Classic/Light/Dark themes

Peter Sampson-2
Following my recent early -doors testing of James' ne switchable themes, I can
confirm that I now believe that with audacity-win-r3651d0a-2.2.0-alpha-07-apr-17
on W10 all this isssues I raided in previous emails this week have been
resolved.

James wrote to me offlist after his last iteration:
>Classic is now very very like the original.
>Switching seems to be working well.
>Sliders are almost the same as before.
>Buttons change colour depending on whether track is selected or not.
>The theme choice is now a drop-down.
>Scrubbing ruler is now a distinct colour from the timeline
>Light theme somewhat improved.

I tested against all those criteria and indeed that seems to be the case.

In particular I am satisfied that "Classic" now looks as much like 2.1.3 as possible.

I don't plan to do any further particular testing of "themes" right now - to me it appears
workable,stable and sound.   And I like our ability to give non-technical users a choice
of theme.

I think this is a really great piece of work, it helps to demonstrate that Audacity is not
going stae and ossifyig - and I'm pretty sure that many of our users will think so too when
this eventually hits the streets.

So, a big hand to James for this <applause & cheering>

Re: Classic/Light/Dark themes

Stevethefiddle
Classic theme still looks very different to 2.1.3 on my Linux machine.
Screenshots here: http://alturl.com/v8guq

Steve

On 7 April 2017 at 15:14, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Following my recent early -doors testing of James' ne switchable themes, I
> can
> confirm that I now believe that with
> audacity-win-r3651d0a-2.2.0-alpha-07-apr-17
> on W10 all this isssues I raided in previous emails this week have been
> resolved.
>
> James wrote to me offlist after his last iteration:
>>Classic is now very very like the original.
>>Switching seems to be working well.
>>Sliders are almost the same as before.
>>Buttons change colour depending on whether track is selected or not.
>>The theme choice is now a drop-down.
>>Scrubbing ruler is now a distinct colour from the timeline
>>Light theme somewhat improved.
>
> I tested against all those criteria and indeed that seems to be the case.
>
> In particular I am satisfied that "Classic" now looks as much like 2.1.3 as
> possible.
>
> I don't plan to do any further particular testing of "themes" right now - to
> me it appears
> workable,stable and sound.   And I like our ability to give non-technical
> users a choice
> of theme.
>
> I think this is a really great piece of work, it helps to demonstrate that
> Audacity is not
> going stae and ossifyig - and I'm pretty sure that many of our users will
> think so too when
> this eventually hits the streets.
>
> So, a big hand to James for this <applause & cheering>
>
> Peter

Re: Classic/Light/Dark themes

Peter Sampson-2
I can't currently test on Mac Sierra as we have not had a nightly build
since 31st March.

On 4/7/2017 5:12 PM, Steve the Fiddle wrote:
> Classic theme still looks very different to 2.1.3 on my Linux machine.
> Screenshots here: http://alturl.com/v8guq
>
> Steve

Theming is using 'absolute colours' rather than making some adjustment
relative to the 'standard' colours of the theme used by the platform.
Also I am not tinting selected track info panel slightly purplish.

Audacity 2.1.3 IS darker on linux than it is on Windows.

I will do that track info tinting in due course - just not tonight.
Using relative colours is a bit more work.  The screenshots help as they
show the kind of change I need to make.