Documenting MIDI Devices Preferences

Paul has said he does not know what the Latency setting in these
Preferences does.

If we release MIDI support, can this be investigated? This is P1
in the Manual - none of this pane is documented.

Re: Documenting MIDI Devices Preferences

Peter Sampson-2
And I, personally, sadly have no idea how to document it :-(

http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/MIDI_Devices_Preferences

Peter

On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 3:41 PM, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:
Paul has said he does not know what the Latency setting in these
Preferences does.

If we release MIDI support, can this be investigated? This is P1
in the Manual - none of this pane is documented.

Re: Documenting MIDI Devices Preferences

Thanks, Poke.  I created an account on Audacity Manual for you - you
should receive a temporary password soon which you can change to
a permanent password in your preferences. Address and user name
is the same as your Bugzilla account.

I pasted in Roger's and your comment on:
http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/MIDI_Devices_Preferences .

Gale

On 6 June 2017 at 22:58, Pokechu22
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'd be willing to write some of the documentation (I don't know what all the
> different values mean, but I can give a brief account).  However, I
> currently don't have an account (and can't register one myself) - if someone
> could help me register, that'd be nice.
>
> From my understanding (this might not be exact, though), the latency field
> is there to allow compensation for a midi device that has latency between
> receiving events and actually playing them - it's a way to manually
> synchronize audio.
>
> On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 7:46 AM, Peter Sampson
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> And I, personally, sadly have no idea how to document it :-(
>>
>> http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/MIDI_Devices_Preferences
>>
>> Peter
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 3:41 PM, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Paul has said he does not know what the Latency setting in these
>>> Preferences does.
>>>
>>> If we release MIDI support, can this be investigated? This is P1
>>> in the Manual - none of this pane is documented.
>>>

>>> Gale

Re: Documenting MIDI Devices Preferences

Robert Hänggi
Hi

I am not sure what the Host/Device boxes are supposed to display.
I'm on Windows 10. As you might know, there isn't a Midi Mapper after Windows 7.
Win 7: Device 0 = Midi mapper, Device 1 = MS GS Wavetable snth, Device
2 = External or software synth.
From Windows 8 on, Device 0 is the Microsoft  GS Wavetable Synth.
However, it isn't listed under devices, only "Microsoft MIDI Mapper".
It also doesn't work when I choose it--I thought it would take the
crappy software synth of MS.
The other devices seem to work, the Behringer MIDI out and the
software synth BASSMIDI (two buses).

Robert