Quantcast

Desktop icons on Mac

Stevethefiddle
I read a comment in an answer to a support question:

"It is generally regarded as a bad idea to store many items on a Mac desktop.
The icons consume a lot of resources."

Is that true?

I remember back in the days of Windows 3.11 / 98 keeping the number of
Desktop icons to a minimum, along with using plain colour background,
reducing the number of fonts and disabling start-up items in the name
of conserving computer resources for better performance.

I can imagine that cluttering a Mac Desktop with icons will be
considered by many as "bad" in the same way that an unwashed Bentley
is bad, but does it really have more than insignificant impact on
resources?

Re: Desktop icons on Mac

Cliff Scott
Hi Steve,

I've been told the same thing even on the Mac Forum, but for the life of me I can't see why it would be true since as far as I can see Desktop is a folder like any other folder except that it is displayed more often than other folders.

Cliff

> On Mar 9, 2017, at 3:06 AM, Steve the Fiddle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I read a comment in an answer to a support question:
>
> "It is generally regarded as a bad idea to store many items on a Mac desktop.
> The icons consume a lot of resources."
>
> Is that true?
>
> I remember back in the days of Windows 3.11 / 98 keeping the number of
> Desktop icons to a minimum, along with using plain colour background,
> reducing the number of fonts and disabling start-up items in the name
> of conserving computer resources for better performance.
>
> I can imagine that cluttering a Mac Desktop with icons will be
> considered by many as "bad" in the same way that an unwashed Bentley
> is bad, but does it really have more than insignificant impact on
> resources?

Re: Desktop icons on Mac

It was I who made that comment on feedback@. Not sure why Steve
refers so obliquely to it. I stand by what I said.

Koz (IIRC) referred to this on the Forum a while ago when he saw a
picture of a user's badly cluttered Desktop.

Bill says the same in a post from a year ago:
http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?p=300642#p300642 .

Level 7 support helpers with more than 30000 points on
https://discussions.apple.com say it.

We know that Genius Bar workers move items from the Desktop if
it is cluttered.

So it is certainly a general belief. It's said that it is due to the excessive
resources that Mac uses to display Desktop icons. I don't see this
admission on any support.apple.com pages, but then they wouldn't
admit it would they?

I can say that Windows is not affected by this. Don't know about
Linux.

Gale

On 9 March 2017 at 09:06, Steve the Fiddle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I read a comment in an answer to a support question:
>
> "It is generally regarded as a bad idea to store many items on a Mac desktop.
> The icons consume a lot of resources."
>
> Is that true?
>
> I remember back in the days of Windows 3.11 / 98 keeping the number of
> Desktop icons to a minimum, along with using plain colour background,
> reducing the number of fonts and disabling start-up items in the name
> of conserving computer resources for better performance.
>
> I can imagine that cluttering a Mac Desktop with icons will be
> considered by many as "bad" in the same way that an unwashed Bentley
> is bad, but does it really have more than insignificant impact on
> resources?

Re: Desktop icons on Mac

Stevethefiddle
On 9 March 2017 at 20:20, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It was I who made that comment on feedback@. Not sure why Steve
> refers so obliquely to it. I stand by what I said.
>
> Koz (IIRC) referred to this on the Forum a while ago when he saw a
> picture of a user's badly cluttered Desktop.
>
> Bill says the same in a post from a year ago:
> http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?p=300642#p300642 .
>
> Level 7 support helpers with more than 30000 points on
> https://discussions.apple.com say it.
>
> We know that Genius Bar workers move items from the Desktop if
> it is cluttered.
>
> So it is certainly a general belief. It's said that it is due to the excessive
> resources that Mac uses to display Desktop icons. I don't see this
> admission on any support.apple.com pages, but then they wouldn't
> admit it would they?
>
> I can say that Windows is not affected by this. Don't know about
> Linux.

Testing on an old Linux laptop with spinning disk, I don't see any
performance hit even with 100 icons on the desktop.

Considering that modern Mac's keep applications 'open' permanently, it
seems unbelievable that desktop icons could have a noticeable hit on
the performance. Would Apple really be so 1980's? What could be the
technical reason for such appalling software?

There are still plenty of people that swear that stuff on a desktop
slows down Windows, though I doubt that it does.

Yes it does seem to be a widely held belief on Mac, (but then there's
lots of widely held beliefs about Macs that are total rubbish). When I
get time I'll do some benchmarks to see if I can find any truth in it.

> On 9 March 2017 at 09:06, Steve the Fiddle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I read a comment in an answer to a support question:
>>
>> "It is generally regarded as a bad idea to store many items on a Mac desktop.
>> The icons consume a lot of resources."
>>
>> Is that true?
>>
>> I remember back in the days of Windows 3.11 / 98 keeping the number of
>> Desktop icons to a minimum, along with using plain colour background,
>> reducing the number of fonts and disabling start-up items in the name
>> of conserving computer resources for better performance.
>>
>> I can imagine that cluttering a Mac Desktop with icons will be
>> considered by many as "bad" in the same way that an unwashed Bentley
>> is bad, but does it really have more than insignificant impact on
>> resources?
>>
>> Steve

Re: Desktop icons on Mac

On 9 March 2017 at 21:13, Steve the Fiddle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 9 March 2017 at 20:20, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> It was I who made that comment on feedback@. Not sure why Steve
>> refers so obliquely to it. I stand by what I said.
>>
>> Koz (IIRC) referred to this on the Forum a while ago when he saw a
>> picture of a user's badly cluttered Desktop.
>>
>> Bill says the same in a post from a year ago:
>> http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?p=300642#p300642 .
>>
>> Level 7 support helpers with more than 30000 points on
>> https://discussions.apple.com say it.
>>
>> We know that Genius Bar workers move items from the Desktop if
>> it is cluttered.
>>
>> So it is certainly a general belief. It's said that it is due to the excessive
>> resources that Mac uses to display Desktop icons. I don't see this
>> admission on any support.apple.com pages, but then they wouldn't
>> admit it would they?
>>
>> I can say that Windows is not affected by this. Don't know about
>> Linux.
>
> Testing on an old Linux laptop with spinning disk, I don't see any
> performance hit even with 100 icons on the desktop.
>
> Considering that modern Mac's keep applications 'open' permanently, it
> seems unbelievable that desktop icons could have a noticeable hit on
> the performance. Would Apple really be so 1980's? What could be the
> technical reason for such appalling software?
>
> There are still plenty of people that swear that stuff on a desktop
> slows down Windows, though I doubt that it does.
>
> Yes it does seem to be a widely held belief on Mac, (but then there's
> lots of widely held beliefs about Macs that are total rubbish). When I
> get time I'll do some benchmarks to see if I can find any truth in it.
>
> Steve

Feel free. My 1567-bugged, Gatekeeper-slowed Sierra is not a good
testbed. If your more modern Mac (?) has very few apps (?) that might
not be a typical test either.

I find it hard to believe that Bill and Koz would say it, if it had not been
true at some time. And I never even said it was true, just that it was
generally regarded as true.

I might try it on Lion next time I go there.

Gale

>> On 9 March 2017 at 09:06, Steve the Fiddle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I read a comment in an answer to a support question:
>>>
>>> "It is generally regarded as a bad idea to store many items on a Mac desktop.
>>> The icons consume a lot of resources."
>>>
>>> Is that true?
>>>
>>> I remember back in the days of Windows 3.11 / 98 keeping the number of
>>> Desktop icons to a minimum, along with using plain colour background,
>>> reducing the number of fonts and disabling start-up items in the name
>>> of conserving computer resources for better performance.
>>>
>>> I can imagine that cluttering a Mac Desktop with icons will be
>>> considered by many as "bad" in the same way that an unwashed Bentley
>>> is bad, but does it really have more than insignificant impact on
>>> resources?
>>>
>>> Steve

Re: Desktop icons on Mac

On 9 March 2017 at 20:20, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It was I who made that comment on feedback@. Not sure why Steve
> refers so obliquely to it. I stand by what I said.

I didn't want to attribute on a public list, a comment that was made
on a non-public list.

Perhaps it is "generally considered..." but if it's a commonly held
myth, then the Audacity support team need to avoid perpetuating it.
It sounds like a myth to me, which is why I raised the question here.

Unless/until we have credible evidence that it is true, I think
Audacity Support should avoid propagating this theory.

Steve

> Koz (IIRC) referred to this on the Forum a while ago when he saw a
> picture of a user's badly cluttered Desktop.
>
> Bill says the same in a post from a year ago:
> http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?p=300642#p300642 .
>
> Level 7 support helpers with more than 30000 points on
> https://discussions.apple.com say it.
>
> We know that Genius Bar workers move items from the Desktop if
> it is cluttered.
>
> So it is certainly a general belief. It's said that it is due to the excessive
> resources that Mac uses to display Desktop icons. I don't see this
> admission on any support.apple.com pages, but then they wouldn't
> admit it would they?
>
> I can say that Windows is not affected by this. Don't know about
> Linux.
>

> Gale
>

> On 9 March 2017 at 09:06, Steve the Fiddle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I read a comment in an answer to a support question:
>>
>> "It is generally regarded as a bad idea to store many items on a Mac desktop.
>> The icons consume a lot of resources."
>>
>> Is that true?
>>
>> I remember back in the days of Windows 3.11 / 98 keeping the number of
>> Desktop icons to a minimum, along with using plain colour background,
>> reducing the number of fonts and disabling start-up items in the name
>> of conserving computer resources for better performance.
>>
>> I can imagine that cluttering a Mac Desktop with icons will be
>> considered by many as "bad" in the same way that an unwashed Bentley
>> is bad, but does it really have more than insignificant impact on
>> resources?
>>
>> Steve

Re: Desktop icons on Mac

Then Steve you will also need to write to Forum Crew about it.
I started mentioning it recently purely because I found out that
Koz and Bill (who are respected long time Mac users) were
saying it, and I confirmed that the same behaviour was widely
reported online.

As I said, I think we would need tests on several machines of
different types and vintages, and different versions of macOS,
to credibly prove it is not true.

Gale

On 10 March 2017 at 12:08, Steve the Fiddle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 9 March 2017 at 20:20, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> It was I who made that comment on feedback@. Not sure why Steve
>> refers so obliquely to it. I stand by what I said.
>
> I didn't want to attribute on a public list, a comment that was made
> on a non-public list.
>
> Perhaps it is "generally considered..." but if it's a commonly held
> myth, then the Audacity support team need to avoid perpetuating it.
> It sounds like a myth to me, which is why I raised the question here.
>
> Unless/until we have credible evidence that it is true, I think
> Audacity Support should avoid propagating this theory.
>
> Steve
>

>> Koz (IIRC) referred to this on the Forum a while ago when he saw a
>> picture of a user's badly cluttered Desktop.
>>
>> Bill says the same in a post from a year ago:
>> http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?p=300642#p300642 .
>>
>> Level 7 support helpers with more than 30000 points on
>> https://discussions.apple.com say it.
>>
>> We know that Genius Bar workers move items from the Desktop if
>> it is cluttered.
>>
>> So it is certainly a general belief. It's said that it is due to the excessive
>> resources that Mac uses to display Desktop icons. I don't see this
>> admission on any support.apple.com pages, but then they wouldn't
>> admit it would they?
>>
>> I can say that Windows is not affected by this. Don't know about
>> Linux.
>>

>> Gale
>>

>> On 9 March 2017 at 09:06, Steve the Fiddle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I read a comment in an answer to a support question:
>>>
>>> "It is generally regarded as a bad idea to store many items on a Mac desktop.
>>> The icons consume a lot of resources."
>>>
>>> Is that true?
>>>
>>> I remember back in the days of Windows 3.11 / 98 keeping the number of
>>> Desktop icons to a minimum, along with using plain colour background,
>>> reducing the number of fonts and disabling start-up items in the name
>>> of conserving computer resources for better performance.
>>>
>>> I can imagine that cluttering a Mac Desktop with icons will be
>>> considered by many as "bad" in the same way that an unwashed Bentley
>>> is bad, but does it really have more than insignificant impact on
>>> resources?
>>>
>>> Steve

Re: Desktop icons on Mac

Stevethefiddle
It is not my attention to criticise you Gale, in fact I specifically
did not mention you in my original post, so please don't take this
personally. I will however reiterate my initial question: Is it true
that icons on a Mac desktop consume a lot of resources?

Steve

On 10 March 2017 at 18:53, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Then Steve you will also need to write to Forum Crew about it.
> I started mentioning it recently purely because I found out that
> Koz and Bill (who are respected long time Mac users) were
> saying it, and I confirmed that the same behaviour was widely
> reported online.
>
> As I said, I think we would need tests on several machines of
> different types and vintages, and different versions of macOS,
> to credibly prove it is not true.
>

> Gale
>

> On 10 March 2017 at 12:08, Steve the Fiddle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 9 March 2017 at 20:20, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> It was I who made that comment on feedback@. Not sure why Steve
>>> refers so obliquely to it. I stand by what I said.
>>
>> I didn't want to attribute on a public list, a comment that was made
>> on a non-public list.
>>
>> Perhaps it is "generally considered..." but if it's a commonly held
>> myth, then the Audacity support team need to avoid perpetuating it.
>> It sounds like a myth to me, which is why I raised the question here.
>>
>> Unless/until we have credible evidence that it is true, I think
>> Audacity Support should avoid propagating this theory.
>>
>> Steve
>>

>>> Koz (IIRC) referred to this on the Forum a while ago when he saw a
>>> picture of a user's badly cluttered Desktop.
>>>
>>> Bill says the same in a post from a year ago:
>>> http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?p=300642#p300642 .
>>>
>>> Level 7 support helpers with more than 30000 points on
>>> https://discussions.apple.com say it.
>>>
>>> We know that Genius Bar workers move items from the Desktop if
>>> it is cluttered.
>>>
>>> So it is certainly a general belief. It's said that it is due to the excessive
>>> resources that Mac uses to display Desktop icons. I don't see this
>>> admission on any support.apple.com pages, but then they wouldn't
>>> admit it would they?
>>>
>>> I can say that Windows is not affected by this. Don't know about
>>> Linux.
>>>

>>> Gale

Re: Desktop icons on Mac

Bill Wharrie

> On 2017/03/10, at 2:05 PM, Steve the Fiddle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It is not my attention to criticise you Gale, in fact I specifically
> did not mention you in my original post, so please don't take this
> personally. I will however reiterate my initial question: Is it true
> that icons on a Mac desktop consume a lot of resources?

As one who stated this in a forum post, I feel I should jump in here.

I have not seen this myself. Probably because I do not have hundreds of files/folders on my Desktop. The slowdown in that situation is something I have read and heard, including a recent forum post where a “genius” cleaned up a client’s desktop (apparently breaking project associations?) for this reason. I recall hearing that it was the rendering of these hundreds of icons that slowed things down. If the files were images then the calculating and rendering of the icon preview would apparently contribute to the slow-down. Is it only on start-up? Only when the Desktop is first displayed? Whenever the Desktop is displayed?

So the answer to Steve’s question is: “we don’t know, but we’ve heard tell”. Proving it may be difficult.

Gale’s research has turned up no documents in Apple’s knowledge base on this issue. An internet search seems to turn up opinions instead of facts. It could well be a myth. More likely it was an issue with an older version of the OS, perhaps even before OS X, which has since been fixed. Apple is known for being silent of little problems like this.

I will continue to recommend that users do not store hundreds of files loose on the Desktop but instead use the Documents folder and a rational filing system. I’ll stop mentioning the Desktop-overload-slow-down issue given that it has become controversial.

I don’t think we should waste our time trying to prove or disprove this assertion.

— Bill

> Steve
>
> On 10 March 2017 at 18:53, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Then Steve you will also need to write to Forum Crew about it.
>> I started mentioning it recently purely because I found out that
>> Koz and Bill (who are respected long time Mac users) were
>> saying it, and I confirmed that the same behaviour was widely
>> reported online.
>>
>> As I said, I think we would need tests on several machines of
>> different types and vintages, and different versions of macOS,
>> to credibly prove it is not true.
>>

>> Gale

>>> I didn't want to attribute on a public list, a comment that was made
>>> on a non-public list.
>>>
>>> Perhaps it is "generally considered..." but if it's a commonly held
>>> myth, then the Audacity support team need to avoid perpetuating it.
>>> It sounds like a myth to me, which is why I raised the question here.
>>>
>>> Unless/until we have credible evidence that it is true, I think
>>> Audacity Support should avoid propagating this theory.
>>>
>>> Steve

Re: Desktop icons on Mac

On 10 March 2017 at 12:08, Steve the Fiddle <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 9 March 2017 at 20:20, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> It was I who made that comment on feedback@. Not sure why Steve
>> refers so obliquely to it. I stand by what I said.
>
> I didn't want to attribute on a public list, a comment that was made
> on a non-public list.

I am very strongly of the view that we shouldn't name the feedback@
user or provide their address on a public list, and ideally should
paraphrase rather than direct quote what they said.

I never intended that restriction to apply to "us", given some of "us"
already read feedback@.

"<name> mentioned in response to a question on feedback@..." is fine
by me. Arguably it is more polite too, since the person who is being
cited is very likely to reply.

Gale

> Perhaps it is "generally considered..." but if it's a commonly held
> myth, then the Audacity support team need to avoid perpetuating it.
> It sounds like a myth to me, which is why I raised the question here.
>
> Unless/until we have credible evidence that it is true, I think
> Audacity Support should avoid propagating this theory.
>
> Steve
>

>> Koz (IIRC) referred to this on the Forum a while ago when he saw a
>> picture of a user's badly cluttered Desktop.
>>
>> Bill says the same in a post from a year ago:
>> http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?p=300642#p300642 .
>>
>> Level 7 support helpers with more than 30000 points on
>> https://discussions.apple.com say it.
>>
>> We know that Genius Bar workers move items from the Desktop if
>> it is cluttered.
>>
>> So it is certainly a general belief. It's said that it is due to the excessive
>> resources that Mac uses to display Desktop icons. I don't see this
>> admission on any support.apple.com pages, but then they wouldn't
>> admit it would they?
>>
>> I can say that Windows is not affected by this. Don't know about
>> Linux.
>>

>> Gale
>>

>> On 9 March 2017 at 09:06, Steve the Fiddle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I read a comment in an answer to a support question:
>>>
>>> "It is generally regarded as a bad idea to store many items on a Mac desktop.
>>> The icons consume a lot of resources."
>>>
>>> Is that true?
>>>
>>> I remember back in the days of Windows 3.11 / 98 keeping the number of
>>> Desktop icons to a minimum, along with using plain colour background,
>>> reducing the number of fonts and disabling start-up items in the name
>>> of conserving computer resources for better performance.
>>>
>>> I can imagine that cluttering a Mac Desktop with icons will be
>>> considered by many as "bad" in the same way that an unwashed Bentley
>>> is bad, but does it really have more than insignificant impact on
>>> resources?
>>>
>>> Steve

Re: Desktop icons on Mac

On 10 March 2017 at 19:05, Steve the Fiddle <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It is not my attention to criticise you Gale, in fact I specifically
> did not mention you in my original post, so please don't take this
> personally.

Thanks, Steve.

But Koz does not read here, as you know. If you ask him on the Forum
he should hopefully say whether he has experience of seeing this
problem for himself.

If no-one who said this actually has first hand experience, then it would
have to be tested on several different machines. If there is anything we
have learned recently it's that Macs do not all behave the same, even
though they are all made by the same manufacturer.

Gale