Download of Audacity; unrecognized developer message?

Download of Audacity; unrecognized developer message?

Jeff
Hello,

I just downloaded Audacity for Mac OS X from the SouceForge site and again from
the Audacity site. Both produced a message on my Mac OS X Yosemite installation
that the audacity.app was from an un recognized developer. So I have not used it
as yet. Is there an explanation?.

Also, I am initially interested in finding out if I can view/edit metadata in mp3 files
with Audacity?

I am developing a javascript/html5 mp3 player and am having difficulty with data
that I believe should be in the mp3 file’s metadata.

Thank you for time and attention;
JK
*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: Download of Audacity; unrecognized developer message?

Robert Poland
> On Dec 27, 2016, at 3:58:PM, Jeff <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I just downloaded Audacity for Mac OS X from the SouceForge site and again from
> the Audacity site. Both produced a message on my Mac OS X Yosemite installation
> that the audacity.app was from an un recognized developer. So I have not used it
> as yet. Is there an explanation?.
>
> Also, I am initially interested in finding out if I can view/edit metadata in mp3 files
> with Audacity?
>
> I am developing a javascript/html5 mp3 player and am having difficulty with data
> that I believe should be in the mp3 file’s metadata.
>
> Thank you for time and attention;
> JK

This is a common problem. Have you checked with Google?

Robert Poland
Fort Collins, CO

On Dec 27, 2016, at 4:43 PM, Robert Poland wrote:

>> On Dec 27, 2016, at 3:58:PM, Jeff <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I just downloaded Audacity for Mac OS X from the SouceForge site
>> and again from
>> the Audacity site. Both produced a message on my Mac OS X Yosemite
>> installation
>> that the audacity.app was from an un recognized developer. So I
>> have not used it
>> as yet. Is there an explanation?.
>>
>> Also, I am initially interested in finding out if I can view/edit
>> metadata in mp3 files
>> with Audacity?
>>
>> I am developing a javascript/html5 mp3 player and am having
>> difficulty with data
>> that I believe should be in the mp3 file’s metadata.
>>
>> Thank you for time and attention;
>> JK
>
> This is a common problem. Have you checked with Google?
>
> Robert Poland
> Fort Collins, CO

Thank you, I didn't think it would be that easy to get a handle on
"unrecognized developer" in this context.

JK

> *********** ASKING FOR HELP *************
>
> When asking for help on this list, please include the following
> information, so we can
> help you properly:
>
> * What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or
> Mac OS X 10.5.1)
>
> * Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using
> (Help > About
>   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)
>
> * If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording
> with, and how is it
>   connected to the computer?
>
> Mailing list: [hidden email]
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, use the form at the bottom of this web page:

*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: Download of Audacity; unrecognized developer message?

We expect the next 2.1.3 release of Audacity to be codesigned with
an Apple Developer account. If so Audacity will be directly openable
as long as Gatekeeper is not set to "App Store" only.  If it is so set,
then to open Audacity you will have to right-click or CTRL-click over
Audacity, choose "Open" then click the "Open" button, which is
also the solution now.

There is some information about Audacity metadata limitations here:

* http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Release_Notes_2.1.2#metadata

* http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/metadata_editor.html .

Gale

On 27 December 2016 at 22:58, Jeff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just downloaded Audacity for Mac OS X from the SouceForge site and again from
> the Audacity site. Both produced a message on my Mac OS X Yosemite installation
> that the audacity.app was from an un recognized developer. So I have not used it
> as yet. Is there an explanation?.
>
> Also, I am initially interested in finding out if I can view/edit metadata in mp3 files
> with Audacity?
>
> I am developing a javascript/html5 mp3 player and am having difficulty with data
> that I believe should be in the mp3 file’s metadata.
>
> Thank you for time and attention;
> JK
> *********** ASKING FOR HELP *************
>
> When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
> help you properly:
>
> * What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)
>
> * Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
>    Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)
>
> * If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
>    connected to the computer?
>
> Mailing list: [hidden email]
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, use the form at the bottom of this web page:

*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: Download of Audacity; unrecognized developer message?

Jeff
Thanks for the info:
I did finish installing and read some of the documentation and found
that to export mp3 there
had to be an addition installed. That I did.

I have been a hobbyist and fantasy land rock/blues guitar star and had
home recorded on
cassette tapes. So within the last 10 years I decided to digitized
many of my old recordings.
I did that  with Macs Logic Pro. Its been a while since I worked with
Logic and it is a big program.
So finding all the nooks and crannies is difficult.

Since then I have taken up web related development and had programmed
a Flash/ActionScript
mp3 player. Now that app is outdated, so I am trying to program the
player in javascript/html5 and
am having problems with it. That brings me to this, along with
intending to record a bunch of new
music. But for right now I need to figure out from mp3 metadata if
that is the source of the javascript
programming problem. It appears to be. The media element duration
property returns NaN, and
the currentTime property always return 0 and causes Firefox, at least,
to choke, complain,
and stop working.

I don't expect help with javascript programming problems here, unless
there's an audio engineer/developer
on this list who has something to enlighten me with.

I carry on
Thanks for time and attention, and helpful info and suggestions;
Jeff K

On Dec 27, 2016, at 6:50 PM, Gale Andrews wrote:

> [...]
>  Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)
>
> * If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording
> with, and how is it
>  connected to the computer?
>
> Mailing list: [hidden email]
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, use the form at the bottom of this web page:

*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: Download of Audacity; unrecognized developer message?

zahra a
hello every one.
may i ask a question now?
do you know the date for release of audacity 2.1.3?
thanks so much and pardon me to asked it here in this post.

On 12/28/16, Jeffry Killen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>  connected to the computer?
>>
>> Mailing list: [hidden email]
>> To UNSUBSCRIBE, use the form at the bottom of this web page:

> *********** ASKING FOR HELP *************
>
> When asking for help on this list, please include the following information,
> so we can
> help you properly:
>
> * What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X
> 10.5.1)
>
> * Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help >
> About
>    Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)
>
> * If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and
> how is it
>    connected to the computer?
>
> Mailing list: [hidden email]
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, use the form at the bottom of this web page:

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: Download of Audacity; unrecognized developer message?

Bob Cavanaugh
Jeff,
Audacity does have a metadata editor, but I've had mixed results with it.
I've seen artist info, but when year info is in the metadata of the file,
that doesn't always come up.

On 28 December 2016 at 18:19, Bob cavanaugh <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Jeff,
> Audacity does have a metadata editor, but I've had mixed results with it.
> I've seen artist info, but when year info is in the metadata of the file,
> that doesn't always come up.

Most likely that is due to one of the known issues noted here:
http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Release_Notes_2.1.2#metadata .

Gale

It is helpful to use the "Compose" button in your e-mail client to start
a new topic and give it a title relevant to what you are asking.

This makes it easier for those searching online archives of this list
for answers.

There is no set date for 2.1.3 release yet. We are still working on
problems with Gatekeeper intermittently blocking plugins and
libraries on macOS Sierra 10.12.1 and later.

Gale