Did everyone get this email on the list or is this a fishing email

RT

Did everyone get this email on the list or is this a fishing email

RT
I was sent the below email and wanted to know if anyone else got this?

Hi,

Thanks for being a SourceForge user. Our records indicate that you are subscribed to the following project mailing lists:

    audacity-users
    sox-users

We are contacting you to confirm you are still interested in receiving emails from these SourceForge project lists.  If you do not confirm your subscriptions by June 29th, you will be unsubscribed from the above mailing lists.

*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: Did everyone get this email on the list or is this a fishing email

Lin Sprague
On 6/9/2017 1:46 AM, RT wrote:
> I was sent the below email and wanted to know if anyone else got this?
>
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for being a SourceForge user. Our records indicate that you are
> subscribed to the following project mailing lists:
>
>      audacity-users
>      sox-users

I got one, too (but just for the audacity list.) I checked out the email
headers thoroughly and decided it was legit, so I responded to it as
requested.

*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: Did everyone get this email on the list or is this a fishing email

Billy Geiger-4
I did, too....

[hidden email]

        Billy Geiger
        Winder, GA.
      (40 miles east
         of Atlanta)

On 06/09/2017 12:46 PM, RT wrote:
[...]

Clyde Lyman
I got that and I was never a member of SourceForge

On 06/09/2017 05:49 AM, Clyde Lyman wrote:
> I got that and I was never a member of SourceForge

You may not have realized it, but yes, you are a member - Sourceforge
hosts the audacity-users that we're on right now.

I get occasional ping mails from list hosts on other mail lists I get.
It's not unusual, they're just maintaining their subscriber lists.

*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: Did everyone get this email on the list or is this a fishing email

Linda W.
Clyde Lyman wrote:
> I got that and I was never a member of SourceForge
----
    Never said 'member', but user.  This list (audacity) is hosted
on sourceforge, thus you are using sourceforge in order to send & receive
messages to other list members.

    People probably got the message if they haven't visited the site for
"some" period of time, vs. those who visit the site now and then to check
out what other software is on the site (or to download new versions of
audacity) were recognized as still being "around", thus no message.

-l

*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: Did everyone get this email on the list or is this a fishing email

Billy Geiger-4
Yes, Clyde, but you "triggered" it....

Possibly by joining in on a conversation....

[hidden email]

        Billy Geiger
        Winder, GA.
      (40 miles east
         of Atlanta)

On Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 12:25 PM, L A Walsh <[hidden email]> wrote:
Clyde Lyman wrote:
[...]

zahra a
hi.
i also recieved it.
is it a trustworthy email ofr fishing?
i dont know what should i do with this email.
i want to be member of this list and i was afraiding of fishing emails too.
could someone please help me?
thanks so much for your help and God bless you all.

On 6/9/17, Billy Geiger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, Clyde, but you "triggered" it....
>
> Possibly by joining in on a conversation....
>

> [hidden email]
>
>         Billy Geiger
>         Winder, GA.
>       (40 miles east
>          of Atlanta)
>
> On Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 12:25 PM, L A Walsh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Clyde Lyman wrote:
>>
>>> I got that and I was never a member of SourceForge
>>>
>> ----
>>    Never said 'member', but user.  This list (audacity) is hosted
>> on sourceforge, thus you are using sourceforge in order to send & receive
>> messages to other list members.
>>
>>    People probably got the message if they haven't visited the site for
>> "some" period of time, vs. those who visit the site now and then to check
>> out what other software is on the site (or to download new versions of
>> audacity) were recognized as still being "around", thus no message.
>>
>> -l

>> ------------------
>> *********** ASKING FOR HELP *************
>>
>> When asking for help on this list, please include the following
>> information, so we can
>> help you properly:
>>
>> * What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS
>> 10.5.1)
>>
>> * Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help
>> > About
>>   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)
>>
>> * If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with,
>> and how is it
>>   connected to the computer?
>>
>> Mailing list: [hidden email]
>> To UNSUBSCRIBE, use the form at the bottom of this web page:

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: Did everyone get this email on the list or is this a fishing email

Clyde Lyman
SourceForge is a home for open source apps, I've known of it for years, but did not know they had a way to join. They did go through a period where they were a major source of bundled crpaware but have changed on that

The way to toell a phishing scam is that they ask for one of your existing passwords or other personal data they can use to get into places where they can get money or other personal data that ultimately leads to money

On 6/19/2017 7:12 AM, zahra a wrote:
> hi.
> i also recieved it.
> is it a trustworthy email ofr fishing?
> i dont know what should i do with this email.
> i want to be member of this list and i was afraiding of fishing emails too.
> could someone please help me?
> thanks so much for your help and God bless you all.

I checked out the source of the original email. It was sent by
slashdotmedia, which owns Sourceforge. All the web links in the email
really did point to Sourceforge, not to some questionable address.
Sourceforge hosts the Audacity list - you can see that in the "To"
address of every message from this list. Most mail lists I'm on
occasionally ping its members in order to weed out inactive addresses.
This is not unusual. I'm confident that the message is legitimate, and I
felt comfortable responding to it. It would be nice if the list
administrator would speak up and confirm it, but I don't think you or we
have anything to worry about. It's not a phish.