Bug1183, Spectrogram settings

Paul Licameli
Commit 4a4fa8d97c5913e121c509d849c91e86badfa108 limits the height of Preferences and Spectrogram Settings dialogs to not more than the display height, and may add a vertical scrollbar.

The original complaint was for Linux systems.  I need one of our Linux developers to verifty the fix.

Should a manual image be updated, just becuase of the sometimes showing scrollbar?  Maybe not.

Re: Bug1183, Spectrogram settings

Stevethefiddle
On 25 July 2017 at 02:22, Paul Licameli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Commit 4a4fa8d97c5913e121c509d849c91e86badfa108 limits the height of
> Preferences and Spectrogram Settings dialogs to not more than the display
> height, and may add a vertical scrollbar.
>
> The original complaint was for Linux systems.  I need one of our Linux
> developers to verifty the fix.

The spectrogram settings dialog now shows a scrollbar by default on my
machine. Previously "Enable Spectral Selection" was completely hidden
and you wouldn't have known it was there from just looking, so this is
now much better.

There is a strange glitch in the Track menu version (but not the main
"Preferences" version):

1) Open the Track Spectrogram settings
2) Scroll down to "Zero Padding".
3) Click on the Zero Padding control (does not matter if you select a
different setting or the same)
4) On releasing the mouse button, the window scroll back up to the
top, so you can't see what you have just set or if it is set as you
intended.

This is probably only "P4" as the user can quite obviously scroll back
down again to check that the setting is as they intend (but still an
inconvenience / annoyance that shouldn't happen).

The second issue is that I, as I expect many other mouse user do,
frequently use the mouse wheel to scroll screens up/down. In this case
I have to be careful to position the mouse pointer over scroll bar and
not over the window itself. If the mouse pointer is over the window
while scrolling, as soon as the "Algorithm" control slides under the
pointer, the page stops scrolling and the Algorithm setting changes.
This caught me out the first time that I tried it, and confused me
initially because I was looking for the "Zero Padding" control, which
was now greyed out.

Currently, most of the Spectrogram controls do not show what their
default settings are. We could mitigate the possible confusion from
issue 2 (above) by marking the default options, but the user still
needs to notice that they have changed a setting without intending to
do so. We shouldn't forget that while spectrogram track view can be
very useful, even for relatively 'novice' users, the settings are
complicated and many users will become very confused if they
accidentally change default settings without realising that they have
done so (which is now very easy to do).

Perhaps a better solution to the original problem is to just make the
window a bit bigger when there is room and need to do so.

Steve