Quantcast

Can't hear playback

Paul-263
I have version 1.2.6.

I have set all the Audacity preferences properly for recording and playback. The microphone is the default recording device in Windows.  The speakers play other audio files.

The VU meters show microphone and playback response, but there is no sound on playback.

Re: Can't hear playback

audacity-help mailing list

    | From Paul
    | Fri, 31 Aug 2007 10:06:25 -0500
    | Subject: [Audacity-help] Can't hear playback
    | I have version 1.2.6.
    | I have set all the Audacity preferences properly for recording and
    |  playback. The microphone is the default recording device in Windows.
    | The speakers play other audio files.
    | The VU meters show microphone and playback response, but there is no
    | sound on playback.

If you mean you cannot hear playback in Audacity, set the "Playback Device"
on the Audio I/O tab of Audacity Preferences explicitly to the sound device
you have your speakers or headphones plugged into. Make sure you are
actually recording a blue waveform with peaks and troughs on the Audacity
screen by explicitly choosing the device you are plugging your microphone
into in the "Recording Device" dropdown on the same tab. Don't choose
Microsoft Sound Mapper in either case.

On the Mixer Toolbar:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/onlinehelp-1.2/toolbar_mixer.htm

turn up both the left-hand output volume slider (by the speaker symbol)
and the right-hand input volume slider (by the microphone symbol).  In the
dropdown to right of that, choose "microphone" (or if you are on Vista,
choose microphone along with the recording device on the Audio I/O tab of
Preferences).

In the playback panel in the Windows system mixer, make sure that the WAV
slider is turned up and that the mute box is not checked.

If you have any further questions, please tell us what version of Windows you
are running (e.g. XP, Vista).

Gale Andrews

Outbound message virus free.
Tested on: 8/31/2007 6:13:17 PM