Audio recording off of AT2020 inaudible

Chris
I have an Audio Technica 2020 connected to a Tascam US-100 USB Audio Interface via Monster Cable. I turned the little switch on the back to "Mic" and everything seems to be in up and running order. When I hit record on Audacity I hear whatever it was that I recorded extremely softly in the background. In addition, there is a lot of "ssssh"ing and what I assume to be white noise. The recording itself plays back at an extremely low volume and the "sound waves" on my project are very thin. I have tried recording myself speaking, yelling, and singing. No matter what volume I speak/yell/sing in, the recording comes out extremely soft and hardly audible.

My operating system is Windows 7. I have already gone to Control Panel < Hardware and Sound < Sound < Recording and have disabled every other microphone except for the USB Audio Codec, which I set as my default device. In the Properties I have also made the level 100.

What should I do and is there any way that I can fix this problem? I know that my voice is being recorded from somewhere since I hear it being played back. But it's just way too soft and has a lot of hissing and "sssh"ing.