Quantcast

DEVEL_FIX MADEs

James Crook
Gale has tested and completed reassignment of all DEVEL-FIXMADE P1 and P2s.

This was a necessary step in getting release ready.  We could not
release with a P1 or P2 DEVEL-FIXMADE.   That's because recent fixes in
dangerous code could easily inadvertently introduce more serious bugs
than the original problem.

Thanks Gale.  A lot of testing around corner cases done.

Re: DEVEL_FIX MADEs

On 16 March 2017 at 08:14, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Gale has tested and completed reassignment of all DEVEL-FIXMADE P1 and P2s.
>
> This was a necessary step in getting release ready.  We could not
> release with a P1 or P2 DEVEL-FIXMADE.   That's because recent fixes in
> dangerous code could easily inadvertently introduce more serious bugs
> than the original problem.

That could also be the case with some of the P3's and P4's.

Having P3 DEVEL-FIXED at release time isn't ideal for purpose
of the release notes.

Are you releasing tomorrow (if so what exact UTC time?) or giving a
little more time for Linux RC4? I will probably test a few more
DEVEL-FIXED even if you do release tomorrow, but releasing UTC
evenings when I am around is better for me than UTC mornings
when I am not.

Gale

On 3/16/2017 7:10 PM, Gale Andrews wrote:
> On 16 March 2017 at 08:14, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Gale has tested and completed reassignment of all DEVEL-FIXMADE P1 and P2s.
>>
>> This was a necessary step in getting release ready.  We could not
>> release with a P1 or P2 DEVEL-FIXMADE.   That's because recent fixes in
>> dangerous code could easily inadvertently introduce more serious bugs
>> than the original problem.
> That could also be the case with some of the P3's and P4's.
Yes, I am aware of that, but am prepared to take the risk.  I know what
features I changed and for the P3's and P4's a possible P2 or P3
'residual' is both low probability and not a disaster.

> Having P3 DEVEL-FIXED at release time isn't ideal for purpose
> of the release notes.
I agree.  Not ideal.

> Are you releasing tomorrow (if so what exact UTC time?) or giving a
> little more time for Linux RC4?
I wasn't planning to give extra time for RC4, given that we have never
said that a 'fix' means an automatic delay of a week - and the 'fix' was
essentially rolling back a previous change.

"Not ideal" is 'OK' by me.  If you are saying "inadvisable", then we
need to discuss in more depth as to why.

> I will probably test a few more
> DEVEL-FIXED even if you do release tomorrow, but releasing UTC
> evenings when I am around is better for me than UTC mornings
> when I am not.
OK then.  I'll start from 5pm UTC tomorrow.  I'd like to do it earlier
and get it in the hands of users, but will hold off until then.