not work on Mac with VoiceOver.

You can read about other improvements in 2.1.3 here:
http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Next_Release#Headline_Features .

But if you generally can't use 2.1.3 properly with VoiceOver, I don't
see that 2.1.3 will help you much.

Gale

> [...]
>    Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)
>
> * If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
>    connected to the computer?
>
> Mailing list: [hidden email]
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, use the form at the bottom of this web page:

*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: Audacity on latest mac osx sierra with VoiceOver.

BUt will later versions of audacity work with VoiceOver?
Otherwise we have to stick with other apps.
But its sad because its free and very good.
/A

On 19 December 2016 at 13:57, Anders Holmberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi!
> BUt will later versions of audacity work with VoiceOver?

Not properly. If you want to hear the track table easily you must use the
2.1.1-screen-reader version.

Gale

> [...]
>    Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)
>
> * If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
>    connected to the computer?
>
> Mailing list: [hidden email]
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, use the form at the bottom of this web page:

*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: Audacity on latest mac osx sierra with VoiceOver.

Alex Hall-2
I just want to be clear, then: moving forward, VoiceOver will not be supported in new versions of Audacity? That is, VO users should look elsewhere for audio editing software? What about Windows screen reader users?

Sent from my iPhone

> [...]
>>
>> * If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
>>   connected to the computer?
>>
>> Mailing list: [hidden email]
>> To UNSUBSCRIBE, use the form at the bottom of this web page:

> *********** ASKING FOR HELP *************
>
> When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
> help you properly:
>
> * What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)
>
> * Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
>   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)
>
> * If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
>   connected to the computer?
>
> Mailing list: [hidden email]
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, use the form at the bottom of this web page:

Training and support from Colfax.
*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: Audacity on latest mac osx sierra with VoiceOver.

The correct list for discussing visually impaired concerns is really
audacity4blind. I am not an expert in these matters.

But in general terms, our necessary move to wxWidgets 3.0.2 in Audacity
2.1.2 broke much of our accessibility for VoiceOver. Paul Licameli has
made improvements but they are not sufficient yet. We may need to
substantially patch the wxWidgets sources or redesign features so that
they have widgets-independent accessibility built in. It will be a long job,
perhaps extending over several releases. 2.1.1-screen-reader is still a
viable version for the visually impaired.

None of this applies to Windows, where screen reader support remains
excellent. I mentioned for example ALT+LEFT and ALT+RIGHT which will
be new in 2.1.3 (when released) and which (on Windows) allows label
names and their order in the label track to be read.

Gale

On 19 December 2016 at 16:47, Alex Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> * If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
>    connected to the computer?
>
> Mailing list: [hidden email]
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, use the form at the bottom of this web page:

Training and support from Colfax.
*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: Audacity on latest mac osx sierra with VoiceOver.

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't know WX had broken so much. That's the Phenix branch, right? Hopefully the team will keep patching that as they move forward, so Audacity and other projects can get the fixes. I wonder how big a pain it would be to make Audacity use native controls by using Cocoa and just keeping the under-the-hood technology in place?

Sent from my iPhone