Danish translation for Audacity

scootergrisen
I have improved the danish translation for Audacity.

If there are any danish people out there i would like for you to test it
so we can improve it even more.

Let me know if any problem are found with the file so i can fix it
before next Audacity release.

da.po (452K) Download Attachment

Re: Danish translation for Audacity

James Crook
scootergrisen....
Just checking...  You've used English more than the original
translation.  Here are some examples.  I don't speak Danish, but I am
assuming your reasoning is that the English technical term is more
appropriate in each of these cases.  Is that your intention? I can't
check this, so I am just assuming you are right and have checked this
in.  In other places you have been more careful about spaces and
punctuation than the previous translation, and that definitely helps.

We will have an update with a few new strings to translate, probably on
Sunday 8th.

Thanks for your work on this.
It's now at.
https://github.com/audacity/audacity/blob/master/locale/da.po

--James.

#: src/AboutDialog.cpp:527
msgid "Program build date: "
msgstr "Programversion dato:"
msgstr "Program build dato: "

#: src/AboutDialog.cpp:533
msgid "Commit Id:"
msgstr "Indsender-ID:"
msgstr "Commit Id:"

#: src/AboutDialog.cpp:538 src/AboutDialog.cpp:540
msgid "Build type:"
msgstr "Versionstype:"
msgstr "Build type:"

#: src/AboutDialog.cpp:538
msgid "Debug build"
msgstr "Fejlfindingsversion"
msgstr "Debug build"

#: src/AboutDialog.cpp:540
msgid "Release build"
msgstr "Færdig udgave, version"
msgstr "Release build"

On 29/08/2015 22:26, scootergrisen wrote:
> I have improved the danish translation for Audacity.
>
> If there are any danish people out there i would like for you to test
> it so we can improve it even more.
>
> Let me know if any problem are found with the file so i can fix it
> before next Audacity release.

Re: Danish translation for Audacity

scootergrisen
> scootergrisen....
> Just checking...  You've used English more than the original
> translation.  Here are some examples.  I don't speak Danish, but I am
> assuming your reasoning is that the English technical term is more
> appropriate in each of these cases.  Is that your intention?

I made comments to the examples at the bottom of this e-mail.

Sometimes danish software is translated "to much" to danish if
everything is translated so it can become harder to understand the software.
So sometimes i don't think it helps the user to translate every word.

> I can't
> check this, so I am just assuming you are right and have checked this
> in.

I just change to the thing i think is the best.
I tried asking some other people to help check the translation but i
have not hear from any. The person translating before me have checked
some of my changes but there was still a lot of changes (800+) that the
person did not check, but i havent hear from that person in some time.

> Thanks for your work on this.
> It's now at.
> https://github.com/audacity/audacity/blob/master/locale/da.po

:)

> #: src/AboutDialog.cpp:527
> msgid "Program build date: "
> msgstr "Programversion dato:"
> msgstr "Program build dato: "

Version is not the same as build so i changed it.

> #: src/AboutDialog.cpp:533
> msgid "Commit Id:"
> msgstr "Indsender-ID:"
> msgstr "Commit Id:"

commit is the word used on git/github when making changes right?
I don't think git or github is translated to danish so i think its
better for the user if it says the same in Audacity as on git/github.

> #: src/AboutDialog.cpp:538 src/AboutDialog.cpp:540
> msgid "Build type:"
> msgstr "Versionstype:"
> msgstr "Build type:"

Again version is not the same as build.

> #: src/AboutDialog.cpp:538
> msgid "Debug build"
> msgstr "Fejlfindingsversion"
> msgstr "Debug build"

It seems better to call it "Debug build" because thats what its called
everywhere else.

> #: src/AboutDialog.cpp:540
> msgid "Release build"
> msgstr "Færdig udgave, version"
> msgstr "Release build"

Again it seems better to call it "Release" when its called that
everywhere on the website.
I guess if the website was translated to danish it might make sense to
change it.