Documenting MIDI Playback

Peter Sampson-2
I have been working today on updtaing documentation on MIDI playback.

See this page (which is linked to from the front page):
http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Playing_and_Recording#midi

It links to:
http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Note_Tracks
And many thanks to Poke for his work on this page - much appreciated

There is also:
http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/File_Menu:_Import
which needs updating

At this point in time I am unsure if MIDI playback works on Linux or not.

This should be enough to get us started on this topic for a KTT/Beta I'm thinking.

Cheers,

Re: Documenting MIDI Playback

Paul Licameli

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 2:16 PM, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have been working today on updtaing documentation on MIDI playback.

See this page (which is linked to from the front page):
http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Playing_and_Recording#midi

"MIDI files can be imported into Audacity with File > Import MIDI... to a Note Track."

Also by drag-and-drop of files.  Very newly.

Shall we link to the external description of setting up the IAC bus, or give our own paraphrase?

And many thanks to Poke for his work on this page - much appreciated

The description of the click on TrackControlPanel is incorrect -- it does not select "all this track's audio."  It never changes the selected times.  It does change the set of selected tracks.  That goes for other kinds of tracks besides Note too.

I see this other page has the same inaccuracy.  http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Audio_Tracks

Does Wiki formatting give you some means to "insert this other page" (rather than linking), so that we can get the common parts for Wave and Note tracks correct in one place and reuse the text?

On 7/20/2017 7:16 PM, Peter Sampson wrote:
I have been working today on updtaing documentation on MIDI playback.

See this page (which is linked to from the front page):
http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Playing_and_Recording#midi

It links to:
http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Note_Tracks
And many thanks to Poke for his work on this page - much appreciated

There is also:
http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/File_Menu:_Import
which needs updating

And there is a section on the New Features page:
http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/New_features_in_this_release#midi

At this point in time I am unsure if MIDI playback works on Linux or not.

This should be enough to get us started on this topic for a KTT/Beta I'm
thinking.
This needs updating too for MIDI.
http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/FAQ:Opening_and_Saving_Files#midi

Drag and drop a MIDI file into audacity works now and creates the note track.  Very nice.
--James.

Cheers,

Re: Documenting MIDI Playback

Pokechu22-3

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 11:30 AM, Paul Licameli <[hidden email]> wrote:

Does Wiki formatting give you some means to "insert this other page" (rather than linking), so that we can get the common parts for Wave and Note tracks correct in one place and reuse the text?

Yes, via transclusion (usually done with templates, but if I recall correctly it can also be done with stuff in the main article namespace).  I'm not sure if it'd be convenient to use that mechanism though (you have to find and edit the template or article; if I recall correctly it doesn't give you a direct edit link).

--Poke

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 7:30 PM, Paul Licameli <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 2:16 PM, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have been working today on updtaing documentation on MIDI playback.

See this page (which is linked to from the front page):
http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Playing_and_Recording#midi

"MIDI files can be imported into Audacity with File > Import MIDI... to a Note Track."

Also by drag-and-drop of files.  Very newly.

OK I'll add that in - after I've gotten to test it  ;-))

Shall we link to the external description of setting up the IAC bus, or give our own paraphrase?

And many thanks to Poke for his work on this page - much appreciated

The description of the click on TrackControlPanel is incorrect -- it does not select "all this track's audio."

Oh yes it does - Audacity has always done that with audio tracks when you click in the TCP - and does it too
when I test with Note tracks

 It never changes the selected times.

Oh yes it does - the Selection Toolbar updates nicely.

It does change the set of selected tracks.  That goes for other kinds of tracks besides Note too.

I see this other page has the same inaccuracy.  http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Audio_Tracks

I've always used that functionalty a lot on audio tracks - it's always worked.

Does Wiki formatting give you some means to "insert this other page" (rather than linking), so that we can get the common parts for Wave and Note tracks correct in one place and reuse the text?

You can use templates (as I have done for instance with ednotes to warn that a page is linked to from the app - and
James is a fan and user of templates too) -but for just two instances it's somewhat complicated and leads to opacity
for later editors - so I'd prefer just to stick with the duplication for just these two instances.

Peter.

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 7:34 PM, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Yepper - there is a P1 on that page for that (been there for a while) so it won't get overlooked.

In fact it possibly just needs removing as a FAQ - let me think about that.

Drag and drop a MIDI file into audacity works now and creates the note track.  Very nice.

:-)

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 7:41 PM, Pokechu22 <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 11:30 AM, Paul Licameli <[hidden email]> wrote:

Does Wiki formatting give you some means to "insert this other page" (rather than linking), so that we can get the common parts for Wave and Note tracks correct in one place and reuse the text?

Yes, via transclusion (usually done with templates,

Yes Poke, we do use templates for tha in the Manual

I used it for a repetitive ednote to flag a page as "linked to in the app" to warn edirors not to rename/move/delete
the page(s).

James uses templates a lot for Prefs images/imagemaps and similarly for menu images.

Peter

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 3:27 PM, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Ugh, what was I thinking.  I was thinking of Ctrl+click or the Enter key for some reason.  Never mind.

Point remains though that there is some commonality with other track types.

PRL

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 2:30 PM, Paul Licameli <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 2:16 PM, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have been working today on updtaing documentation on MIDI playback.

See this page (which is linked to from the front page):
http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Playing_and_Recording#midi

"MIDI files can be imported into Audacity with File > Import MIDI... to a Note Track."

Also by drag-and-drop of files.  Very newly.

Shall we link to the external description of setting up the IAC bus, or give our own paraphrase?

I'll say it more boldly:  I think the instructions for setting up IAC should be in our own words.

Also, you need a hardware or software synthesizer on Mac to hear anything, but it is not a requirement to use SimpleSynth.  We mention this program as an example that is free and easy to install.

Re: Documenting MIDI Playback

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 2:16 PM, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have been working today on updtaing documentation on MIDI playback.

See this page (which is linked to from the front page):
http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Playing_and_Recording#midi

It links to:
http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Note_Tracks
And many thanks to Poke for his work on this page - much appreciated

There is also:
http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/File_Menu:_Import
which needs updating

At this point in time I am unsure if MIDI playback works on Linux or not.

This should be enough to get us started on this topic for a KTT/Beta I'm thinking.

Cheers,
Peter.

Other things I notice:

  1. You mention Shift+M as opening the drop-down menu in the focused track.  That keystroke could of course be reassigned in Preferences, as could many keystrokes.  Is it a consistent convention in the manual that we are allowed to mention the default key assignments, without mentioning that the user may vary them?
  2. If it is corrrect to mention Shift+M, then would consistency require the other shortcuts for Mute and Solo?
  3. Mute and Solo also have Shift+Click actions.
  4. Ditto 2 and 3 for audio tracks.
  5. Regarding SyncLock, as I mentioned elsewhere, the left and right stretch can cause sync-lock adjustment of other tracks in the group.

That's all about Note tracks.