Cut and paste implemented for time track

Cut and paste implemented for time track

Paul Licameli
Incidentally to my work for exception handling, I supplied missing cut and copy methods for TimeTrack.  (So elsewhere I can assume that whenever any track is cut or copied, the result is never NULL.  Exceptions instead for errors.)

So now control points can be cut or copied from one portion of the time track and pasted into it elsewhere or into another project.

I welcome testing now.

I am aware of one defect.  If you cut points, then the time envelope before and after the cut is not left unchanged.  And the same is true of envelopes of wave clips.  Not coincidentally, because the code is common.

I have a branch envelope-fixes meant to address that and other problems.  In fact it is some rather old work of mine that got repeatedly delayed from merging.  I expect I will review and merge it this release.

Re: Cut and paste implemented for time track

Thanks, Paul. One small detail. Now we can paste control points into
Time Track, could we allow Edit > Copy and Edit  > Cut to be enabled
when the selection is only in the Time Track? At the moment we require
to select in an audio track too.

Perhaps this requires first sorting out the multiple "things" that can be
on the Audacity clipboard?

Gale

On 1 April 2017 at 16:06, Paul Licameli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Incidentally to my work for exception handling, I supplied missing cut and
> copy methods for TimeTrack.  (So elsewhere I can assume that whenever any
> track is cut or copied, the result is never NULL.  Exceptions instead for
> errors.)
>
> So now control points can be cut or copied from one portion of the time
> track and pasted into it elsewhere or into another project.
>
> I welcome testing now.
>
> I am aware of one defect.  If you cut points, then the time envelope before
> and after the cut is not left unchanged.  And the same is true of envelopes
> of wave clips.  Not coincidentally, because the code is common.
>
> I have a branch envelope-fixes meant to address that and other problems.  In
> fact it is some rather old work of mine that got repeatedly delayed from
> merging.  I expect I will review and merge it this release.
>
> PRL

Re: Cut and paste implemented for time track

Richard Ash (audacity-help)
On Sat, 1 Apr 2017 11:06:57 -0400
Paul Licameli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am aware of one defect.  If you cut points, then the time envelope
> before and after the cut is not left unchanged.  And the same is true
> of envelopes of wave clips.  Not coincidentally, because the code is
> common.
>
> I have a branch envelope-fixes meant to address that and other
> problems. In fact it is some rather old work of mine that got
> repeatedly delayed from merging.  I expect I will review and merge it
> this release.
I'd be really pleased to have that for volume envelopes!

Richard

Re: Cut and paste implemented for time track

MartynShaw
Hi Paul

On 1 April 2017 at 16:06, Paul Licameli <[hidden email]> wrote:
Incidentally to my work for exception handling, I supplied missing cut and copy methods for TimeTrack.  (So elsewhere I can assume that whenever any track is cut or copied, the result is never NULL.  Exceptions instead for errors.)

So now control points can be cut or copied from one portion of the time track and pasted into it elsewhere or into another project.

I welcome testing now.

I am aware of one defect.  If you cut points, then the time envelope before and after the cut is not left unchanged.  And the same is true of envelopes of wave clips.

What do you mean here?  In released versions, on a normal audio track with an envelope, if you cut a section out the envelope gets new point to preserve it's values.  I remember spending ages trying to get this right many years ago and I thought we had it sorted.

TTFN
Martyn

  Not coincidentally, because the code is common.

I have a branch envelope-fixes meant to address that and other problems.  In fact it is some rather old work of mine that got repeatedly delayed from merging.  I expect I will review and merge it this release.

Re: Cut and paste implemented for time track

Paul Licameli

On Sun, Apr 2, 2017 at 5:49 PM, Martyn Shaw <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Paul

[...]

Ah, you are right, Martyn, that cut (Ctrl+X) or delete does the right thing to envelopes of wave clips.  It does not, yet, for time track.

But what I was recollecting though is that split cut and split delete (Ctrl+Shift+ X or K) do not do the right thing, yet, for wave clips.  These do not introduce new envelope control points at the boundaries.

More work for me to set it all right for envelopes and time tracks both.  This work has been in preparation for a while.

PRL

On 2 April 2017 at 23:03, Paul Licameli <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Paul, I see that is Ctrl+Alt+X / K and agree they don't work properly.

TTFN
Martyn