Echo recordings.

Elston Gresham
Hello,

When I record streaming audio on my computer, (windows 2000), with audacity 1.2.6

I get an echo effect when I playback the recording. I hear two beats instead of one.

What is the cause and what can I do to clean this up.

Thanks for your help.

Elston Gresham

Building a website is a piece of cake.

Re: Echo recordings.

audacity-help mailing list

    | From Elston Gresham
    | Wed, 5 Sep 2007 14:34:57 -0700 (PDT)
    | Subject: [Audacity-help] Echo recordings.
    | When I record streaming audio on my computer, (windows 2000), with
    | audacity 1.2.6 I get an echo effect when I playback the recording. I hear
    | two beats instead of one. What is the cause and what can I do to clean
    | this up.

Please turn off "Software Playthrough" on the Audio I/O tab of Audacity
Preferences - this should not be used when recording streaming audio or
other sounds playing on the computer. This option is meant for playing
back physical inputs (e.g. microphone or line-in) whilst you are recording
from them, because without playthrough you would not be able to hear
them. But when you are recording sound playing on the computer you
must turn this option off, because you are recording the sound multiple
times (i.e. recording the original sound, then recording the playback of the
recording and so on) and so echoes are created.

You cannot effectively remove the echo from the recordings you have
already made, so you will have to record again, if it is possible to grab the
same program again.

Gale Andrews

Outbound message virus free.
Tested on: 9/6/2007 12:04:08 AM

Re: Echo recordings.

Elston Gresham
Thank you for your help, and quick response. Problem solved.

Audacity Help <[hidden email]> wrote:

| From Elston Gresham
| Wed, 5 Sep 2007 14:34:57 -0700 (PDT)
| Subject: [Audacity-help] Echo recordings.
| When I record streaming audio on my computer, (windows 2000), with
| audacity 1.2.6 I get an echo effect when I playback the recording. I hear
| two beats instead of one. What is the cause and what can I do to clean
| this up.

Please turn off "Software Playthrough" on the Audio I/O tab of Audacity
Preferences - this should not be used when recording streaming audio or
other sounds playing on the computer. This option is meant for playing
back physical inputs (e.g. microphone or line-in) whilst you are recording
from them, because without playthrough you would not be able to hear
them. But when you are recording sound playing on the computer you
must turn this option off, because you are recording the sound multiple
times (i.e. recording the original sound, then recording the playback of the
recording and so on) and so echoes are created.

You cannot effectively remove the echo from the recordings you have
already made, so you will have to record again, if it is possible to grab the
same program again.

Gale Andrews

Outbound message virus free.
Tested on: 9/6/2007 12:04:08 AM