Quantcast

Code signing for XP

James Crook
Gale notes that the jc11 build does not show up as signed, when used on
Windows XP.

XP SP2 and earlier do not support SHA-256 certs, only SHA-1.  I am
signing SHA-256.
Additionally SHA-1 signed exes must be signed before Jan 1st 2016, as it
is a deprecated method.

I could investigate dual signing, and could request a SHA-1 cert for
legacy signing.  I don't think I'd have to pay extra for it, but as it
is past Jan 1st 2016 I don't think it is a good use of time and is
unlikely to work.

XP is no longer supported by Microsoft, and is insecure, so I don't see
the lack of signature checking of Audacity on XP as an issue.

Re: Code signing for XP

FWIW, I am on XP SP3 (32-bit), as I said. Current Audacity requires the
latest XP Service Pack, so SP3 for 32-bit and SP2 for 64-bit.

So if SP3 supports SHA-256 certificates, that does not seem to be the
issue.

Gale