EXPERIMENTAL_MIDI_OUT + EXPERIMENTAL_DA

Paul Licameli
I see James has introduced EXPERIMENTAL_DA.

On Mac at least, I already see that there are changes of appearance even with EXPERIMENTAL_DA disabled.  Sliders look different, their thumbs are not symmetrical and the scale is a bold line without ticks.  The empty part of the track panel is colored differently.  The Mute, Solo, menu, and minimize buttons of a selected track do not change their color with the control panel.  The minimize buttons are not drawn in the same position.  The menu button appears a bit taller and obscures some of the text below it.  This list is not meant to be exhaustive.

When I enable both EXPERIMENTAL_DA and EXPERIMENTAL_MIDI_OUT, I see that the Wave track now stacks its mute and solo buttons but a note track does not.

Re: EXPERIMENTAL_MIDI_OUT + EXPERIMENTAL_DA

James Crook
Sorry I couldn't get to post an email about it until now.

We agreed during 2.1.3 that we'd be offering the dark theme as an option in 2.2.0.  The problems are pretty visible, but are actually 'minor' compared to the main task of making the changes at all.  Returning numbers to the meter is my top priority, and then Sync-Lock, then sorting out some of the colour changes that you and Gale have commented on.  I also want to make it so that a theme change completes without a restart.

I will sort out the stacking of buttons for mute/solo with EXPERIMENTAL_MIDI_OUT.  Making sure that MIDI is compatible with the DA changes was one of the motivations for checking it in now rather than later.

I intend that actual release will offer light, dark and custom, and we can provide a theme pack with 'classic', light and dark ImageCache.png, and instructions for modding.  I'm open to being argued into offering classic, dark and custom instead, or all four but on a drop down.  I too feel that four radio buttons like that is too many.

--James.

On 4/3/2017 1:48 AM, Paul Licameli wrote:
I see James has introduced EXPERIMENTAL_DA.

On Mac at least, I already see that there are changes of appearance even
with EXPERIMENTAL_DA disabled.  Sliders look different, their thumbs are
not symmetrical and the scale is a bold line without ticks.  The empty part
of the track panel is colored differently.  The Mute, Solo, menu, and
minimize buttons of a selected track do not change their color with the
control panel.  The minimize buttons are not drawn in the same position.
The menu button appears a bit taller and obscures some of the text below
it.  This list is not meant to be exhaustive.

When I enable both EXPERIMENTAL_DA and EXPERIMENTAL_MIDI_OUT, I see that
the Wave track now stacks its mute and solo buttons but a note track does
not.

Re: EXPERIMENTAL_MIDI_OUT + EXPERIMENTAL_DA

Peter Sampson-2
James wrote:
> I'm open to being argued into offering classic, dark and custom instead

please don't - I'm already finding myself liking the Light theme *greatly*

and more choice IMO

Re: EXPERIMENTAL_MIDI_OUT + EXPERIMENTAL_DA

I think the "deal" was that Classic is offered by default, so Classic
should be a choice in Preferences.

"Light" looks unfinished to me. It offers the new buttons but is
darker than "Classic". I would be fine with  "Classic", "Dark"
and "Custom" or those plus a more straightforward "Classic/New
buttons". That's unless we tweak "Light".  Perhaps it should be
light blue or something like that?

Don't forget James that I asked you about a High Contrast Theme
a while ago. We don't support OS High Contrast Themes properly,
so this seems a good opportunity to provide our own as a choice
(even if it has to be loaded though "Custom"). I "assume"  a dark
background High Contrast Theme would be most useful, but perhaps
David has a view.

Gale

On 4/3/2017 4:34 PM, Gale Andrews wrote:

> I think the "deal" was that Classic is offered by default, so Classic
> should be a choice in Preferences.
>
> "Light" looks unfinished to me. It offers the new buttons but is
> darker than "Classic". I would be fine with  "Classic", "Dark"
> and "Custom" or those plus a more straightforward "Classic/New
> buttons". That's unless we tweak "Light".  Perhaps it should be
> light blue or something like that?
>
> Don't forget James that I asked you about a High Contrast Theme
> a while ago. We don't support OS High Contrast Themes properly,
> so this seems a good opportunity to provide our own as a choice
> (even if it has to be loaded though "Custom"). I "assume"  a dark
> background High Contrast Theme would be most useful, but perhaps
> David has a view.
A high contrast theme could be loaded through 'Custom'.

The images and colours are still moving around - and I see the need for
new colours to support MIDI too -  so I don't want to hand out
ImageCache.pngs for modding far and wide yet without a health warning
about that.  But that IS how we would do it.   I'm happy to provide a
proof-of-concept hi-contrast theme or show you how to tweak an
ImageCache.png to get that.

--James

Gale wrote:
>I think the "deal" was that Classic is offered by default, so Classic
>should be a choice in Preferences.

I think you are misunderstanding me Gale.  I was in no way asking James
to remove "Classic" - far from it, and I think the "Classic" theme needs to
be as much like the existing 2.1.3 look as possible if not exactly the same.
And I'm expecting it to be the default (though personally I would prefer t0
see one of the more modern-looking themes to be the default to give Audacity
a fresh look by default with the next release - tha analogy here is when we
upgraded the meters, made the new meters default and offered the okd RMS
meters as an option).

Rather what I wsa appealing to James was not to remove the "Light" theme
Yes it has a few rough edges but I am confident in James' ability to smooth
those out.  It does give Audacity a more modern look without changing our
traditional ("Classic") colorway too much.

>Perhaps it should be light blue or something like that?.

Pehaps we could have that too in addition to light and call it "Blue" theme.

Cheers,

Re: EXPERIMENTAL_MIDI_OUT + EXPERIMENTAL_DA

I'm happy to try out a High Contrast Theme when one is ready.

Let me know at the time if I can give it to some of the complainants
to test, so we get their feedback.

Gale

I was replying to James who said:

"I intend that actual release will offer light, dark and custom"

i.e no Classic theme.

So I am "vehemently agreeing" with Peter that Classic theme
should be retained and should be the theme we had in 2.1.3
release.

Gale