Default setting of "Move selection with tracks"

David Bailes-3
The current default setting of "Move selection with tracks" in the align sub menu is on.
Based on the feedback described below, I think this should be changed to off. Does anyone have any objections to this change?

I recently asked for feedback on Audacity4Blind on the usage of the current align commands. All those who responded and who use the commands said they only used the version that doesn't move the selection. Robert has also said that nearly all the time he uses the version that doesn't move the selection.

David.

Re: Default setting of "Move selection with tracks"

James Crook
+1
Please do change it.

(For Dark Audacity I may well remove the preference 'move selection with
track' and instead always remove the selection after an align).

--James.

On 5/2/2017 9:17 AM, David Bailes wrote:

> The current default setting of "Move selection with tracks" in the align
> sub menu is on.
> Based on the feedback described below, I think this should be changed to
> off. Does anyone have any objections to this change?
>
> I recently asked for feedback on Audacity4Blind on the usage of the current
> align commands. All those who responded and who use the commands said they
> only used the version that doesn't move the selection. Robert has also said
> that nearly all the time he uses the version that doesn't move the
> selection.
>
> David.

Re: Default setting of "Move selection with tracks"

Robert Hänggi
On 02/05/2017, David Bailes <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The current default setting of "Move selection with tracks" in the align
> sub menu is on.
> Based on the feedback described below, I think this should be changed to
> off. Does anyone have any objections to this change?

+1

Further possible enhancements:
1. Change The align position for "Align together" from average to the
Cursor/Selection Start
Thus the user spares one command (time shifting)
Example:
You have three tracks, starting at 0 s, 3 s and 4 s and you want them
to all begin at 2 s.
You align them together. They will all start at, guess what, 2.3333 s.
Hardly a sensible value. It is more convenient to have it at the
cursor where you can immediately listen to the result.

- Keep only those entries with "Cursor Position/selection Start", in
particular, remove "Start to Selection End" and "End to Selection
End".
To align in the above fashion, it is enough to press arrow right
before aligning.
Align with zero would also be semi-redundant by pressing home
beforehand, however, due to the possibility of having audio before
zero, it is not always feasable.

3. The seek and selection (expand) commands should go further than the
track/project end.
Expanding a selection beyond the physical stop point is currently only
possible through numerical input.
This enhancement is not only useful needed for aligning later in time
but also for e.g. extending a selection for effects like delay or
reverb. Other example: create a mono track and open the nyquist
prompt--won't work. You have to make a selection first which is
currently not possible with just pressing shift+right arrow.
(Perhaps, there should always be a selection, even for a single cursor)

Robert

On 2 May 2017 at 12:21, Robert Hänggi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 02/05/2017, David Bailes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The current default setting of "Move selection with tracks" in the align
>> sub menu is on.
>> Based on the feedback described below, I think this should be changed to
>> off. Does anyone have any objections to this change?
>>
> +1

+1 to change it for now. If so, we can find out if sighted users feel
differently about it.

> Further possible enhancements:
> 1. Change The align position for "Align together" from average to the
> Cursor/Selection Start
> Thus the user spares one command (time shifting)
> Example:
> You have three tracks, starting at 0 s, 3 s and 4 s and you want them
> to all begin at 2 s.
> You align them together. They will all start at, guess what, 2.3333 s.
> Hardly a sensible value. It is more convenient to have it at the
> cursor where you can immediately listen to the result.

+1.

> - Keep only those entries with "Cursor Position/selection Start", in
> particular, remove "Start to Selection End" and "End to Selection
> End".
> To align in the above fashion, it is enough to press arrow right
> before aligning.

-1. You might want to retain the selection.

> Align with zero would also be semi-redundant by pressing home
> beforehand, however, due to the possibility of having audio before
> zero, it is not always feasable.
>
> 3. The seek and selection (expand) commands should go further than the
> track/project end.
> Expanding a selection beyond the physical stop point is currently only
> possible through numerical input.
> This enhancement is not only useful needed for aligning later in time
> but also for e.g. extending a selection for effects like delay or
> reverb.

+1 to do that for except for seek during playback. I would though like
to see boundary snap guides working when selection contract/expand
meets the boundary of a clip or track.

> Other example: create a mono track and open the nyquist
> prompt--won't work. You have to make a selection first which is
> currently not possible with just pressing shift+right arrow.
> (Perhaps, there should always be a selection, even for a single cursor)

We discussed in another thread not requiring a track or selection
for Nyquist Prompt.

Or you can compile the Nyquist Workbench module.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Gale

On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 2:20 AM, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 2 May 2017 at 12:21, Robert Hänggi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 02/05/2017, David Bailes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The current default setting of "Move selection with tracks" in the align
>> sub menu is on.
>> Based on the feedback described below, I think this should be changed to
>> off. Does anyone have any objections to this change?
>>
> +1

+1 to change it for now. If so, we can find out if sighted users feel
differently about it.

Changed in commit:

Yes, it would be very useful to find out whether sighted users feel differently about it,

David.