Default Theme for 2.2.0.

James Crook

We now have three themes in the development version of Audacity in
GitHub.  You can select them from Edit->Preferences->Interface

The choices are

- Classic
- Light
- Dark

The 'custom theme' works too, and if there is interest I can share
information on how to use the custom theme.  At this juncture I'm
interested in feedback on which of the three themes to offer as the
default n 2.2.0.

Please leave feedback as an answer to the question:
http://hub.audacityteam.org//index.php/1/which-theme-to-set-as-default

Hub is a new subdomain of audacityteam.org created yesterday.  It is a
stackoverflow-like forum for us to tease out answers to questions about
development direction for Audacity.  Currently it is open to anyone to
ask/answer/vote/comment on questions.  We may need to restrict access if
it starts getting spam.

Re: Default Theme for 2.2.0.

Please do share about using the "custom" theme. In any case,
it has to be documented.

Gale

On 9 April 2017 at 13:58, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We now have three themes in the development version of Audacity in
> GitHub.  You can select them from Edit->Preferences->Interface
>
> The choices are
>
> - Classic
> - Light
> - Dark
>
> The 'custom theme' works too, and if there is interest I can share
> information on how to use the custom theme.  At this juncture I'm
> interested in feedback on which of the three themes to offer as the
> default n 2.2.0.
>
> Please leave feedback as an answer to the question:
> http://hub.audacityteam.org//index.php/1/which-theme-to-set-as-default
>
> Hub is a new subdomain of audacityteam.org created yesterday.  It is a
> stackoverflow-like forum for us to tease out answers to questions about
> development direction for Audacity.  Currently it is open to anyone to
> ask/answer/vote/comment on questions.  We may need to restrict access if
> it starts getting spam.

Re: Default Theme for 2.2.0.

James Crook
On 4/9/2017 4:01 PM, Gale Andrews wrote:
> Please do share about using the "custom" theme. In any case,
> it has to be documented.

http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Theming_HowTo

Before we actually release 2.2.0 I am likely to rename many of the
colours to make it clearer what they are, and also reorganise the order
in the ImageCache.

> On 9 April 2017 at 13:58, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> We now have three themes in the development version of Audacity in
>> GitHub.  You can select them from Edit->Preferences->Interface
>>
>> The choices are
>>
>> - Classic
>> - Light
>> - Dark
>>
>> The 'custom theme' works too, and if there is interest I can share
>> information on how to use the custom theme.  At this juncture I'm
>> interested in feedback on which of the three themes to offer as the
>> default n 2.2.0.
>>
>> Please leave feedback as an answer to the question:
>> http://hub.audacityteam.org//index.php/1/which-theme-to-set-as-default
>>
>> Hub is a new subdomain of audacityteam.org created yesterday.  It is a
>> stackoverflow-like forum for us to tease out answers to questions about
>> development direction for Audacity.  Currently it is open to anyone to
>> ask/answer/vote/comment on questions.  We may need to restrict access if
>> it starts getting spam.
>>
>> --James.

Re: Default Theme for 2.2.0.

OK thanks for updating the Wiki page today,

I'd like to know the support status for pre-existing custom themes
like http://jcsu.jesus.cam.ac.uk/~hdc21/design/audacity/ .
These load looking very broken.

Do all customizers now have to start over from the Theme.zip
just posted to Wiki?

Gale

On 9 April 2017 at 17:09, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 4/9/2017 4:01 PM, Gale Andrews wrote:
>> Please do share about using the "custom" theme. In any case,
>> it has to be documented.
>
> http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Theming_HowTo
>
> Before we actually release 2.2.0 I am likely to rename many of the
> colours to make it clearer what they are, and also reorganise the order
> in the ImageCache.

>> On 9 April 2017 at 13:58, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> We now have three themes in the development version of Audacity in
>>> GitHub.  You can select them from Edit->Preferences->Interface
>>>
>>> The choices are
>>>
>>> - Classic
>>> - Light
>>> - Dark
>>>
>>> The 'custom theme' works too, and if there is interest I can share
>>> information on how to use the custom theme.  At this juncture I'm
>>> interested in feedback on which of the three themes to offer as the
>>> default n 2.2.0.
>>>
>>> Please leave feedback as an answer to the question:
>>> http://hub.audacityteam.org//index.php/1/which-theme-to-set-as-default
>>>
>>> Hub is a new subdomain of audacityteam.org created yesterday.  It is a
>>> stackoverflow-like forum for us to tease out answers to questions about
>>> development direction for Audacity.  Currently it is open to anyone to
>>> ask/answer/vote/comment on questions.  We may need to restrict access if
>>> it starts getting spam.
>>>
>>> --James.

Re: Default Theme for 2.2.0.

James Crook

Old themes can be fixed, but it will be a fair bit of work for each theme.

I added a new section on the wiki page as to how:
http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Theming_HowTo#Converting_Old_Themes

--James.

On 4/9/2017 7:27 PM, Gale Andrews wrote:

> OK thanks for updating the Wiki page today,
>
> I'd like to know the support status for pre-existing custom themes
> like http://jcsu.jesus.cam.ac.uk/~hdc21/design/audacity/ .
> These load looking very broken.
>
> Do all customizers now have to start over from the Theme.zip
> just posted to Wiki?
>

> Gale
>

> On 9 April 2017 at 17:09, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 4/9/2017 4:01 PM, Gale Andrews wrote:
>>> Please do share about using the "custom" theme. In any case,
>>> it has to be documented.
>> http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Theming_HowTo
>>
>> Before we actually release 2.2.0 I am likely to rename many of the
>> colours to make it clearer what they are, and also reorganise the order
>> in the ImageCache.
>>
>> --James.
>>

>>> Gale

Re: Default Theme for 2.2.0.

Stevethefiddle
Is it perhaps a bit premature to ask for votes before the themes are complete?

Steve

On 9 April 2017 at 20:24, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Old themes can be fixed, but it will be a fair bit of work for each theme.
>
> I added a new section on the wiki page as to how:
> http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Theming_HowTo#Converting_Old_Themes
>
> --James.
>

> On 4/9/2017 7:27 PM, Gale Andrews wrote:
>> OK thanks for updating the Wiki page today,
>>
>> I'd like to know the support status for pre-existing custom themes
>> like http://jcsu.jesus.cam.ac.uk/~hdc21/design/audacity/ .
>> These load looking very broken.
>>
>> Do all customizers now have to start over from the Theme.zip
>> just posted to Wiki?
>>

>> Gale

>>> http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Theming_HowTo
>>>
>>> Before we actually release 2.2.0 I am likely to rename many of the
>>> colours to make it clearer what they are, and also reorganise the order
>>> in the ImageCache.
>>>
>>> --James.

Re: Default Theme for 2.2.0.

Stevethefiddle
Screenshot of the light theme on Xubuntu: https://www.sendspace.com/file/wpmpm9

Steve

On 9 April 2017 at 20:59, Steve the Fiddle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is it perhaps a bit premature to ask for votes before the themes are complete?
>
> Steve
>
> On 9 April 2017 at 20:24, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Old themes can be fixed, but it will be a fair bit of work for each theme.
>>
>> I added a new section on the wiki page as to how:
>> http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Theming_HowTo#Converting_Old_Themes
>>
>> --James.
>>

>> On 4/9/2017 7:27 PM, Gale Andrews wrote:
>>> OK thanks for updating the Wiki page today,
>>>
>>> I'd like to know the support status for pre-existing custom themes
>>> like http://jcsu.jesus.cam.ac.uk/~hdc21/design/audacity/ .
>>> These load looking very broken.
>>>
>>> Do all customizers now have to start over from the Theme.zip
>>> just posted to Wiki?
>>>

>>> Gale

Re: Default Theme for 2.2.0.

MartynShaw
Do we have a plan to make custom theming available to the average user?  So they can customise their own?  I don't think we need that and I guess it would be a large project in itself.  The current system is not suitable for that by a country mile.

TTFN
Martyn

On 9 April 2017 at 17:09, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 4/9/2017 4:01 PM, Gale Andrews wrote:
> Please do share about using the "custom" theme. In any case,
> it has to be documented.

http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Theming_HowTo

Before we actually release 2.2.0 I am likely to rename many of the
colours to make it clearer what they are, and also reorganise the order
in the ImageCache.

> On 9 April 2017 at 13:58, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> We now have three themes in the development version of Audacity in
>> GitHub.  You can select them from Edit->Preferences->Interface
>>
>> The choices are
>>
>> - Classic
>> - Light
>> - Dark
>>
>> The 'custom theme' works too, and if there is interest I can share
>> information on how to use the custom theme.  At this juncture I'm
>> interested in feedback on which of the three themes to offer as the
>> default n 2.2.0.
>>
>> Please leave feedback as an answer to the question:
>> http://hub.audacityteam.org//index.php/1/which-theme-to-set-as-default
>>
>> Hub is a new subdomain of audacityteam.org created yesterday.  It is a
>> stackoverflow-like forum for us to tease out answers to questions about
>> development direction for Audacity.  Currently it is open to anyone to
>> ask/answer/vote/comment on questions.  We may need to restrict access if
>> it starts getting spam.
>>
>> --James.

Re: Default Theme for 2.2.0.

Peter Sampson-2

On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 12:01 AM, Martyn Shaw <[hidden email]> wrote:
Do we have a plan to make custom theming available to the average user?  So they can customise their own?  I don't think we need that and I guess it would be a large project in itself.  The current system is not suitable for that by a country mile.

In which case it might be better for us to offer a greater number of "pre-baked" themes
fot the average non-techy user.  The Blue theme suggested bt Gale for example.

We could even add an extra theme or so in later releases to add to the Theme-store,
to add extra visual appeal for later releases.

Peter.

TTFN
Martyn

On 9 April 2017 at 17:09, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 4/9/2017 4:01 PM, Gale Andrews wrote:
> Please do share about using the "custom" theme. In any case,
> it has to be documented.

http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Theming_HowTo

Before we actually release 2.2.0 I am likely to rename many of the
colours to make it clearer what they are, and also reorganise the order
in the ImageCache.

> On 9 April 2017 at 13:58, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> We now have three themes in the development version of Audacity in
>> GitHub.  You can select them from Edit->Preferences->Interface
>>
>> The choices are
>>
>> - Classic
>> - Light
>> - Dark
>>
>> The 'custom theme' works too, and if there is interest I can share
>> information on how to use the custom theme.  At this juncture I'm
>> interested in feedback on which of the three themes to offer as the
>> default n 2.2.0.
>>
>> Please leave feedback as an answer to the question:
>> http://hub.audacityteam.org//index.php/1/which-theme-to-set-as-default
>>
>> Hub is a new subdomain of audacityteam.org created yesterday.  It is a
>> stackoverflow-like forum for us to tease out answers to questions about
>> development direction for Audacity.  Currently it is open to anyone to
>> ask/answer/vote/comment on questions.  We may need to restrict access if
>> it starts getting spam.
>>
>> --James.

Light theme on Linux (was Default Theme for 2.2.0.)

Steve,

There are limitations in what wxWidgets allows you to do when theming
native controls.

For example, the OS theme controls the main menu bar and the text colour
of drop downs (you can tweak the background colour of drop downs, but
without being able to change the text colour, that is not a lot of  usef
for theming).  OS theme also controls the colours of scroll bars.

This means that to use a theme as intended, e.g. a dark theme in
Audacity, you should use a dark theme in your OS.  The recently added
HiContrast theme really needs the OS to be set for HiContrast too.

In your example you are using a middling grey theme in Linux with the
Audacity light theme.  The device toolbar and selection toolbar which
have drop downs therefore look badly out of place.

Since the Classic and Light theme are built in, I now warp the colours
of the buttons and '3DFace' colour to what the system is using.  The
Audacity theme does not then show in the intended colours, but it is
better than a mismatch.  I've not enabled that for custom themes as for
these the user should choose a custom theme that works well with their
system theme.

--James.

On 4/9/2017 10:05 PM, Steve the Fiddle wrote:
> Screenshot of the light theme on Xubuntu: https://www.sendspace.com/file/wpmpm9

Re: Light theme on Linux (was Default Theme for 2.2.0.)

Peter Sampson-2
James wrote:
> ... I've not enabled that for custom themes as for these the user should choose
>a custom theme that works well with their system theme.

You're kind of assuming here that such users only have one system - or if they
have several then they run common system themes on them.

On 10 April 2017 at 12:36, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Steve,
>
> There are limitations in what wxWidgets allows you to do when theming
> native controls.

I'm aware of that.
Could we discus this on the forum - it's a heck of a lot easier to
post screenshots there.

Steve