Direct page link for app to target for "Error mot well-formed ..."

Direct page link for app to target for "Error mot well-formed ..."

Peter Sampson-2
Hi Steve,

I have just created a standalone page for dealing with the error message
"Error: not well-formed (invalid token) at line x" - see:
http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Error:_not_well-formed_(invalid_token)_at_line_x
I don't think the app currently has a link for this error message - but it would
be great if you could see your way to add one - this error crops up quite a lot
in queries in the Forum from puzzled users.

I have left a stub behind in the FAQ page, which links to the new page:
http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/FAQ:Errors#Why_do_I_get_.22Error:_not_well-formed_.28invalid_token.29_at_line_x.22.3F

I also hyphenated "well-formed" in the documentation as the error message has such hyphenation.

Cheers,

Re: Direct page link for app to target for "Error mot well-formed ..."

On 22 May 2017 at 19:18, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> I have just created a standalone page for dealing with the error message
> "Error: not well-formed (invalid token) at line x" - see:
> http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Error:_not_well-formed_(invalid_token)_at_line_x
> I don't think the app currently has a link for this error message - but it
> would
> be great if you could see your way to add one - this error crops up quite a
> lot
> in queries in the Forum from puzzled users.
>
> I have left a stub behind in the FAQ page, which links to the new page:
> http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/FAQ:Errors#Why_do_I_get_.22Error:_not_well-formed_.28invalid_token.29_at_line_x.22.3F
>
> I also hyphenated "well-formed" in the documentation as the error message
> has such hyphenation.

Hi Peter,

Read as HTML, your links go to the "error opening sound device" pages
but never mind.

There is at least one other common message for this type of error of
having &#<characters or numbers>; in the project XML:

"Error: reference to invalid character number at line ..."  I'm not sure how
to distinguish when each message occurs.

Re: Direct page link for app to target for "Error mot well-formed ..."

Stevethefiddle
On 25 May 2017 at 02:36, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 22 May 2017 at 19:18, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Steve,
>>
>> I have just created a standalone page for dealing with the error message
>> "Error: not well-formed (invalid token) at line x" - see:
>> http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Error:_not_well-formed_(invalid_token)_at_line_x
>> I don't think the app currently has a link for this error message - but it
>> would
>> be great if you could see your way to add one - this error crops up quite a
>> lot
>> in queries in the Forum from puzzled users.
>>
>> I have left a stub behind in the FAQ page, which links to the new page:
>> http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/FAQ:Errors#Why_do_I_get_.22Error:_not_well-formed_.28invalid_token.29_at_line_x.22.3F
>>
>> I also hyphenated "well-formed" in the documentation as the error message
>> has such hyphenation.
>
> Hi Peter,
>
> Read as HTML, your links go to the "error opening sound device" pages
> but never mind.
>
> There is at least one other common message for this type of error of
> having &#<characters or numbers>; in the project XML:
>
> "Error: reference to invalid character number at line ..."  I'm not sure how
> to distinguish when each message occurs.

This is a bit tricky because these are two of many XML read errors,
and  read errors can occur in a number of places. For example, XML
read errors may occur when reading a damaged "EQ Curve" file into the
Equalization effect.

However, the content of the page
http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Error:_not_well-formed_(invalid_token)_at_line_x
deals with the specific case of opening an AUP file, so I think we
would want the help button when either of these error messages occur
in AudacityProject::OpenFile

This is the full list of error messages, which all mean that the XML
file cannot be read (parsing the file failed) for one reason or
another:

"out of memory"
"syntax error"
"no element found"
"not well-formed (invalid token)"
"unclosed token"
"partial character"
"mismatched tag"
"duplicate attribute"
"junk after document element"
"illegal parameter entity reference"
"undefined entity"
"recursive entity reference"
"asynchronous entity"
"reference to invalid character number"
"reference to binary entity"
"reference to external entity in attribute"
"XML or text declaration not at start of entity"
"unknown encoding"
"encoding specified in XML declaration is incorrect"
"unclosed CDATA section"
"error in processing external entity reference"
"document is not standalone"
"unexpected parser state - please send a bug report"
"entity declared in parameter entity"
"requested feature requires XML_DTD support in Expat"
"cannot change setting once parsing has begun"
"unbound prefix"
"must not undeclare prefix"
"incomplete markup in parameter entity"
"XML declaration not well-formed"
"text declaration not well-formed"
"illegal character(s) in public id"
"parser suspended"
"parser not suspended"
"parsing aborted"
"parsing finished"
"cannot suspend in external parameter entity"
"reserved prefix (xml) must not be undeclared or bound to another
namespace name"
"reserved prefix (xmlns) must not be declared or undeclared"
"prefix must not be bound to one of the reserved namespace names"

Currently, AudacityProject::OpenFile will show an error dialog if any
of the above errors occur.
I don't propose that we document all of these errors as some are
extremely rare, but I'm thinking we should have a common landing page
for any / all of these errors, with a TOC listing the most common
errors.

THE most common is "not well-formed (invalid token)"
I've also seen on the forum: "mismatched tag" (when the XML file is truncated)
and the one that Gale mentioned: "reference to invalid character
number" (though I don't recall seeing this very often)

To recap, what I'm suggesting is that we have a landing page for AUP
parse errors (Errors thrown when opening the AUP file due to the AUP
file being damaged in some way), and that page covers the most common
reasons, the first of which is "not well-formed (invalid token)".

On 25 May 2017 at 11:40, Steve the Fiddle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>

> Currently, AudacityProject::OpenFile will show an error dialog if any
> of the above errors occur.
> I don't propose that we document all of these errors as some are
> extremely rare, but I'm thinking we should have a common landing page
> for any / all of these errors, with a TOC listing the most common
> errors.
>
> THE most common is "not well-formed (invalid token)"
> I've also seen on the forum: "mismatched tag" (when the XML file is truncated)
> and the one that Gale mentioned: "reference to invalid character
> number" (though I don't recall seeing this very often)
>
> To recap, what I'm suggesting is that we have a landing page for AUP
> parse errors (Errors thrown when opening the AUP file due to the AUP
> file being damaged in some way), and that page covers the most common
> reasons, the first of which is "not well-formed (invalid token)".

I agree the subject of the landing page should be confined to errors seen
when (re)opening or recovering the project.

I saw that huge list of XML parse errors too when I was searching.

If "not well formed" is still the most common error, then I guess it is OK
to have a TOC entry for each error type, even though the solution for
"reference to invalid character" will often be the same as for "not
well-formed" (i.e. remove all the unparsable text). To avoid duplication I
assume we would link to the relevant part of the "not well-formed" text.

There is another project reopen error now that is "quite frequent":

"`aup" is an Audacity Project file.
   Use the 'File > Open' command to open Audacity Projects" .

This error occurs (even if File > Open is used) when the project is
badly corrupted or contains only nulls. I guess the time has come
when we have to mention this error in the Manual.

If the AUP file is empty (0 kB) then the error is instead:

"File may be invalid or corrupted:"
 <path to AUP file>

On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 10:33 PM, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

to have a TOC entry for each error type, even though the solution for
"reference to invalid character" will often be the same as for "not
well-formed" (i.e. remove all the unparsable text). To avoid duplication I
assume we would link to the relevant part of the "not well-formed" text.

There is another project reopen error now that is "quite frequent":

"`aup" is an Audacity Project file.
   Use the 'File > Open' command to open Audacity Projects" .

This error occurs (even if File > Open is used) when the project is
badly corrupted or contains only nulls. I guess the time has come
when we have to mention this error in the Manual.

If the AUP file is empty (0 kB) then the error is instead:

"File may be invalid or corrupted:"
 <path to AUP file>

Re: Direct page link for app to target for "Error mot well-formed ..."

Yes but it also needs to say what to do about the "reference to invalid
character number at line x" error. At the moment I think the plan is
to have a TOC item for that error that links back up to a modified
http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Errors_on_opening_or_recovering_an_Audacity_project#meta
 to say that the answer is to remove anything that starts
with &# and ends with colon.

Another approach:

Change the item in the TOC to say:

" "not well-formed (invalid token)" or "reference to invalid character number"
at line x "

In the first green box, split the first bullet into two to say something
like:

* The project contains imported files whose metadata (like artist or genre)
   contains control characters meant for use by another player application.
   This mostly occurs with iTunes files on Mac where the project was
   created in an older version of Audacity. This usually creates the "(invalid
   token") error.
* The project contains imported files whose metadata contains symbols
   that Audacity cannot display. This may create either the "(invalid token)"
   or "invalid character number" error.

If so, then the section "Solution for error caused by control characters"
needs to be renamed as "Solution for error caused by control characters
or symbols". Then expand the section to mention that it covers symbols
that can't be displayed, and say that for symbols there will usually be five
characters between the &# and colon, not four as for control characters.

You could perhaps try it both ways in your sandbox?

"Mismatched tag" is worth adding too as mentioned by Steve, but I think
that is user error most times (manual editing of the AUP file).

Gale

On 26 May 2017 at 17:43, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> to have a TOC entry for each error type, even though the solution for
>> "reference to invalid character" will often be the same as for "not
>> well-formed" (i.e. remove all the unparsable text). To avoid duplication I
>> assume we would link to the relevant part of the "not well-formed" text.
>>
>> There is another project reopen error now that is "quite frequent":
>>
>> "`aup" is an Audacity Project file.
>>    Use the 'File > Open' command to open Audacity Projects" .
>>
>> This error occurs (even if File > Open is used) when the project is
>> badly corrupted or contains only nulls. I guess the time has come
>> when we have to mention this error in the Manual.
>>
>> If the AUP file is empty (0 kB) then the error is instead:
>>
>> "File may be invalid or corrupted:"
>>  <path to AUP file>

Re: Direct page link for app to target for "Error mot well-formed ..."

OK I tried Gale'e second suggestion - you can see it on the Talk page which I'm
using as a sandbox for theis for now:
http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Talk:Errors_on_opening_or_recovering_an_Audacity_project

However I find myself strongly prerring the earlir version (now fleshed out a bit)
where  there is a separate entry in the TOC and separate H2 for each error
message on the page.

I think it's better to have separate entries for the separate messages (even if that
involves a little duplication", Remember the user comes here with one and just one
error message in mind - merging the two together adds potential confusion at a time
when they are already confused. It also makes the H2 title and the TOC entry rather
overlong.

See the page here:
http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Errors_on_opening_or_recovering_an_Audacity_project

The H2 section on "invalid character ..."
http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Errors_on_opening_or_recovering_an_Audacity_project#invalid
may (or may not) be correct - so some editorial help here from someone well-versed
in this would be much appreciated.

We still have to provide some words at the beginning to say thgat we re not covering
all the messages that can generate this class of error - just the most common and most
egregious.

But if we're are happy with this page Steve can then use this page as a target page
for the iconic "?" help button in the error message.

And I can remove the page:
http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Error_opening_sound_device
and update the link in the FAQ.

Question:  do we need an additional FAQ for:
"Reference to invalid character number at line x" ?

Cheers,
Peter.

On 27 May 2017 at 14:53, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> OK I tried Gale'e second suggestion - you can see it on the Talk page which
> I'm
> using as a sandbox for theis for now:
> http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Talk:Errors_on_opening_or_recovering_an_Audacity_project
>
> However I find myself strongly prerring the earlir version (now fleshed out
> a bit)
> where  there is a separate entry in the TOC and separate H2 for each error
> message on the page.
>
> I think it's better to have separate entries for the separate messages (even
> if that
> involves a little duplication", Remember the user comes here with one and
> just one
> error message in mind - merging the two together adds potential confusion at
> a time
> when they are already confused. It also makes the H2 title and the TOC entry
> rather
> overlong.
>
> See the page here:
> http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Errors_on_opening_or_recovering_an_Audacity_project

Thanks, Peter.

OK I think the argument for one TOC entry per error message is perfectly
reasonable, but as you can see there is a chunk of duplication now.

I don't think we can rule out "Not well-formed" occurring with some symbols
too. But the ANSI projects problem does not cause "invalid character
number" to the best of my belief. This may give you scope to have only
limited text for "invalid character number" and instead link back to the
section in "not well-formed" about removing characters that look like &#....;

> The H2 section on "invalid character ..."
> http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Errors_on_opening_or_recovering_an_Audacity_project#invalid
> may (or may not) be correct - so some editorial help here from someone
> well-versed in this would be much appreciated.

I've added new sections for some of the not too rare errors.

> We still have to provide some words at the beginning to say thgat we re not
> covering
> all the messages that can generate this class of error - just the most
> common and most
> egregious.

Does http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Errors_on_opening_or_recovering_an_Audacity_project#others

cover that now?

> But if we're are happy with this page Steve can then use this page as a
> target page
> for the iconic "?" help button in the error message.
>
> And I can remove the page:
> http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Error_opening_sound_device
> and update the link in the FAQ.

Why do you want to remove that? I thought the idea was to have a separate
page to avoid having an anchor link.

> Question:  do we need an additional FAQ for:
> "Reference to invalid character number at line x" ?

I don't think so - see above. The new page is about all (common) errors that
occur when opening or reopening a project.

Thanks

Gale

On Sat, May 27, 2017 at 9:11 PM, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 27 May 2017 at 14:53, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> OK I tried Gale'e second suggestion - you can see it on the Talk page which
> I'm
> using as a sandbox for theis for now:
> http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Talk:Errors_on_opening_or_recovering_an_Audacity_project
>
> However I find myself strongly prerring the earlir version (now fleshed out
> a bit)
> where  there is a separate entry in the TOC and separate H2 for each error
> message on the page.
>
> I think it's better to have separate entries for the separate messages (even
> if that
> involves a little duplication", Remember the user comes here with one and
> just one
> error message in mind - merging the two together adds potential confusion at
> a time
> when they are already confused. It also makes the H2 title and the TOC entry
> rather
> overlong.
>
> See the page here:
> http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Errors_on_opening_or_recovering_an_Audacity_project

Thanks, Peter.

OK I think the argument for one TOC entry per error message is perfectly
reasonable, but as you can see there is a chunk of duplication now.

I don't think we can rule out "Not well-formed" occurring with some symbols
too. But the ANSI projects problem does not cause "invalid character
number" to the best of my belief. This may give you scope to have only
limited text for "invalid character number" and instead link back to the
section in "not well-formed" about removing characters that look like &#....;

Let me have  think abot this some more ...

> The H2 section on "invalid character ..."
> http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Errors_on_opening_or_recovering_an_Audacity_project#invalid
> may (or may not) be correct - so some editorial help here from someone
> well-versed in this would be much appreciated.

I've added new sections for some of the not too rare errors.

Yes, I saw that - thanks for that

> We still have to provide some words at the beginning to say thgat we re not
> covering
> all the messages that can generate this class of error - just the most
> common and most
> egregious.

Does http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Errors_on_opening_or_recovering_an_Audacity_project#others

cover that now?

I'll ponder this later too ...

> But if we're are happy with this page Steve can then use this page as a
> target page
> for the iconic "?" help button in the error message.
>
> And I can remove the page:
> http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Error_opening_sound_device
> and update the link in the FAQ.

Why do you want to remove that? I thought the idea was to have a separate
page to avoid having an anchor link.

Erm, the whole reason for writing this page was that Steve pointed out to me that
this was a generic error message that could be generated in many different ways
and that thus the iconic "?" help button would need a generic page for its target.

That was certainly my understanding - and my motivation for kicking this page off.

> Question:  do we need an additional FAQ for:
> "Reference to invalid character number at line x" ?

I don't think so - see above. The new page is about all (common) errors that
occur when opening or reopening a project.

Fair enough.

Thanks

And thanks for your help with the editing of this new page - much appreciated.

Gale

On 27 May 2017 at 22:39, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>

> I'll ponder this later too ...
>

>> > But if we're are happy with this page Steve can then use this page as a
>> > target page
>> > for the iconic "?" help button in the error message.
>> >
>> > And I can remove the page:
>> > http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Error_opening_sound_device
>> > and update the link in the FAQ.
>>
>> Why do you want to remove that? I thought the idea was to have a separate
>> page to avoid having an anchor link.
>

> Erm, the whole reason for writing this page was that Steve pointed out to me
> that
> this was a generic error message that could be generated in many different
> ways
> and that thus the iconic "?" help button would need a generic page for its
> target.
>
> That was certainly my understanding - and my motivation for kicking this

I still don't see the connection from this thread to error opening
sound device.

Gale

On Sun, May 28, 2017 at 2:41 AM, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]
>> > target page
>> > for the iconic "?" help button in the error message.
>> >
>> > And I can remove the page:
>> > http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Error_opening_sound_device
>> > and update the link in the FAQ.
>>
>> Why do you want to remove that? I thought the idea was to have a separate
>> page to avoid having an anchor link.
>

> Erm, the whole reason for writing this page was that Steve pointed out to me
> that
> this was a generic error message that could be generated in many different
> ways
> and that thus the iconic "?" help button would need a generic page for its
> target.
>
> That was certainly my understanding - and my motivation for kicking this
> page off.

I still don't see the connection from this thread to error opening

of course is not related to this discussion - and it stays.

I was mistakenly thinking about the single error message page that turned
into the multi-message one that we are now working on - so in this case
there is nothing to delete.

Sorry for the noise.