Quantcast

BPM

Stacey Scorer
As a new user the main thing I want to do is find out how many BPM an imported song has  so I can change the tempo to fit either 54, 83 or 97 BPM which is the tempo for each gait of my horse.  Anyone able to run me through a sequence?  Cheers  Horserider

Find your ideal job with SEEK Time for change?

Re: BPM

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 12:12:56 +0000
Stacey Scorer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> As a new user the main thing I want to do is find out how many
> BPM an imported song has  so I can change the tempo to fit either
> 54, 83 or 97 BPM which is the tempo for each gait of my horse.

Audacity itself cannot yet detect the BPM of a track.

You can make a calculation thus, detecting the beat by ear. Most pop
music has a 4/4 time signature, so put the cursor in Audacity at a
strong beat and select an area of track containing four quarter-note
(crotchet) pulses (that is, an area up to the next strong beat). Note
the length of the selected area in seconds as given in the Status Bar
in Audacity 1.2.x (Selection Bar in 1.3.x), and divide it into 240.

For example, if you find the four beats take 2 seconds, 240/2 =
120 BPM. If you have a 3/4 track like a waltz, divide the length
into 180.

Alternatives: This browser-based tool allows you, while playing your
track, to tap any computer key to the the beat and the BPM will be
displayed:
http://www.all8.com/tools/bpm.htm

It is an embedded Javascript application so does not actually need an
internet connection to run, once loaded. You could save it as an HTML
document and run it offline.

There is a free Windows-only program called Mixmeister free BPM
analyser:
http://dl4.mixmeister.com/012/bpmanlyz.exe

It's a standalone program, so you have to drag pre-existing audio files into
it (it supports MP3, WAV and WMA). Its help file is here:
http://www.mixmeister.com/support_help_bpm1.html

There are other BPM detection programs listed here (either standalone
BPM tools, other applications or BPM plug-ins for other applications):
http://www.mmartins.com/mmartins/bpmdetection/bpmdetection.asp

Once you know the BPM of a particular track, you can use Effect > Change
Tempo and enter the current BPM in the "BPM From" box, and the BPM you
want to change it to (54, 83 or 97) in the "BPM To" box.

Re: BPM

Bob van der Poel

> Alternatives: This browser-based tool allows you, while playing your
> track, to tap any computer key to the the beat and the BPM will be
> displayed:
> http://www.all8.com/tools/bpm.htm

I wrote a little tool I use all the time to determine BPM. It's written
in python with tkinter and should work on most platforms (tested only on
linux): http://mellowood.ca/countbeats/index.html

Plus: it is very small and doesn't rely on any external connections:

Minus: you need to listen to the music and tap out the beat :)

--
  **** Listen to my CD at http://www.mellowood.ca/music/cedars ****
EMAIL: [hidden email]

Re: BPM

Vaughan Johnson
[hidden email] wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 12:12:56 +0000
> Stacey Scorer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> As a new user the main thing I want to do is find out how many
>> BPM an imported song has  so I can change the tempo to fit either
>> 54, 83 or 97 BPM which is the tempo for each gait of my horse.
>>

> Audacity itself cannot yet detect the BPM of a track.
>
> You can make a calculation thus, detecting the beat by ear.

There's also Analyze menu > Beat Finder that you could use to find the
beats automatically rather than by ear, but it works well only for very
pronounced beats without much else going on.

- Vaughan