'Check Online' with linux versions of Audacity built from tarball.

'Check Online' with linux versions of Audacity built from tarball.

James Crook
Currently the check-for-updates check-online message for linux versions
of audacity will not be passing a GitIdent, because the user will not
have specified one when compiling.

The message currently reads:

> You are using an old or unofficial version of Audacity 2.1.3
> This version was never officially released, and is not suitable for
> production use.
e.g with
http://www.audacityteam.org/download/?from_ver=2.1.3&Time=Mar8201714:01:58

IF we modify the wordpress script to check

"from_ver=2.1.3&Time"

We can say in that case:

> You are using a version of Audacity 2.1.3 that was not compiled by
> audacityteam.org

That is probably all we can say.

Re: 'Check Online' with linux versions of Audacity built from tarball.

James Crook
This is fixed now.

jc13 versions will now show as jc13s.
Audacity 2.1.3 built from tarball will now say it was not compiled by
audacityteam.org.

Assuming jc13 becomes RC3 I will update the message then.  If that then
becomes the release, I will update the message a second time.

--James.

On 8 March 2017 at 15:31, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Currently the check-for-updates check-online message for linux versions
> of audacity will not be passing a GitIdent, because the user will not
> have specified one when compiling.
>
> The message currently reads:
>
>> You are using an old or unofficial version of Audacity 2.1.3
>> This version was never officially released, and is not suitable for
>> production use.
> e.g with
> http://www.audacityteam.org/download/?from_ver=2.1.3&Time=Mar8201714:01:58
>
> IF we modify the wordpress script to check
>
> "from_ver=2.1.3&Time"
>
> We can say in that case:
>
>> You are using a version of Audacity 2.1.3 that was not compiled by
>> audacityteam.org
>
> That is probably all we can say.
>
> --James.

I think that is better than the current message.