Default theme for 2.2.0

Peter Sampson-2
James wrote elsewhere:
>More significant is the decision on whether to release 2.2.0 with Classic theme as the default
>or Light as the default.  That is a decision for RM.  Even then, manual team might decide not
>to update the annotated toolbar images in the manual, just Bill's hyperlinked image on the
>front page.

So RM-Paul,

now that the developer of the new themes for Audacity has tossed over to you, as RM. the
decision
as to what the default theme will be for 2.2.0 - can we please know your thoughts.

1) I would stongly support the "Light" theme - it's like Classic but with a modern twist.
So users would see a change, but a relatively comfortable change.

2) I would not support "Dark" as the default theme (much as I like it) as I would wish to
retain visual differentiation compared with DarkAudacity.

3) I would not support "Classic" as the default themeas that would be a wasted opportunity
for a refresh.
  We are changing a lot of the GUI with this release - so it makes sense to have
refreshed look for the default theme.

Cheers,

Re: Default theme for 2.2.0

Peter Sampson-2

On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 2:13 PM, Paul Licameli <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 8:59 AM, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]> wrote:
James wrote elsewhere:
>More significant is the decision on whether to release 2.2.0 with Classic theme as the default
>or Light as the default.  That is a decision for RM.  Even then, manual team might decide not
>to update the annotated toolbar images in the manual, just Bill's hyperlinked image on the
>front page.

So RM-Paul,

now that the developer of the new themes for Audacity has tossed over to you, as RM. the
decision
as to what the default theme will be for 2.2.0 - can we please know your thoughts.

1) I would stongly support the "Light" theme - it's like Classic but with a modern twist.
So users would see a change, but a relatively comfortable change.

2) I would not support "Dark" as the default theme (much as I like it) as I would wish to
retain visual differentiation compared with DarkAudacity.

3) I would not support "Classic" as the default themeas that would be a wasted opportunity
for a refresh.
  We are changing a lot of the GUI with this release - so it makes sense to have
refreshed look for the default theme.

Cheers,
Peter.

In context I was discussing the small changes of arrangement of controls, not the colors.  Comparison of macOs and Windows tells me that not all these changes looked very good on Mac, so I moved the track status text a little.  Examination of code made me think the intentions were not always realized.

But anyway, about the colors, I think Peter is mostly right.  Though I was thinking yesterday that on Mac, the color contrast of the bevels with the inside of the buttons in unselected tracks. is a little too weak.

Will we have easy dynamic switching of the themes at the users's choice?

Yes, it's dead easy.

1) Just go to Edit>Preferences (Ctrl+P shortcut) and select the Interface section.

2) Third item down is "Theme" which has a dropdown selction menu.

3) Just select the one you want.

4) Click the OK button

job done ;-))

Re: Default theme for 2.2.0

If it matters I would vote for Light as default, with strongish
reservations that I don't think it is fully finished. My reasoning for
Light being default are as Peter stated.

Light does look reasonably sharp and cheery on my non-adjusted
and somewhat color-saturated laptop screen, but on my working
DVI monitor where I only slightly tone down contrast, Light looks
very "washed out" and "non-descript", especially the buttons.

Generally the buttons look part of the scheme in Dark, but not so
in Light - they seem too thick relative to their visibility.

I might play around getting it to look nicer on my monitor, but it
is very low priority for me. I think the buttons could look nice in
something like the blue of the slider knobs, which I might have
as yellow.

I am always bowled over by the Track Panel background though
- perfect colour for me on any monitor I use.

Gale