Delete / trim dropouts

jongalloway
I have a podcast recording where one track has a lot of dropouts - sample ranges with 0.0 values. I'd like to delete all samples where:

1. Value is NIL / 0.0.
2. Sample length < .5 seconds (since participants mute when not talking, so there are long segments of legitimate mutes)

I've spent several hours looking at either modifying some existing Nyquist plugins like TrimSilence or creating some a new plugin, but I'm not having any luck.

At a basic level, I tried some things like:
(delete NIL 0)
but nothing changed.

When searching around, I found several other people trying to do similar things that weren't answered.

Any pointers?