Quantcast

Direct recording

Juan Linares
Hello,

I was wondering if it is possible to use Audacity to record directly from my sound card, for example, the music I'm listening on my computer.

This will mean to configure Audacity to record directly from the card output instead of the input, but I couldn't find how to do that neither could I find information on how to do this elsewhere.

Thanks.

Re: Direct recording

audacity-help mailing list

    | From Juan Linares
    | Sat, 14 Apr 2007 16:42:04 -0400
    | Subject: [Audacity-help] Direct recording
    | I was wondering if it is possible to use Audacity to record directly from my
    | sound card, for example, the music I'm listening on my computer.
    | This will mean to configure Audacity to record directly from the card output
    | instead of the input, but I couldn't find how to do that neither could I
    | find information on how to do this elsewhere.

If you are on Windows and Linux, try to use the source option on the Mixer
Toolbar dropdown selector:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/onlinehelp-1.2/toolbar_mixer.htm

meant for recording the output. This is usually called one of these (but may be
called something else):

    Loopback
    Stereo mix
    Sum
    Wave Out
    What U hear
    Mixer

If you don't have such an option and you are on Windows, try going to the
system mixer and see if you can reveal/select it. For more help on this see
"Windows Control Panel issues" on this page:
http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=Mixer_Toolbar_Issues#Windows_Problems

If you are on a Mac, we generally recommend you use a third party program
like Wiretap
http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/wiretap/

or Audio Hijack
http://www.rogueamoeba.com/audiohijack/

to record what the computer is playing to an AIFF file. If you want to edit this
recorded AIFF file, you can import it into Audacity with Project > Import Audio.
If you use Wiretap, turn off "compression" in its Preferences if you wish to import
the AIFF into Audacity.

You can also connect a cable from the line-out of the computer to the line-in
and set Audacity to record from line-in. This will mean you cannot hear what
you are recording, but you can buy a single stereo to double stereo adaptor that
will give you a jack to plug the speakers into whilst feeding in the line input.
This will always work on Windows and Linux, but may not necessarily work on
a Mac.

If you have any further questions, please tell us what operating system you are
on (e.g. Windows XP,  OS X 10.4, and if you are on OS X, whether you have an
Intel Mac or Power PC). Also please tell us what version of Audacity you are using
(see Help > About Audacity or Audacity > About Audacity in the program).

Gale Andrews

Outbound message virus free.
Tested on: 4/14/2007 10:07:12 PM