Browser

Maria Fowler
I have been using audacity recently to do a little editing. Each time I use the application it turns off the audio in my browsers. Here is what happens:

I use audacity
I close audacity
I open a browser (any browser, firefox, saffari, camio, netscape)
I play a video on a website and the video plays but not the audio

The rest of the audio on my computer is unaffected. I can play a QT file on my hard drive, I can listen to I-tunes, I can hear the alert sounds etc.... Just my browsers are affected.

I have been able to power down, wait a few minutes and power back up to reset the browsers but yesterday this trick did not work and now I don’t have any audio playback on any of my browsers. Any ideas?

--
Maria Fowler
Multimedia Journalist

Re: Browser

audacity-help mailing list

    | From Maria Fowler
    | Thu, 19 Jul 2007 05:03:03 -0700 (PDT)
    | Subject: [Audacity-help] Browser
    | I have been using audacity recently to do a little editing. Each
    | time I use the application it turns off the audio in my browsers.
    |  Here is what happens:
    | I use audacity
    | I close audacity
    | I open a browser (any browser, firefox, saffari, camino, netscape)
    | I play a video on a website and the video plays but not the audio
    | The rest of the audio on my computer is unaffected. I can play a QT
    | file on my hard drive, I can listen to I-tunes, I can hear the alert sounds
    |  etc.... Just my browsers are affected.
    | I have been able to power down, wait a few minutes and power back up
    |  to reset the browsers but yesterday this trick did not work and now
    |  I dont have any audio playback on any of my browsers. Any ideas?

I imagine you are on the OS X operating system from what you have said.
Please make sure you are using a current version of Audacity - either 1.2.5
if you are on Intel Mac or 1.2.6 if you are on a Power PC. You can get them
here:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/mac

Your problem is most likely caused by the way OS X handles audio device setup.
Most sound hardware can be used in a number of different quality settings
depending on what is being played / recorded. Unlike other operating systems,
in OS X this setup is global and applies to all the applications that use the
device, rather than being requested by the program when it starts up.

Audacity tries to select the best quality settings your system is capable of, to
give the best recordings possible. It therefore sometimes changes your sound
device settings when it is started. Unfortunately many other OS X programs do
not check what settings are currently applied when they are started, and
assume default (sub-optimal) settings are in force. If the settings aren't what
they expect, they are incapable of changing the system settings to their needs,
or even throwing an error indicating this is the problem. Instead they crash or
produce no sound.

Once you have either Audacity 1.2.6 for Power PCs or 1.2.5 for Intel, do the
following. If you have a previous installation of Audacity, drag the entire
contents to the trash.  Then open Audacity and on the Quality tab of
Preferences, set Default Sample Rate to 44 100 Hz or 48 000 Hz and the
Default Sample Format to 16 bit. Then go to the Audio I/O tab of Preferences
and choose to record in mono or stereo in "recording channels" and enable the
option:

"Do not modify audio device settings (such as sample rate)".

Double-check the Project Rate button bottom left of Audacity is at the same
value as the Default Sample Rate setting you just made.

Close Audacity then click on the Mac hard disk and then on Applications >
Utilities > Audio-MIDI Setup. Select your inbuilt sound as the default input and
default output, then on both the input and output sides, change the "Format"
dropdown boxes to have the same settings as Audacity (e.g. 44 100 Hz,
2ch-16 bit or 48 000 Hz, 1ch-16 bit). The "1ch" or "2-ch" refers to mono or
stereo respectively. This will restore your sound and should prevent further
conflicts. Audio-MIDI Setup is available on OSX 10.2 or later. If you are on an
earlier version of OS X, go to Apple Menu > System Preferences > Sound and
perform the same changes.

Gale Andrews

Outbound message virus free.
Tested on: 7/19/2007 6:21:47 PM

Re: Browser

Richard
Thank you, Gale!
My browser sound is restored now, using your instructions. I was going nuts deleting plists and would never have figured this out myself. G5 PPC, OS X 10.4