Building out of the box

dmazzoni
I spend some time with both branches of Audacity today, and checked in
some changes, most to help it compile "out of the box".  A couple were
minor changes related to wx 2.6 incompatibility; the major change was
that the following four libraries now have AM_MAINTAINER_MODE in their
configuration scripts:

   soundtouch
   libsndfile
   libmad
   libid3tag

I had tried to do this before but had trouble, but I finally figured out
how to make this work.  What this means is that unless you explicitly
tell it to, running "make" will NEVER trigger re-running configure, and
running configure or make will NEVER trigger running aclocal, automake,
or any other autotools.  Those all tend to cause problems for users who
don't have the right versions of autotools installed, and they're
triggered way too often when checking out Audacity over CVS.

I also upgraded libmad from 0.14.2b to 0.15.1 (both branches), and I
addressed (in CVS HEAD only) the recent bug in Bugzilla that not all
encoding formats are supported by "Import Raw" (now the ones not
supported are no longer displayed).

- Dominic

Re: Building out of the box

Richard Ash (audacity-help)
Dominic Mazzoni said:
> I spend some time with both branches of Audacity today, and checked in
> some changes, most to help it compile "out of the box".
Thanks - there have been some very odd things going on with CVS checkouts
recently, I've had to mess around in lib-src to get make to run on several
occations.

I'll do another clean checkout as see where we're at.

Do we support building under cygwin? I've been trying and had to hack at
libsndfile to make it work (ironicly, it was a bit of code inside #ifdef
__CYGWIN__ that caused the error, so I took it out and it works now. Not
sure why that should happen.

> and I addressed (in CVS HEAD only) the recent bug in Bugzilla that not
> all encoding formats are supported by "Import Raw" (now the ones not
> supported are no longer displayed).
Good - I was puzzled what was going on there. I hate to think what
headerless ADPCM data would look like!

Richard

Re: Building out of the box

Martyn Shaw
Dominic

For what it's worth, I did an update on HEAD and libmad would not compile.  A diff on layer3.c with a previous version had (amongst other things)
23,27c23
< #  ifdef WIN32
< #   include "configwin32.h"
< #  else
< #   include "config.h"
< #  endif
---
> #  include "config.h"
so I put it back how it was and that seemed to work.  I had to do the same in decoder.c in order not to #define HAVE_SYS_WAIT_H 1, which is in config.h.  The library now compiles for me but I don't know if this was an accidental omission or something more subtle.

HTH
Martyn

In a message dated 12/09/2005 08:37:19 GMT Standard Time, [hidden email] writes:
[...]

Martyn,

Thanks for testing it.

configwin.h is deprecated, I forgot to remove it from CVS but just
did now.  I also removed config.h, it wasn't supposed to be checked
in.  Please change back layer3.c and decoder.c, and instead put the
new msvc++ directory into the include path.

Now, on any Unix system (including Cygwin), config.h is automatically
generated from config.h.in with the proper settings.

On Windows, msvc++ will be in the include path, so it uses a
pregenerated config.h designed for Windows.  Any Windows-specific
changes should go there.

- Dominic

On Sep 12, 2005, at 3:50 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Dominic
>
> For what it's worth, I did an update on HEAD and libmad would not
> compile.  A diff on layer3.c with a previous version had (amongst
> other things)
> 23,27c23
> < #  ifdef WIN32
> < #   include "configwin32.h"
> < #  else
> < #   include "config.h"
> < #  endif
> ---
> > #  include "config.h"
> so I put it back how it was and that seemed to work.  I had to do
> the same in decoder.c in order not to #define HAVE_SYS_WAIT_H 1,
> which is in config.h.  The library now compiles for me but I don't
> know if this was an accidental omission or something more subtle.
>
> HTH
> Martyn

> [hidden email] writes:
> I spend some time with both branches of Audacity today, and checked in
> some changes, most to help it compile "out of the box".  A couple were
> minor changes related to wx 2.6 incompatibility; the major change was
> that the following four libraries now have AM_MAINTAINER_MODE in their
> configuration scripts:
>
>    soundtouch
>    libsndfile
>    libmad
>    libid3tag
>
> I had tried to do this before but had trouble, but I finally
> figured out
> how to make this work.  What this means is that unless you explicitly
> tell it to, running "make" will NEVER trigger re-running configure,
> and
> running configure or make will NEVER trigger running aclocal,
> automake,
> or any other autotools.  Those all tend to cause problems for users
> who
> don't have the right versions of autotools installed, and they're
> triggered way too often when checking out Audacity over CVS.
>
> I also upgraded libmad from 0.14.2b to 0.15.1 (both branches), and I
> addressed (in CVS HEAD only) the recent bug in Bugzilla that not all
> encoding formats are supported by "Import Raw" (now the ones not
> supported are no longer displayed).
>
> - Dominic

> Practices
> Agile & Plan-Driven Development * Managing Projects & Teams *
> Testing & QA
> Security * Process Improvement & Measurement * http://www.sqe.com/
> bsce5sf

Re: Building out of the box

Martyn Shaw
Dominic

I did as you suggested and it worked fine.  Is configwin32.h supposed to be there?

Martyn

In a message dated 13/09/2005 08:06:33 GMT Standard Time, [hidden email] writes:
> [...]

> tell it to, running "make" will NEVER trigger re-running configure,
> and
> running configure or make will NEVER trigger running aclocal,
> automake,
> or any other autotools.  Those all tend to cause problems for users
> who
> don't have the right versions of autotools installed, and they're
> triggered way too often when checking out Audacity over CVS.
>
> I also upgraded libmad from 0.14.2b to 0.15.1 (both branches), and I
> addressed (in CVS HEAD only) the recent bug in Bugzilla that not all
> encoding formats are supported by "Import Raw" (now the ones not
> supported are no longer displayed).
>
> - Dominic

> Practices
> Agile & Plan-Driven Development * Managing Projects & Teams *

Re: Building out of the box

dmazzoni
Martyn,

On Sep 13, 2005, at 3:56 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> Dominic
>
> I did as you suggested and it worked fine.

Great!

> Is configwin32.h supposed to be there?

Nope, thanks for catching that.  I removed that from CVS too.

- Dominic

> [...]
> > who
> > don't have the right versions of autotools installed, and they're
> > triggered way too often when checking out Audacity over CVS.
> >
> > I also upgraded libmad from 0.14.2b to 0.15.1 (both branches), and I
> > addressed (in CVS HEAD only) the recent bug in Bugzilla that not all
> > encoding formats are supported by "Import Raw" (now the ones not
> > supported are no longer displayed).
> >
> > - Dominic

> > September 19-22, 2005 * San Francisco, CA * Development Lifecycle
> > Practices
> > Agile & Plan-Driven Development * Managing Projects & Teams *
> > Testing & QA
> > Security * Process Improvement & Measurement * http://www.sqe.com/
> > bsce5sf

> Practices
> Agile & Plan-Driven Development * Managing Projects & Teams *

Re: Building out of the box

Vaughan Johnson
Administrator
Some of this work has broken the build for MSVC for me. I haven't been
following it too closely, but maybe it's related to Richard's question
about Cygwin, which I think is what Martyn's using (?). For example,
these files try to include a "config.h" and don't find it:

libid3tag's "version.c"
libmad's "timer.c"
libmad's "synth.c"
etc.

Is AM_MAINTAINER_MODE just a compiler flag that needs to be set. Where?

Or is this a matter of fixing the include paths? libmad has a "config.h"
in the project...

Thanks,
Vaughan

Dominic Mazzoni wrote:

> [...]
>> >    libid3tag
>> >
>> > I had tried to do this before but had trouble, but I finally
>> > figured out
>> > how to make this work.  What this means is that unless you  explicitly
>> > tell it to, running "make" will NEVER trigger re-running configure,
>> > and
>> > running configure or make will NEVER trigger running aclocal,
>> > automake,
>> > or any other autotools.  Those all tend to cause problems for users
>> > who
>> > don't have the right versions of autotools installed, and they're
>> > triggered way too often when checking out Audacity over CVS.
>> >
>> > I also upgraded libmad from 0.14.2b to 0.15.1 (both branches), and I
>> > addressed (in CVS HEAD only) the recent bug in Bugzilla that not all
>> > encoding formats are supported by "Import Raw" (now the ones not

Re: Building out of the box

dmazzoni
Vaughan,

For libmad, there's a new directory "msvc++", with a Windows (MSVC)
specific config.h file in it.  If you add that to the include path in
the project, it should compile fine.

I did not intentionally make any such changes to libid3tag; I changed
the Unix build system but did not upgrade the version.

AM_MAINTAINER_MODE only affects the Unix Makefiles; it shouldn't
affect Windows at all.

- Dominic

On Sep 15, 2005, at 3:44 PM, Vaughan Johnson wrote:

> Some of this work has broken the build for MSVC for me. I haven't
> been following it too closely, but maybe it's related to Richard's
> question about Cygwin, which I think is what Martyn's using (?).
> For example, these files try to include a "config.h" and don't find
> it:
>
> libid3tag's "version.c"
> libmad's "timer.c"
> libmad's "synth.c"
> etc.
>
> Is AM_MAINTAINER_MODE just a compiler flag that needs to be set.
> Where?
>
> Or is this a matter of fixing the include paths? libmad has a
> "config.h" in the project...
>
> Thanks,
> Vaughan
>

> Dominic Mazzoni wrote:
>

>> Martyn,
>>
>> On Sep 13, 2005, at 3:56 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>>

>>> Dominic
>>>
>>> I did as you suggested and it worked fine.
>>>

>> Great!
>>

>>> Is configwin32.h supposed to be there?
>>>

>> Nope, thanks for catching that.  I removed that from CVS too.
>>
>> - Dominic
>>

>>> Martyn
>>>
>>> In a message dated 13/09/2005 08:06:33 GMT Standard Time,
>>> [hidden email] writes:
>>> Martyn,
>>>
>>> Thanks for testing it.
>>>
>>> configwin.h is deprecated, I forgot to remove it from CVS but just
>>> did now.  I also removed config.h, it wasn't supposed to be checked
>>> in.  Please change back layer3.c and decoder.c, and instead put the
>>> new msvc++ directory into the include path.
>>>
>>> Now, on any Unix system (including Cygwin), config.h is
>>> automatically
>>> generated from config.h.in with the proper settings.
>>>
>>> On Windows, msvc++ will be in the include path, so it uses a
>>> pregenerated config.h designed for Windows.  Any Windows-specific
>>> changes should go there.
>>>
>>> - Dominic

>>> checked in
>>> couple  were
>>> change  was
>>> in  their

>>> explicitly
>>> configure,
>>> users

>>> and I
>>> not all

Re: Building out of the box

Richard Ash (audacity-help)
The problems I've been hitting are:
* libvorbis looks for installed libogg - so you need libogg installed to
run configure through lib-src. There is a cygwin package so this isn't a
big issue, and won't affect the final tarball.
* libsndfile wouldn't compile due to an unnecssarry _CYGWIN_ condition
* portaudio v18 has C++ style comments in a C file, which GCC gives an
error on
* lots of things in libnyquist (see below)
* I get link errors if id3tag or libnyquist are enabled at build time.
Without them it works.

Richard

Re: Building out of the box

Dave Fancella
On Friday 16 September 2005 02:17 am, Richard Ash wrote:
> The problems I've been hitting are:
> * libvorbis looks for installed libogg - so you need libogg installed to
> run configure through lib-src. There is a cygwin package so this isn't a
> big issue, and won't affect the final tarball.

That's always been the case in cygwin.  It was a pain, but I never did find a
good workaround besides installing libogg before trying to do audacity.

> * libsndfile wouldn't compile due to an unnecssarry _CYGWIN_ condition
> * portaudio v18 has C++ style comments in a C file, which GCC gives an
> error on

It used to build just fine.  I'll bet it's a GCC-version thing, and you could
probably set a compiler flag to make it accept the comment style.

> * lots of things in libnyquist (see below)

Nyquist and id3tag never worked in Cygwin.  Nyquist uses some code that has
trouble, maybe it's not standard-compliant or whatever, I don't know.  But
neither of them ever worked, so you're breaking new ground here if you get
them to work.

Dave

> * I get link errors if id3tag or libnyquist are enabled at build time.
> Without them it works.
>
> Richard

Re: Building out of the box

Richard Ash (audacity-help)
On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 03:00 -0500, Dave Fancella wrote:
> > * libsndfile wouldn't compile due to an unnecssarry _CYGWIN_ condition
> > * portaudio v18 has C++ style comments in a C file, which GCC gives an
> > error on
>
> It used to build just fine.  I'll bet it's a GCC-version thing, and you could
> probably set a compiler flag to make it accept the comment style.
I was surprised by this. I think it's to do with it using cc to do the
compilation as opposed to gcc, although I don't see why that should be
different on cygwin to windows. Maybe I ought to try with GCC 3.4 on
linux as well.

> > * lots of things in libnyquist (see below)
>
> Nyquist and id3tag never worked in Cygwin.  Nyquist uses some code that has
> trouble, maybe it's not standard-compliant or whatever, I don't know.  But
> neither of them ever worked, so you're breaking new ground here if you get
> them to work.
I got libnyquist to compile with a fair amount of hacking (mostly
because it doesn't have a normal configure system), and id3tag itself
went first time, it was just the linking that failed.

There was also a line of code in libsndfile surrounded by #ifdef
_CYGWIN_ that failed. I took it out and it worked, so I'll post the
patch on Monday (the next time I see the windows machine).

Richard

Re: Building out of the box

Vaughan Johnson
Thanks, all good & I've checked in the updated MSVC project files.

-Vaughan