Considerations for 2.1.4

Cliff Scott
Just some observations of some behavior IMHO that could be improved for 2.1.4. Some of these may already be part of existing bugs or enhancements requests, but I wanted to group them here as they really stand out to me as fairly easy, at least on the surface, things to make the interface easier to use and more polished for the user.

1. File/Open - Choose some directory other than Applications on the Mac as default. To me that is the least likely location of all to be looking for a file to open. Since we already default to /Documents for the Save & Export functions that seems to me to be a likely candidate.

2. In File/Open when the file type is Audacity Projects make the check for .aup only so only .aup files show up. It's so easy to click on a data directory accidentally and having both listed gives twice the number of files to look through to find the one you want.

3. Make the File/Open remember just the last File/Open directory, not just any directory that has been used to open anything. For instance if I have used the File/Open previously to open a project then import keyboard shortcuts in Preferences I don't want the next File/Open to open to the location of the keyboard shortcuts file, as it does now, but to the last remembered file location used to open a project or mp3 file etc.

4. Save the Tool Bar arrangement as it is being done, not just on Audacity close.
The above prevents:
a. A second window opening with the unarranged tool bar configuration even if the first window was arranged.
b. the case where the first window is arranged, the second is not and Audacity is quit. Then on reopening the tool bars being in the unarranged state.
c. Changes made at any point in the usage would be saved and in use for either the next window or the next opening of Audacity.

5. On Export Multiple have a persistent progress indicator.
- At present when exporting multiple files there is no progress bar and when there are enough files so the process is not nearly instant the user has no indication, unless they can tell the HD is working, that the export is working until the final window comes up with the list of files exported. Some time back the progress was seen by each file that was exported popping up a indicator that it had finished. I'm not saying that is a good way, which I think it is not. Just some simple progress indicator for the whole export process would reassure the user that things are going along normally and then show the one window listing the exported files at the end as it is now.
Note: When Preferences are set to show the Metadata before export then there is one progress indicator that pops up and finishes long before the export is finished. I'm not sure what that indicator is showing, maybe saving the metadata, but  in any case I don't see any indicator when not calling up the metadata window at all for each file.

Cliff

Re: Considerations for 2.1.4

Bill Wharrie
I second Cliff’s comments about the behaviour of Save/Open and Toolbars arrangement. I have a comment in line about Export Multiple.

> [...]
> Note: When Preferences are set to show the Metadata before export then there is one progress indicator that pops up and finishes long before the export is finished. I'm not sure what that indicator is showing, maybe saving the metadata, but  in any case I don't see any indicator when not calling up the metadata window at all for each file.

Turn off “Show Metadata editor before Export Step” (don’t know if this is required but this is how I work), then do an Export Multiple on a project with export selections of a few minutes or more (enough to trigger the progress dialog).
Watch carefully what is happening. For each file of the multiple export a progress dialog is put up with the name of the file as the title of the dialog. Once the first file has finished exporting, that dialog is removed and a new one is put up. Unfortunately this second dialog is _behind_ the Export Multiple dialog. Watch closely and you can see that the Export Multiple dialog is “dimmed”, then briefly un-dims then dims again as the next progress dialog is created behind the Export Multiple dialog. Move the Export Multiple dialog out of the way and you can then see the progress dialogs come and go.

This is a regression on 2.1.1 that showed up in 2.1.2.

— Bill

> Cliff

Re: Considerations for 2.1.4

Cliff Scott
> [...]
> Watch carefully what is happening. For each file of the multiple export a progress dialog is put up with the name of the file as the title of the dialog. Once the first file has finished exporting, that dialog is removed and a new one is put up. Unfortunately this second dialog is _behind_ the Export Multiple dialog. Watch closely and you can see that the Export Multiple dialog is “dimmed”, then briefly un-dims then dims again as the next progress dialog is created behind the Export Multiple dialog. Move the Export Multiple dialog out of the way and you can then see the progress dialogs come and go.
>
> This is a regression on 2.1.1 that showed up in 2.1.2.

Thanks for point that out, Bill. So it hasn't really changed from before, just can't see them now.

Cliff