Quantcast

Consistent greying of inapplicable buttons

Consistent greying of inapplicable buttons

I noted in resolving bug 470 that the "Move Up" and "Move Down"
buttons in Equalization's "Manage Curves" dialogue don't grey
out when the item can't move up or down any more. There is the
same "issue" in "Extended Import" Preferences.

In those Preferences, all buttons are enabled even when there
is nothing for them to do, such as moving a non-existent rule
up or down. And in Equalization itself, you can flatten a curve
that is already flat.

If we open a new issue I think it should be as general as possible.
Can we grey out Move Up/Move Down when the item cannot be
so moved, or should we let the item cycle through to the other
end of the list?  I think the latter might be more useful.

Is the "ROI" for graying out inapplicable buttons not worthwhile
in some cases?

Re: Consistent greying of inapplicable buttons

Stevethefiddle
Now that we have "manage presets and options" as a standard part of
built-in effects (does not currently work in Equalization effect),
that should be fixed and supersede the old "manage curves".

Steve

On 2 April 2017 at 19:08, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I noted in resolving bug 470 that the "Move Up" and "Move Down"
> buttons in Equalization's "Manage Curves" dialogue don't grey
> out when the item can't move up or down any more. There is the
> same "issue" in "Extended Import" Preferences.
>
> In those Preferences, all buttons are enabled even when there
> is nothing for them to do, such as moving a non-existent rule
> up or down. And in Equalization itself, you can flatten a curve
> that is already flat.
>
> If we open a new issue I think it should be as general as possible.
> Can we grey out Move Up/Move Down when the item cannot be
> so moved, or should we let the item cycle through to the other
> end of the list?  I think the latter might be more useful.
>
> Is the "ROI" for graying out inapplicable buttons not worthwhile
> in some cases?

Re: Consistent greying of inapplicable buttons

Yes I had not forgotten - that was one reason I wanted to generalise
any issue we added.

Gale