Basques and Dutch translations.

James Crook
Osoitz, Azpidatziak and Thomas,

Thanks for the updated translations.  These are now checked into Git
HEAD, ready for Audacity 2.2.0 test build.

Osoitz, your Basque (Spanish) translation is entered as eu_ES.po

Re: Basques and Dutch translations.

Osoitz E
Hello James,

Osoitz, your Basque (Spanish) translation is entered as eu_ES.po

While we accept a compromise solution regarding ISO codes, you gave us no other choice, please don't distribute it under the name "Basque (Spanish)", it is not an appropriate name for the collective translation to Basque I sent you, and less so to distinguish it from Xabier Aramendi's translation.

The Basque language was standardized beginning in the 1960s by Euskaltzaindia [1], this is the language used in dictionaries, press, school, university...

This is the language we used as can be checked with a dictionary (see second link), it's the same in the north and south. For natural dialects of Basque the codes eu_ES and eu_FR alone wouldn't be sufficient nor appropriate.

But we are not in front of dialectal differences, the reason why translators and educators signed the petition we recently sent you and later joined to finish and review a translation before the deadline, and the reason why Xabier Aramendi's language is different to the one used by the joint effort, is that Xabier Aramendi ignores conventions and makes up new words to replace words of Latin origin that have been in the language for centuries [2].

In Basque like in other languages, there are abundant words of Latin origin in science and in the context of a sound editor, Native Basque speakers miss essential parts of the information expressed in Aramendi's constructed language and there's no dictionary the users can check, none.

If you want to continue distributing the incorrect translation too, please distinguish them in the name by authorship to help users anticipate whether they'll get a translation to Basque: Basque (Librezale) / Basque (Xabier Aramendi).

Osoitz

Re: Basques and translations.

Azpidatziak

> > Osoitz, your Basque (Spanish) translation is entered as eu_ES.po
>

> This is the language we used as can be checked with a dictionary (see
> second link), it's the same in the north and south. For natural dialects of
> Basque the codes eu_ES and eu_FR alone wouldn't be sufficient nor
> appropriate.

For example Basque translation that Microsoft Windows distribuit in Spanish State,
and Spanish Basque Autonomus Region is with eu_es code, so language that this team use
is similar and fully basque spanish... and this guys work for spanish-basque govern, etc...

> Xabier Aramendi ignores conventions and makes up
> new words to replace words of Latin origin that have been in the language
> for centuries [2].

About my translation I don't invent any word or term, I don't need it.
I use Basque words that all basque speakers understand, I don't need copy
word to word other teams translations...

For me name isn't most important item, I have software translations
with eu_es code and with only eu code too.
The very important thing for me is the content of translations...
but this guys (librezale) only want destroy translation of other teams and persons...

--
Azpidatziak <[hidden email]>
https://sites.google.com/site/euskarazkosoftwareakeusxa/

Re: Basques and translations.

Osoitz E
> I don't invent any word or term

So why do the examples I give in the previous link appear only in your translations? No dictionary, no corpus, no press article, no book, no blog post, only your translations?

Osoitz

> > Osoitz, your Basque (Spanish) translation is entered as eu_ES.po
>

> This is the language we used as can be checked with a dictionary (see
> second link), it's the same in the north and south. For natural dialects of
> Basque the codes eu_ES and eu_FR alone wouldn't be sufficient nor
> appropriate.

For example Basque translation that Microsoft Windows distribuit in Spanish State,
and Spanish Basque Autonomus Region is with eu_es code, so language that this team use
is similar and fully basque spanish... and this guys work for spanish-basque govern, etc...

> Xabier Aramendi ignores conventions and makes up
> new words to replace words of Latin origin that have been in the language
> for centuries [2].

About my translation I don't invent any word or term, I don't need it.
I use Basque words that all basque speakers understand, I don't need copy
word to word other teams translations...

For me name isn't most important item, I have software translations
with eu_es code and with only eu code too.
The very important thing for me is the content of translations...
but this guys (librezale) only want destroy translation of other teams and persons...

--
Azpidatziak <[hidden email]>
https://sites.google.com/site/euskarazkosoftwareakeusxa/
https://sites.google.com/site/euskarazkoazpidatziak2017/

Re: Basque translations (was: Basques and Dutch translations)

Osoitz,

Xabier's translations long predate yours.  For Audacity 2.2.0 my
intention is that we distribute both eu_ES.po and eu.po.  Basque
speakers can then choose which translation they prefer.  Probably only
by trying the translations out will they find which one they personally
prefer.

--James.

On 7/29/2017 8:08 PM, Osoitz E wrote:

> Hello James,
>
>> Osoitz, your Basque (Spanish) translation is entered as eu_ES.po
> While we accept a compromise solution regarding ISO codes, you gave us no
> other choice, please don't distribute it under the name "Basque (Spanish)",
> it is not an appropriate name for the collective translation to Basque I
> sent you, and less so to distinguish it from Xabier Aramendi's translation.
>
> The Basque language was standardized beginning in the 1960s by
> Euskaltzaindia [1], this is the language used in dictionaries, press,
> school, university...
>
> This is the language we used as can be checked with a dictionary (see
> second link), it's the same in the north and south. For natural dialects of
> Basque the codes eu_ES and eu_FR alone wouldn't be sufficient nor
> appropriate.
>
> But we are not in front of dialectal differences, the reason why
> translators and educators signed the petition we recently sent you and
> later joined to finish and review a translation before the deadline, and
> the reason why Xabier Aramendi's language is different to the one used by
> the joint effort, is that Xabier Aramendi ignores conventions and makes up
> new words to replace words of Latin origin that have been in the language
> for centuries [2].
>
> In Basque like in other languages, there are abundant words of Latin origin
> in science and in the context of a sound editor, Native Basque speakers
> miss essential parts of the information expressed in Aramendi's constructed
> language and there's no dictionary the users can check, none.
>
> If you want to continue distributing the incorrect translation too, please
> distinguish them in the name by authorship to help users anticipate whether
> they'll get a translation to Basque: Basque (Librezale) / Basque (Xabier
> Aramendi).
>
> Osoitz
>

> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basque_language
> [2] https://librezale.eus/wiki/Audacity

Re: Basque translations (was: Basques and Dutch translations)

Osoitz E
> Xabier's translations long predate yours.

And ours is based on a translation that predates Xabier Aramendi.

Before we take any definitive decision I'd appreciate if we waited to hear what Xabier Aramendi has to say about whether he invents words.

Thank you,

Osoitz