Clearing clip and indicator in Mixerboard

Clearing clip and indicator in Mixerboard

Stevethefiddle
On the main playback meter, the clip indicator can be cleared by
clicking on it. How do you clear the clip indicator in the Mixerboard?

Re: Clearing clip and indicator in Mixerboard

It does not seem to be on Bugzilla so perhaps it should be
added? What behaviour do we want? Clicking on either the
Mixer Board meter or main meter clears the clip marking in
both?

Gale

On 23 January 2017 at 13:54, Steve the Fiddle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On the main playback meter, the clip indicator can be cleared by
> clicking on it. How do you clear the clip indicator in the Mixerboard?

Re: Clearing clip and indicator in Mixerboard

Stevethefiddle
I would have expected that clicking on the clip indicator in the
Mixerboard would have cleared / reset the clip indicator in the
Mixerboard. I don't think it is necessary for the clip indicator in
the main meter and the clip indicator in the Mixerboard to be linked -
I think it's probably better that they are not as the Mixerboard
meters are "per channel" whereas the main playback meter is for the
"mix".

In testing this, I'm seeing incorrect metering in the Mixerboard. When
there is negative gain by moving the Mixerboard channel slider down,
the meter shows the reduced level in the meter, but when the slider is
moved above 0 dB gain, the meter does not show the increased level.

Steve

On 23 January 2017 at 14:59, Steve the Fiddle <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I would have expected that clicking on the clip indicator in the
> Mixerboard would have cleared / reset the clip indicator in the
> Mixerboard. I don't think it is necessary for the clip indicator in
> the main meter and the clip indicator in the Mixerboard to be linked -
> I think it's probably better that they are not as the Mixerboard
> meters are "per channel" whereas the main playback meter is for the
> "mix".

OK.

> In testing this, I'm seeing incorrect metering in the Mixerboard. When
> there is negative gain by moving the Mixerboard channel slider down,
> the meter shows the reduced level in the meter, but when the slider is
> moved above 0 dB gain, the meter does not show the increased level.

I thought that was part of the design and that it's been like that for
years, e.g. 2.0.0, 2.0.6? The Mixer Board meter never shows more
than the actual data level of the channel, but can show less if the gain
is turned down in the project window or in Mixer Board.

Gale

On 23 January 2017 at 16:14, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 23 January 2017 at 14:59, Steve the Fiddle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I would have expected that clicking on the clip indicator in the
>> Mixerboard would have cleared / reset the clip indicator in the
>> Mixerboard. I don't think it is necessary for the clip indicator in
>> the main meter and the clip indicator in the Mixerboard to be linked -
>> I think it's probably better that they are not as the Mixerboard
>> meters are "per channel" whereas the main playback meter is for the
>> "mix".
>
> OK.
>
>> In testing this, I'm seeing incorrect metering in the Mixerboard. When
>> there is negative gain by moving the Mixerboard channel slider down,
>> the meter shows the reduced level in the meter, but when the slider is
>> moved above 0 dB gain, the meter does not show the increased level.
>
> I thought that was part of the design and that it's been like that for
> years, e.g. 2.0.0, 2.0.6? The Mixer Board meter never shows more
> than the actual data level of the channel, but can show less if the gain
> is turned down in the project window or in Mixer Board.

Yes it's been like this from at least 2.0, but it must surely be a bug
and not intended.

>> On 23 January 2017 at 14:31, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> It does not seem to be on Bugzilla so perhaps it should be
>>> added? What behaviour do we want? Clicking on either the
>>> Mixer Board meter or main meter clears the clip marking in
>>> both?
>>>

>>> Gale

Re: Clearing clip and indicator in Mixerboard

Robert Hänggi
I want to add that there isn't currently an easy way to reset the clip
indicator (play/record meter) for keyboard users.
I have to place the mouse cursor on the drop down menu, move 50 pixels
to the right and then click (for the standard layout that is).
I would think that the record meter at least should be cleared when
one changes the input volume.
At first I thought the previous peak should change by the amount the
volume has changed but this might not be reliable, I don't know.
For instance: the peak is -4 dB and you change the recording slider to
95 %, this should change the peak by 0.4455 dB.
However, I doubt that this is accurate from a hardware/driver
perspective, i.e. if the calculated peak is the same as if the slider
would really have been set like this.

In general (and only for recording) I would prefer that we had some
kind of hold and release clip indicator.
That is, the peak will stay in memory for let's say 5 seconds and
begins to decrease slowly after that period. Of course, a new peak
will be tracked if the maximum peak is exceeded.
IMHO this would facilitate the input gain adjustment, especially if
one turns the knob of the hardware mixer itself. For the Audacity
input gain, the above proposed linking and clearing would be
sufficient.
I can't tell much about the mixer board. I see the buttons and sliders
but they are only accessible with the mouse. Not really a problem
since we have workarounds. The only thing that is a bit confusing is
the peak meter (for individual tracks). It seems to have a drop down
menu like e.g. the play meter but I can't get it to work. No big deal
though.

Robert

On 23 January 2017 at 18:11, Robert Hänggi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I want to add that there isn't currently an easy way to reset the clip
> indicator (play/record meter) for keyboard users.

Is the clip indicator read out now, and is the spoken meter reading
updated while its button is selected? Or must you leave and go back
into it to get an update?

Would you want a new reset item in the dropdown menu for each
meter?

> I have to place the mouse cursor on the drop down menu, move 50 pixels
> to the right and then click (for the standard layout that is).
> I would think that the record meter at least should be cleared when
> one changes the input volume.
> At first I thought the previous peak should change by the amount the
> volume has changed but this might not be reliable, I don't know.
> For instance: the peak is -4 dB and you change the recording slider to
> 95 %, this should change the peak by 0.4455 dB.
> However, I doubt that this is accurate from a hardware/driver
> perspective, i.e. if the calculated peak is the same as if the slider
> would really have been set like this.
>
> In general (and only for recording) I would prefer that we had some
> kind of hold and release clip indicator.

I think I counted your vote for that as part of a big Forum discussion
we had about how to handle clipping in Meter Toolbar and Show
Clipping. I feel "hold and release" should be a preference, unless it's
an extra indicator.

Gale

> That is, the peak will stay in memory for let's say 5 seconds and
> begins to decrease slowly after that period. Of course, a new peak
> will be tracked if the maximum peak is exceeded.
> IMHO this would facilitate the input gain adjustment, especially if
> one turns the knob of the hardware mixer itself. For the Audacity
> input gain, the above proposed linking and clearing would be
> sufficient.
> I can't tell much about the mixer board. I see the buttons and sliders
> but they are only accessible with the mouse. Not really a problem
> since we have workarounds. The only thing that is a bit confusing is
> the peak meter (for individual tracks). It seems to have a drop down
> menu like e.g. the play meter but I can't get it to work. No big deal
> though.
>
> Robert

>> On 23 January 2017 at 16:14, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> OK.

>>> I thought that was part of the design and that it's been like that for
>>> years, e.g. 2.0.0, 2.0.6? The Mixer Board meter never shows more
>>> than the actual data level of the channel, but can show less if the gain
>>> is turned down in the project window or in Mixer Board.
>>
>> Yes it's been like this from at least 2.0, but it must surely be a bug
>> and not intended.
>>
>> Steve
>>

>>> Gale

Re: Clearing clip and indicator in Mixerboard

Robert Hänggi
> On 23 January 2017 at 18:11, Robert Hänggi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I want to add that there isn't currently an easy way to reset the clip
>> indicator (play/record meter) for keyboard users.
>
> Is the clip indicator read out now, and is the spoken meter reading
> updated while its button is selected? Or must you leave and go back
> into it to get an update?

It updates regularly, as far as I can tell. I read it out per python
and the peak is simply appended to the name of the drop down menu
object:
focus.name = u'Play Meter  Peak -5 dB'
If the screen reader allows dynamical updates (name change events),
there won't be a problem.
I read it per script because navigating to it is too cumbersome and
the full name is too long if one is only interested in the number.

> Would you want a new reset item in the dropdown menu for each
> meter?

I don't know, it seems to me that the current solution is somewhat a
hack (a value as name for a drop down menu).
The peak should actually be embedded on the panel where the metering
takes place, i.e. the area where you click to reset the indicator
should be focusable, bearing the peak level  and pressing enter would
clear it. This would also allow to add the other values--MP (what we
have already), CP, MR, and CR for the old style.
Of course, the current peak or RMS levels wouldn't be very useful for
reading out. However, a script could watch those values and optionally
produce an audible output, e.g. sine wave.

>> I have to place the mouse cursor on the drop down menu, move 50 pixels
>> to the right and then click (for the standard layout that is).
>> I would think that the record meter at least should be cleared when
>> one changes the input volume.
>> At first I thought the previous peak should change by the amount the
>> volume has changed but this might not be reliable, I don't know.
>> For instance: the peak is -4 dB and you change the recording slider to
>> 95 %, this should change the peak by 0.4455 dB.
>> However, I doubt that this is accurate from a hardware/driver
>> perspective, i.e. if the calculated peak is the same as if the slider
>> would really have been set like this.

Note to myself, I must test this.
Still, automatic clearing after  having changed the recording slider
or a gain slider (on playback) seems a reasonable idea.

>> In general (and only for recording) I would prefer that we had some
>> kind of hold and release clip indicator.
>
> I think I counted your vote for that as part of a big Forum discussion
> we had about how to handle clipping in Meter Toolbar and Show
> Clipping. I feel "hold and release" should be a preference, unless it's
> an extra indicator.

Perhaps a combo box (like the project rate) with different integration
values, infinite being the default.

Robert

> Gale
>

>> That is, the peak will stay in memory for let's say 5 seconds and
>> begins to decrease slowly after that period. Of course, a new peak
>> will be tracked if the maximum peak is exceeded.
>> IMHO this would facilitate the input gain adjustment, especially if
>> one turns the knob of the hardware mixer itself. For the Audacity
>> input gain, the above proposed linking and clearing would be
>> sufficient.
>> I can't tell much about the mixer board. I see the buttons and sliders
>> but they are only accessible with the mouse. Not really a problem
>> since we have workarounds. The only thing that is a bit confusing is
>> the peak meter (for individual tracks). It seems to have a drop down
>> menu like e.g. the play meter but I can't get it to work. No big deal
>> though.
>>
>> Robert

>>> Yes it's been like this from at least 2.0, but it must surely be a bug
>>> and not intended.
>>>
>>> Steve

Re: Clearing clip and indicator in Mixerboard

Stevethefiddle
The Mixerboard provides no additional functionality unless there are
more than two channels. When there are multiple tracks, the added
functionality is that it simultaneously shows (should show) the play
level of each channel. It also provides a more ergonomic arrangement
of track pan and track gain sliders for mouse users.

I don't imagine that this would translate well into audible output for
simultaneous monitoring of multiple tracks.

If we want a "beep" when a channel hits 0 dB, I think it would be
better to build that feature into the main interface (like an audio
version of "show clipping"), rather than requiring Mixerboard to be
open and have focus.

This is however moving away from the original issue.
Do we have consensus that clip indicators in the Mixerboard should be
clearable, per track, in the same way as the main mix meters (by

On 24 January 2017 at 05:40, Robert Hänggi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>

>>> That is, the peak will stay in memory for let's say 5 seconds and
>>> begins to decrease slowly after that period. Of course, a new peak
>>> will be tracked if the maximum peak is exceeded.
>>> IMHO this would facilitate the input gain adjustment, especially if
>>> one turns the knob of the hardware mixer itself. For the Audacity
>>> input gain, the above proposed linking and clearing would be
>>> sufficient.
>>> I can't tell much about the mixer board. I see the buttons and sliders
>>> but they are only accessible with the mouse. Not really a problem
>>> since we have workarounds. The only thing that is a bit confusing is
>>> the peak meter (for individual tracks). It seems to have a drop down
>>> menu like e.g. the play meter but I can't get it to work. No big deal
>>> though.
>>>
>>> Robert

Re: Clearing clip and indicator in Mixerboard

On 24 January 2017 at 11:13, Steve the Fiddle <[hidden email]> wrote:
<snip>
> Do we have consensus that clip indicators in the Mixerboard should be
> clearable, per track, in the same way as the main mix meters (by
> clicking on the clip indicator)?

+1.

Re: Clearing clip and indicator in Mixerboard

Peter Sampson-2
Gale voted:
>On 24 January 2017 at 11:13, Steve the Fiddle <[hidden email]> wrote:
><snip>
>> Do we have consensus that clip indicators in the Mixerboard should be
>> clearable, per track, in the same way as the main mix meters (by
>> clicking on the clip indicator)?
>
>+1.

And +1 from me

Re: Clearing clip and indicator in Mixerboard

Vaughan Johnson-4
+1.

My guess is that the clearability of the main was added after
MixerBoard feature, but not extended to MixerBoard.

- Vaughan