Disk Space

Colm O'Grady
Hi,

When I record vinyl tracks to my computer using Audacity there is a
line towards the bottom of the screen which states that the "disk
space remaining for recording" is a certain numer of hours and
minutes which decreases with each recording. To what does this
refer? Is it disk space on my computer or space within the Audacity
programme itself? How do I manage this space to clear more time for
recording?

Thanks for your help.

Colm

Re: Disk Space

audacity-help mailing list

    | From Colm O'Grady
    | Sun, 19 Aug 2007 14:06:54 +0000
    | Subject: [Audacity-help] Disk Space
    | When I record vinyl tracks to my computer using Audacity there is a
    | line towards the bottom of the screen which states that the "disk
    | space remaining for recording" is a certain numer of hours and
    | minutes which decreases with each recording. To what does this
    | refer? Is it disk space on my computer or space within the Audacity
    | programme itself? How do I manage this space to clear more time for
    | recording?

It is disc space on the computer, because Audacity writes the temporary
recorded data to the hard drive (specifically to the temporary directory you
have specified on the Directories tab of Preferences). See these tips on
managing the space used for your recordings and Projects:
http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=General_Tips#Recording_Length

Gale Andrews

Outbound message virus free.
Tested on: 8/19/2007 4:44:19 PM

Dan

Re: Disk Space

Dan
I'm using 1.3.5 and I can't figure out how to keep the remaining disk space from lowering. I have Audacity stored on my C drive, but I save everything to an external drive. I located the Audacity temp folder, but it was empty. How can I solve this issue?

Re: Disk Space

You can choose the Audacity temp directory on the Directories tab of Preferences. If you save a project then its data will be saved to the same directory that you save the .aup project file to.

See:
http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=File_Management_Tips

Please use our Forum if you need more help:
http://audacityteam.org/forum/

Gale